Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrbreeze_gw

Mangosteen!

mrbreeze
16 years ago

I'm back! And I've now climbed the Mt. Everest of tropical fruits in the god forsaken state I live in. Basically when you ask people that have lived in or are from a tropical country, what the best fruit in the world is?...they invariably say either cherimoya (see other thread), or mangosteen. Thus, I've been searching far and wide for years, for both. And once more our amazing Vietnamese market came through.

The dude told me it was the first time fresh mangosteen had ever been sold in Oklahoma. *sniff* Its almost like our state is growing up. It kinda sickens me to think about all the poor saps that live in places where you can get these fruits all the time, and they don't know it. In fact, I shouldn't even be spreading this info. Ok...nevermind, please do not eat mangosteen or cherimoya, nor lychee or santa clause melon.

There is really only one left that i'm aware of. Only one more challenge. One last mountain to climb. It is...*drum roll*...the fruit of the Monstera deliciouso plant. When ripe, the flavor is said to rival the best fruit flavors in the world. When unripe, deadly poison. If anyone's houseplant makes a fruit, may I have it? TIA

-MB

Comments (9)

• albertan
    16 years ago

Some thirty years ago When I first moved to S. Florida, a friend introduced me to his monstera deliciosa which grew rampantly in his front yard, practically covering a very large tree, a beautiful jungle effect. The fruit reminded me more of a firm ripe banana in small cornlike kernels. Diferent, but can't compete in flavor with a nice tree ripened juicy mango!

• mrbreeze
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks for the info Alberta.

The funny thing is, I don't like bananas much at all so you'd think that would scare me off my search. But I gave a piece of mangosteen to a coworker and she said it was like banana. I didn't smack her, but I thought about it. It was nothing like banana in taste or texture. Point being, I will still try monstera if I get a chance. :)

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Were it not a freezing rain storm outside at the moment I would go right to the big Asian grocery store to see what's there. As it is, I will have to settle for frozen blueberries.

• mrbreeze
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A freezing rain never hurt anybody! ;-)

I went back today and got two more bags of mangosteen AND a bag of fresh longan. Over 40 bucks for that! This $hit aint cheap.

Then I went to another store where I got a couple cactus pear, even though I've never been impressed with them before. I figure one more try. I also got a Yali Pear. No idea about that one and since I don't much like pears, I don't have high hopes. But ya never know. I can't wait to bust into them thar mangosteens, mmmmmm.

• xmpraedicta
    16 years ago

I love mangosteen - when I lived in sub-tropical asia there were barrels and barrels of them. I'd get them as a snack on the way to school...but actually I'm lucky enough to live in a very diverse city, and I see all sorts of weird fruits (the edible kind) in the markets. Yali pears - not a big fan...they're too juicy and sweet..like over-eager apples.

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

My own search for fabulous exotic fruits hasn't gone so well! Saturday I finally made it to the Asian super grocery store. All they had of any real interest was guavas and I managed to find one that didn't have a granny-thumb hole in it. It's ripening in a bag on the counter now with a couple persimmons that were like rocks. There was a crate of durian but I wasn't quite up to that. The other thing I got was a big slab of winter melon. It looked so cool and delicious! OK, yeah, you're probably laughing right now because I didn't know it's not a melon. The upside is that I had to hunt up a recipe to use it--a Thai Chicken and Winter Melon Curry--and in the process had to replenish my supply of tamarind paste. There is one more smaller Asian store I know of that I can check but I don't know how soon I'll get there.

• komi
    16 years ago

The alternative is to grow them! Weren't you recently looking for non-orchids to grow?

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

You've got a good point there! As soon as I get a chance, I'll chip through the ice and begin preparing planting beds.

• komi
    16 years ago

Can't you just grow them in the oven? Just rig up an extra light and a mister :P

I can't stand winter melon *blech*