17 years ago

I've talked with some of you, via email,

about other forum experiences.

For the record, How many of you won't

post at the OSF anymore??

I grow orchids...

Well, because I can't help myself!

I like to share my joy with others and,

in turn, share their joy and heartbreak.

I post, or lurk, at several places.

I have many interests.

I actively post at several different GW forums,

as I have the time.

As with everywhere, some are busy and some are slow.

I guess that others run out of time also!! ;)

I really hope that this is an acceptable question to ask!!

I think that there is more than enough wisdom to go around

and see no reason not to talk to other people.

So...

I really hope that this is allowed!

I'd really like to know!

Scott

Comments (31)

• arthurm
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What is the OSF Forum? The forums are like orchid societies, some are deadly serious, some are friendly, some are unfriendly. Some are full of Scientists, others only have newbies. You have to find one that you like and one that suits your interests.
    To me, this is a middle of the road forum. I've been posting here since 2002. Before that i posted on the Orchid Web forum.

• Judybird2014
    17 years ago

this one has the best format, IMO..
    it was so cool yrs ago when Spike was here and would 'discipline' us;-)

• momma_d
    17 years ago

Hi Scott! You and I have emailed (pm'd) about cows, etc. I have a different name here, as my 'real' name and variations thereof were taken when I registered here. This is the first forum I came to when I got into orchids and have made some great friends here.

As for your question.....I rarely post at OSF because:

1. Threads are routinely hijacked and get so far away from the original question that you have to read several pages of bantering between people to find the answer to the original question.

2. There are some posters there that are downright nasty and are never called on their behavior. While others are ganged up on for much lesser things.

3. I feel very much like an 'outsider' there and have no clue how the regulars determine who is 'cool' and who isn't.

4. Rampant overuse of emoties.

So, how're the cows?

Laurie

• arthurm
    17 years ago

i got 'disciplined' several times for using bad language. To each his own, some people actually like a bit of 'disipline'.Lol.
    What is the OSF Like?

• arthurm
    17 years ago

Thanks Laurie, you have answered my question. I hate emoties!!!!!!!

• momma_d
    17 years ago

An occasional emotie can be beneficial when you're trying to convey something that's hard to get across with just the written word. But when people add them ad nauseum it drives me insane. When I see a post full of the evil little things, I scroll right past it. There could be some very valuable info included in the post but I can't force myself to look at all the smiley faces, dancing dudes, etc. to find anything of value in the post.

• cbarry
    17 years ago

Interesting question- I am registered at OSF under the same name here, and I go there and browse, esp when it is boring (sorry!) around here. There is some good stuff there, but Laurie really said it right about the hijacking and clique-y feeling of the place - that's how I feel sometimes too. And those damn emoticons! Sometimes the only response is those, and I find that I scroll through or leave what promised to be a good thread because of them. But maybe if I hung out there more, I would get to know the people, and my opinion might change.

If you're into slippers, there are 2 slipper forums that are very enjoyable, and very very informative. But for general, across the board orchid care, I like it here the best. I just wish that you could edit your posts, and had some of the other features that other forums provide.

Carolyn

• scott361
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Laurie!

Sorry that I haven't got around to answering
    your last PM! I started to and then had computer
    issues and never got back to it.

Cows are fine.
    We have two calves now and will have more...

Well, I'm not really sure.

We just let the different bulls have different herds last year and didn't actually time and plan things.
    Lambs will be on the way in a few months, as well.

With my moms breast cancer diagnosis last year, many things became chaotic.
    She has been doing more than fine!
    All is well for now and back to just semi-chaos!

Note to self...
    Tone down emoties!

I started to use them because
    I tend to ramble and they get the
    point across quickly.

Does that mean that you don't read my
    brilliant postings. ;)

Can I use overly cute GIFs?

I asked this because, I have talked about it off record with several of you
    and needed to have something that was on record!
    I needed to be able to substantiate something that I had said and didn't want to
    betray anything that I was told in confidence.

I use "bad language" there at times and as it's infrequent, I've never had any problems.
    I actually have a really bad mouth at times
    and my online personality is much nicer than reality!

I'm a pseudo-bliss ninnie!
    I can't decide if I want to be in your face about things or just let things go.

Hmm!

Must be part of my German back ground...
    I don't let go easily!

I use the same name everywhere.
    I figure that you have far too much time if you're tracking down what I say and where.
    If I won't say it to your face,
    I shouldn't say it!
    It's not for everyone, but...

Sometimes the hijacking can be really funny
    and I don't mind it that much.
    I think that discipline is fine as long as done evenly and others aren't exempt,
    regardless of how egregious they are.
    I keep getting called a trouble maker because
    I call people on what they say and how they say it
    to everyone.

(Especially to me!)

Even to the Royal Court and its sycophants!

Thanks!!
    Scott

• momma_d
    17 years ago

Glad things are going well with your Mom and the critters. I really miss lambing season. But not enough to have a flock of sheep again :)

I've never noticed you overusing emoties at all. I mean the folks that put one at the end of every freakin' sentence. On one person's posts in particular, there are more of those annoying little things than words. As far as the hijacking goes, sometimes it's fun and amusing. But many times the original poster will try to get back to the original intent of the post and get snapped at because they 'can't take a joke'.

• albertan
    17 years ago

I have been around a good many years--here and on several other forums, but feel this forum is "family." (This question would in reality be better posted on "conversations", on this forum). Repetition can become boring, as many newbies could save themselves much time--and learn so much more--if they used Lisa's well formulated "FAQ" before posting. So much space is wasted on OSF with emoticons being the sole posting, with members using the forum as instant messaging. Very cliquey. To each his own....Long live GW Orchid Forum!

• albertan
    17 years ago

Scott-my apologies--I just realized we ARE on conversation side. Blame it all on senility and may you live long enough to enjoy it, too!!

• scott361
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No worries!!
    WE must all make allowences for
    the aged, lest they kill us in our sleep!

Just teasing!!
    If I can find were I left my drink,
    I'll try and kill a few more brain cells myself!

"But not enough to have a flock of sheep again :)"

What?
    You have a problem with screaming, night and day, 24/7!
    Damn things never shut up!
    I need food,
    I want out,
    I want in,
    I need more grain....
    Have I mentioned that their noisy, too!

"You say you want a revolution
    Well, you know
    We all want to change the world
    You tell me that it's evolution
    Well, you know..."

• scott361
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Apparently, I just quit that other place!
    Odd, how if you respond to
    saccharin disguised venom just as sweetly, you're
    the bad guy!

Scott

• delray54
    17 years ago

sorry to hear that you quit the Orchid Source Forum. The issue there was that your pics were too large to fit some monitors and for the folks with dial-up connection. It really is a good group over there.

• momma_d
    17 years ago

My biggest issue with not having sheep again is fencing. Lambs are experts at escaping and I got very tired of chasing them out of my yard. The deal breaker was when they escaped and ate my husband's lace leaf maple that I'd grown from a tiny baby for him. If I ever come into a large amount of disposable money, I'll hire someone to come out and do some state of the art lamb proof fencing. (The husband helping me do the fencing train left the station long ago. See above mention of lace leaf maple) Then I'd love to have another flock of Dorsets. The noise factor wasn't too bad except for the year that I wasn't able to have the shearing done until after everyone had lambed. My God! The screaming was unbelieveable! For those that don't know what I'm talking about, lambs identify their moms by smell. Once all that wool is sheared off, the scent is gone. The lambs run around yelling their heads off because they don't know which big, white lump is their mother. And the ewes yell back at them. It's crazy! If you happen to be in the barn with them while this is going on you need earplugs.

And how could I forget to add the joy of hoof scald and hoof rot? I finally had to make a trough style foot bath that they had to walk through to get to their chow. When it get's wet and muddy around here (pretty much all spring) scald and rot become a real problem.

• cbarry
    17 years ago

Wow, I'm learning so much non-orchid stuff from Laurie and Scott. Never wanted sheep, and here on LI, NY it would be a hard sell anyway, but this is so interesting!

Carolyn

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

Scott

Back to your original question. I like the OSF, but rarely post over there because it seems to be an effort in futility. Part of the reason for posting on any forum is to be recognized (good or bad) or maybe I should say having someone acknowledge that you exist. It seems that you have to be a part of the established group or clique in order to have your existence acknowledged. How you become a part of that group is beyond me. That takes all the fun out of trying to participate.

With that said, I have done some good trades there and will probably post a question now and then because I know someone over there will have the answer. That forum has some very knowledgeable growers and I won't stop visiting it for that reason. As a place to hang out when I have nothing better to do - nope. It's like watching a party, but you know you're really not invited.

Kevin

• cinnamon
    17 years ago

Scott, I`m sorry that you feel wronged over at OSF, the objection was in regard to your photo size. As far as feeling left out, well, that happens when a group of people have known each other for so many years that "in" jokes have evolved.
    That forum has an abundance of very knowledgeable people and there is a lot to be leaned there.
    Every forum has something different to offer so just frequent the ones you like and leave the others alone.
    I personally think that to post an obviously inflammatory topic about another forum on this forum is in poor taste, but, as they say, to each his own.

• cinnamon
    17 years ago

LOL tomp in pa, momma d talks from both sides of mouth.

• momma_d
    17 years ago

First off, this is the 'conversations' side. This is the area just for such things. Scott and I have talked about our livestock lots of times. And if you read Scott's second post, he spoke about his cows and his sheep. I was telling HIM why I'm not ready to be a keeper of sheep at this time. If the thread veered towards nothing but animal husbandry, I'd start a new one just for that purpose.

I think Kevin summed up how a lot of people feel about the OSF perfectly - It's like watching a party, but you know you're really not invited. And it's too bad. There are some downright hilarious people there, some people that have more knowledge than most of us could ever dream of gaining in our lifetimes and some amazing photos to enjoy. I've been a member there for a long time. But I've learned it's easier to enjoy if I just look at the photos and read a post now and again.

• cjwatson
    17 years ago

I enjoy the Orchid Source Forum and have been posting there for years. I also enjoy this forum and have been posting here for years. I pretty much see the same dynamic at both, the good and the bad, and lots of information at both. If you've been coming here exclusively for years, then you feel like it's home. If you have been posting there exclusively for years, then OSF feels like home. Yes, they both have their cliques; that's the nature of forums and I have never found one that is immune. But if you go to both, then they both will feel like home after a while. It's not an "either/or" thing. You can go to both and double your information about growing orchids, or stay with the one where you feel "at home" and half the information.

Arthur, I think you would like the "other" forum as well as this one; there are several Aussies and Kiwis who regularly post there.

• michigoose
    17 years ago

I left the two other forums because I got tired of the attacks people laid out on each other...but then this is boring....I left another becuase it just got really boring...sknxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx......

Oh yah...here on the conversations side hijacking is allowed and can be even fun...hijacking on the other side is usually ok, unless it gets way off target and the poor person who started the thread never got his question answered (assuming it was a legitimate question), or is abusive. This forum is far less tolerant of abuse and I love it for that....

• fogbeltgardener
    17 years ago

oh my goodness Scott, you're such a drama queen. Just get over yourself already.

• mrbreeze
    17 years ago

I totally agree with everything Kevin and CJ said.

I do think that one difference in the two forums is that the OSF has been more stable, i.e. has not been bought by ivillage, with the result that there is a core of long-time members (the clique, if you will) at the OSF, whereas here, many of what would have been the same type of member have left. I'm not sure if that made any sense grammatically....

I think the best plan is to spread yourself so thin amongst so many forums that if one of them pisses you off you can just go to the next until you forget why you were mad. Works for me.

I don't bother with the AOS forum or any slipper forums. I like the UK forum sometimes but it can get VERY slow and boring. The species specific forum has a lot of potential...some of you should check into it. If only my beloved African Alliance forum was more active *sigh* Oh well, c'est la vie dans la forumes, eh?
    -MB

• cbarry
    17 years ago

So, on the subject of sheep/lamb....

Any good recipes?

I'M JUST JOKING!!!!!

(The regulars in the conversation area, know that many threads turn to food discussions anyway)

Don't flame me, please,
    Carolyn

• arthurm
    17 years ago

I thought the sheep stuff was interesting.
    Carolyn, we have Pitt Street Farmers here. Are there any Wall Street Farmers over there?

Might go and have a sticky at the OSF. Last time i strayed was to look the Rose Forum when they had a little blow up.

Dial up!??? Wonder how many people have still got dial up?

• scott361
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm trying to figure out, exactly,
    where I said anything negative, anywhere!
    The most that I can come up with is a reference to a
    vague system of Royalty and sycophants!

I asked,
    "For the record, How many of you won't
    post at the OSF anymore??"

I also said,
    "Sometimes the hijacking can be really funny
    and I don't mind it that much."

I actually said that I didn't mind the use of
    emoties and have used them many times myself!

At what point did I say that I
    felt wronged?

I never actually said publically, that I quit!

I said,
    "Apparently, I just quit that other place!

"Apparently,"
    By my actions or reaction!
    Seemingly, from appearances, etc

There is a difference!
    I refered to my getting very defensive and nasty
    as a last resort and saying regretable things
    that I left as is!

Read, carefully, exactly what I have said.
    I don't want to hear what you think that I said!
    What have I said!!
    Don't put words in my mouth!

You can say, "Oh, You meant this or you meant that!"

What have I actually said??

fogbeltgardener/desertgardener...
    Pathetic!

Honey, I used to eat people like you for breakfast!
    Sometimes literally!
    Although, I'm sure that you're far past
    the expiration date!

Yes I do know that wasn't nice!
    It wasn't meant to be!

"So, on the subject of sheep/lamb....
    Any good recipes?"

YUM!!
    Carolyn, that's what wethers are for! ;)

I only got high speed recently.
    Up until that time the fastest that
    I've ever been able to get was 26.4K!
    How many of you have slower
    than that!
    I never said one word about
    the many large files, ever.

Yes!
    I did JUST upgraded my monitor to a 22" flatscreen about two weeks ago.
    (It is brand new and has nothing to do with my previous postings.)
    My old one died horribly!
    That was after years of using very small screens.

I never complained once!

Even now, I check out my photos on the other computers here, at home, first.
    They all fit, with only minor up and down scrolling, just like the postings of many others.
    There is absolutely no side to side movement required,
    that I can find.
    If my computer is automatically adjusting the fit...
    How am I suppose to know that?
    I've adjusted everything, else, that I can find.
    I did buy a new digital camera and have been trying to work out the major differences between it
    and anything else that I've ever used.
    Perhaps that is part of the problem!
    I'm not that tech savvy and have been having a very hard time with it.

Regardless, the few photos that I've posted have all fit well on the two desktops and the three laptops
    that I've tried them on.
    I can't see that what I view is that different from what others see.
    I see postings that are far, far larger than mine and nothing is ever said.

I wrote about bridges, last night, because I have tried to participate in and add to discussions.
    I won't join in feeding frenzies!
    After constant poking,
    I said something nasty in return and learned what people,
    that I thought that I liked, really felt.

I'm still shocked!

I'm saddened that I've wasted so much time
    with people that that can feel that way.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

We could talk about Anna Nicole and Britney????????

(this is where I could use an emotie or two)

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Flame broiled lamb...yum... I happen to love to eat lamb, and grown up on a sheep farm until I was 12, I don't see a problem with it...ya know, thay aren't the little itty bitty things that they made them seem on the Silence of the Lambs and you only need so many rams...and it isn't like you can use them for draft animals...and the market for wool is still depressed....at least that's what a local lady told me when I expressed shock at the fact that she puts her fleeces in the dumpster because she can't get anything for them......

I do happen to have a new recipe for baked pears with raspberry sauce...it was really really yummy.

• jane__ny
    17 years ago

This is too much for me! I'm heading back to the Gallery and play with posting pictures. Please don't yell if they are too big. Have to learn somewhere.

I just dropped over here to read something other than Orchids. Forget it...

Jane