Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
picotee_sofl

Survey calls at dinner time

picotee_sofl
18 years ago

These survey calls are driving me nuts! Every night at dinner time I can count on at least one. I'm on the national Do Not Call list - so how do they manage to get around that? Surveys are a prime tool of marketers.

Comments (9)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    18 years ago

That's why God invented caller ID. Out of Area calls don't get answered at my house.

• mdahms1979
    18 years ago

If you ask them not to call you again they have to stop for at leats one year. If you find the same company calls again report them and they will be fined. Hanging up does not work especially because these companies use electronic dialers so your number just gets thrown back in the system to be called back in another 8-12 hours.

I used to work for a telephone company who used this same tactic and I felt horrible for the poor people that would get called over and over by their sales department. You really have to go the extra mile and get names, numbers, etc. so you can hold them accountable.

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

Yes, I can't say enough good things about caller ID.

• shannon_widmer
    18 years ago

I don't have caller ID so I just let the answering machine pick up all the time. Those that count know to keep talking until I pick up the phone :)

• clairewags
    18 years ago

I let my DH talk to them. We had someone who wanted to take a poll of the movies we saw recently. He had them on the phone for a half hour- and they hung up.

• michigoose
    18 years ago

One of the ways they get around it is if they have had contact with you before....like the silly bank trying to get me to take out (another) credit card with them.

• cjwatson
    18 years ago

Marci, unfortunately they don't stop surveys. But irregardless, you need to sign up to Florida no-call list as well. It is more efficient than the national one. I got on the FL list about two or three years ago, and have only had maybe a half dozen telemarketers calls since. Used to have about ten a day! It takes a month or two to get your name active. There's a small fee, but maybe that's why it works so well; you get what you pay for, lol.

Here is a link that might be useful: FL Dept Agriculture & Consumer Services

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

Yup, caller ID and/or just don't answer the phone. The other thing is, don't list your number, although that can take a few years to be effective. After 7 or so years of having an unlisted number, mine doesn't even show up on Google.

Unfortunately, there are city directories that the city puts out that list your number and address, if they have it.

I look at it this way, it's my phone, if telemarketers and/or bill collectors want me to answer it 24/7, they can pay for it.

When people would call looking for Mr. (my last name) the ex would tell them he was dead/recently passed away (true the only Mr. my last name, would be my dad and he's dead). That usually got them to shut up, although sometimes they'd try to sell him whatever they were selling anyway.

• picotee_sofl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, all. CJ -good info. Mike - I asked nicely to remove our number from the list. My answer phone will now do the talking until I get Caller ID.