Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westoh

Ice Ice Baby

westoh Z6
13 years ago

Here in west central Ohio we got 36 hours of freezing rain, sleet and snow. @1 inch of ice on everything at one point, @80,000 without power. Thankfully here in the Dayton area, some of the ice melted and fell off the trees before we got our 50-60MPH wind gusts yesterday.

This morning it's 14 degrees, I have 1" inch of "solid" ice on my driveway and walks and 2" of snow on top of that, plus I shoveled the drive and walks clean of 1/2" of ice Tuesday night. Tried to shovel this morning at 5:00AM, but it made things worse, so I threw a little salt and am hoping the sun will help out today, I'll try again after work. Just a real nice early February here in Ohio.

On the good side, we haven't had any major snow storms (at most @6" at any one time), the Miami Valley Orchid Show is being held in 2 weeks (2/19-20 at Cox Arboretum) and Phil didn't see his shadow yesterday. Hurry up spring!!!

How did everyone else fair through this storm?

Arthur, how about you down under?

Vanilla Bob :-)

Comments (5)

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

It only reached 68F yesterday afternoon and it went down to 38F tonight here in SOCAL and I feel very sorry for myself. Needed to read the above to put things in perspective!

I think Arthur has plenty of water but no ice.

Nick

• arthurm
    13 years ago

There has been no water from the sky for about three weeks but that is par for the course these around parts. Category 5 Cyclone Yasi was a long long way north of here. Fingers crossed for some rain soon. UV yesterday 13 and temperature near 100F on that old fashioned temperature scale.

PS. I have said many times how much i hate snow. Yuk!

• highjack
    13 years ago

Glad you didn't lose power Bob. I'll take snow any time over the dreaded ice.

You know the weather is strange when Corpus Christie International Airport is close due to ice.

Brooke

• orrin_h
    13 years ago

Tucson AZ had basically the freeze of the century last week; nothing like most of the country is dealing with, but we are sooo not used to this level of cold. Covering plants was pretty useless without some form of additional heating protection (xmas lights etc). Many cacti sort of 'explode' when water freezes internally; so do water pipes, which burst all over town (local hardware store ran out of supplies to repair them). Eep.

That bloody groundhog had better be right.

-O-

• westoh Z6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

WooHoo!!!

Got to 49 degrees here Sunday. Actually thawed the 3" of ice off of my sidewalks for the first time since 2/3. Got an e-mail from EOoM Friday, they will be shipping the order I placed on 12/28 today, Yipee!!!

Bob

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES