Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tuezday1

And, it might get worse, but... for the terminally nosy

tuezday1
18 years ago

Seems Ivillage is up for sale.

On the computer forum, it was mentioned Spike got almost 1 million for GW. You know he's sitting on a beach laughing all the way to the bank. Good for him though.

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: ivillage article

Comments (8)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    18 years ago

I suppose I could look this up, but when did GW start? Has anyone been out here from the beginning? I have a feeling Spike did an incredible job building this place to what it is (or was) before he sold it. He should be sitting on a beach counting his $. Good for him.

K

• ladybug_ok
    18 years ago

Right-o, Kev! I liked the K.I.S.S approach he had. But...iV seems to think the more complex/bigger/profit-making approach is better. I hate feeling like a commodity!

Did you notice in the article that GW didn't even get an honorable mention?

• howard_a
    18 years ago

How would you go about looking it up Kev? I too would be curious about its age. I came here from rec.gardens.orchids and for awhile lived a double life on both forums. This would have been around '92! I've taken only one long hiatus in that time. There is a certain Floridian (name starts with A) that might predate me but GW didn't seem 'new' at the time I got the feeling it had been around awhile even before I joined but I wonder how long that could have been. How old is the Web?

H

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    18 years ago

Howard

I guess it isn't as easy as I thought. I did do some searching and couldn't find a thing. Maybe the Rose people would know. They seem to know everything.

K

• howard_a
    18 years ago

If Spike has any sense he will bank the mil and keep working as hard as before. Fixer uppers in Rego Park (Queens) are pushing $500,000. You've got to have several million these days to laze on the beach like the guy in Shawshank redemption. If ever there was a hard way to the good life that was it.

H

• tuezday1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I don't know Howard, 10% interest on 1 mil is $100k a year, if he invests well. In Mexico he could live like a king on that and have plenty left over.

• cbarry
    18 years ago

While Mexico is lovely, I would recommend Costa Rica! Much nicer place, IMHO, and very inexpensive as well. And I agree with Howard about working for a while. Let that money make more money, add to it, spend some on some fun stuff, and then be able to retire and *really* have $$ saved up. The gov't will take a lot of that 1 mil anyway, Spike won't walk away with the full amount. And 1 mil doesn't really go that far over a lifetime these days.

• tuezday1
    Original Author
    18 years ago

If Spike is smart, the money never hit a US bank.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus