Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ntgerald

My cat likes to pee on my bed

ntgerald
18 years ago

Its the third time this month hes done that.

I change the sheets but the matress holds the smell for a long, long time.

Short of giving the cat away, what can be done here? I try my best to keep him out of my bedroom but hes stealthy.

He pees on my bed, even though the bedroom door is open for him to go to the litter box downstairs.

I am sick and tired of this. I am one of those people whose bed has to smell fresh.

Comments (48)

• tuezday1
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

1. If it were my cat, he'd have been plastered up against a wall after the first time.

2. You can buy mattress pads that have plastic lining.

3. Or get a cheap throw-away type comforter and keep the bed made.

4. Put a litter box in the bedroom but I suspect your cat is marking his territory, which means, I suspect, he thinks he's top dog and you're chopped liver. (#1 should give him a good dose of humility).

5. Just kill the cat.

For the record, I will add that oh, about 7 or so years ago I bought a wonderful, thick, comfy, warm comforter from Lands End. Got it, stuck it on the bed, one of the dogs immediately peed on it. Stuck it in the back of a closet for a couple of years before dragging it to a laundromat to wash it. Brought it home, stuck it on the bed, same dog immediately peed on it. Once again, tossed it in the back of a closet for several years. Presently its at the dry cleaners. I'm afraid to go get it.

• cbarry
    18 years ago

Is this a sudden behavior change? Does he pee anywhere else in the house? Has something else happened in the house (new pet, loss of pet, new person, etc)?

There are sprays that are supposed to keep animals from peeing in places, but I doubt that you want to spray that on your bed.

Have you tried scat mats? What about putting a plastic sheet or shower curtain over your bed while you're not in it?

Carolyn

• cbarry
    18 years ago

Years ago my MIL had a mean nasty hateful cat (to everyone, not just me) who peed on my shoes. Once. She was also old and slow, and I caught her when she did it. I rubbed her face in the pee and smacked her behind and then let her go.

She never did that again.

• ntgerald
    Original Author
    18 years ago

About a year ago the cat was left for an hour or two inside the bedroom (door closed, can't leave the room). Thats the first time he's peed on the bed.

I think there were two more episodes after that, and now with this recent increase in activity I think he's marked my bed as his own peeing place.

I wanted to strangle him but I settled for several corporeal physical punishments, which I doubt would teach him a lesson, and was more for my own frustration. (Sadly, I've stooped to his level).

• cbarry
    18 years ago

If you haven't tried rubbing his face in it, you might want to try that. I can't imagine any cat wanting pee on its face. And he'll know it's his. Maybe rub his face in it, smack his behind, and then plop him in a nice clean litter pan. A good "NO! Bad kitty!" might help. But then again, I treat my cats kind of like dogs. But cats figure those things out fast.

Carolyn

• michigoose
    18 years ago

cbarry, I don't think that will make a cat change its ways...just make it a very very mad cat.

Has this cat been neutered or spayed? If not, do so immediately. This territory marking thing can be related to that, as well as the other problems noted above.

You can get sprays to 1. neutralize the smell so the cat doesn't want to remark, this uses enzymes which break down the initial marking 2. provide a scent which we as humans don't smell, but the cat can and won't mark. This has to be repeated though and eventually the critter usually will lose interest.

Good luck. I'd also google it, and you'll find other better suggestions, I'm sure, especially off the cat vet sites and some of the larger pet stores....

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

Nelson, the problem is this. For most of this cat's life you thought it was a Mimi. Cat's might have real issues with switching gender rolls.

(I still find it incredibly amusing that you, of all people, made this mistake)

• ntgerald
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Laura, I didnt see any testicles when he was a month old. O rmaybe they were there but I hadnt inpected well.

Perineal area that is topographically flat = female. I am sorry I had made that mistake.

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

Nelson, lighten up. You are as human as the rest of us. I just happened to see the irony and found it amusing, as such, you ain't gonna live it down.

You'd be disappointed in me, otherwise, admit it.

• Ginge
    18 years ago

I agree with Liz have him neutered .
    I had a cat in Ca. that would pee in my car if he could get in it , neutering him stopped the marking hot car = Peeee U . I would of rubbed his face in it a long time ago . Gin

• michigoose
    18 years ago

The way you tell a male kitten from a female kitten isn't from "anal topography" because the testicles don't descend for a while. The thing is this...looking at their tails, if it looks like an upside down exclamation point, it is a female. If it looks like a colon ( : ) it's a male. Both males and females become sexually mature at about 6 months and when a tom starts spraying, it is really an awful thing....neutering/spaying is done earlier now than it used to be, often at 3 months because it has been discovered that it doesn't harm the animal, but can prevent health problems down the road and "surprise" pregnancies.

Quite frankly, I would never have an unaltered cat. Altered cats/dogs are usually much nicer to live with. There are far too many cats in the world and we don't need any more. Fluffy doesn't care if she has a litter or not, and contrary to what they used to believe in my home town, Tom cats DO have kittens, you're just not stuck with the offspring like the owners of the females are. (cachunk...Lisa stepping off soapbox....)

Cornell University has a new cat book which covers cat behavior. I thought they had a website with behavior information, but when I visited it, it really didn't have much info.

Also, as was stated before, inappropriate urination can be caused by a urinary tract problem, usually infection. Untreated urinary problems can (and often do) result in cat death.

Here is a link that might be useful: another cat website with pertinent info

• picotee_sofl
    18 years ago

Nelson - often when cats (especially males) are having urinary problems they will 'blame' their sandboxes for the discomfort. Have you had him checked for the possible formation of crystals in the bladder? Also - have you thought of putting a plastic liner under your sheet until the problem is solved? My female cat is suffering from Kidney Failure and when she sleeps with me she sometimes 'leaks' the liquid we use to hydrate her daily. I use the plastic bags from the drycleaners to keep the mattress dry. Fortunately, the liquid she 'leaks' has no odor.

• howard_a
    18 years ago

Absolutely this cat should be spayed pronto. Now that the behavior is ingrained spaying might not immediately cure it. Have a squirt bottle handy and soak him when/if he does it again. It's more humane than rubbing his face in it which as was said probably would just piss him off or rather piss him on. Cats are my preferred animal companions but I will admit that dogs are somewhat easier to keep your cool around after they've been a 'bad doggie'. Cats have this infuriating insouchance. "Yeah, I did it, now what, it's your move homey". If it weren't for spray bottles I might have had to wallop a couple over the years. It doesn't really cure some cats but it does allow you to vent in a way that won't permanently cripple the creature.

But before I leave this and I'm sorry I have to go here (but since Laura has already had her turn with you...) animals don't usually spray where they sleep so I must wonder if your cat sleeps with you or not and if not why not? Doesn't your cat like you and if not why not chuck it? It is no reflection on you if it doesn't and absolutely permissible to give him to another home and get another cat that does adore you and wouldn't pee on your bed for any reason except maybe that you didn't spay him and he was forced to sit in the window and watch all that fine tail sashaying around the neighborhood...

H

• rita_h
    18 years ago

Might check out a product called Feliway or Feliway Comfort Zone. It mimics the cat's pheromones and marking chemicals to discourage litterbox problems and general stress relief. It's available as a spray and a room diffuser. Supposedly doesn't affect humans.

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Feliway is expensive...I paid $35 for a small bottle to move my cats down here, and to be quite frank, I'm not sure that it really helped. But it is out there and worth a try if other stuff didn't help. If you are trying to get the cat to stay away from that area, then Scat Cat! or one of the other ones are cheaper and work just as well.

As was stated above, putting a sheet of plastic over the bed when you're not in it will also work. They don't like the crackly sound and even if he did pee, it won't hurt your bed, but pool on the plastic.

• dottyinduncan
    18 years ago

We had a male neutered cat that started peeing in the house. He had crystals in his urine and an infection in his bladder which initiated the problem and then it just became a bad habit. We put up with it for quite a while but when another problem developed we had him put down. We tried everything. You should take him to the vet though in case there is something wrong. I've never had this with a cat before and hope to never have it again. It's disgusting. We have a new female kitty now that is going to be spayed on Wednesday and she's a real sweetie. She has her own set of bad habits but nothing as bad as the peeing! Just trying to get up on counters and tables etc. and sneak food.

• cbarry
    18 years ago

Well, putting kitty's nose in the pee is really not mean or cruel. And just for the record, I have 2 cats- a 14 yr old female and a 12 yr old male, both fixed. I adore them, and the male sees it as his duty to help dry my ankles or shins when I get out of the shower (= he loves me too). So I'm not mean to my kitties. But being a dog person, when they have to be scolded they are treated more like dogs (a gentle thump on the nose and a smack on the behind with "Bad Kitty!"), which may help explain why they have some clearly dog-like habits.

But I digress. Even a change in type of litter, or less than optimal box cleaning habits could upset him. Our male was very leery of the change to scoopable litter. But he finally agreed that it really was a good switch :)

Carolyn

• carleen_a
    18 years ago

agree with everything up above including the smack on the nose &/or rump and the spray bottle & they all work to varying degrees but I thought I would just add my bit. I have one cat (out of the 3 - all neutered females) who is more sensitive to unchanged litter & decided to choose a corner of the dining room as her toilet once when I was really busy at work & forgot about the litter. (I agree - how could you?) Pepper works a treat! Grind some fresh pepper in the spot he has taken to & your cat will avoid it like the plague - chilli works well too, I hear, but is a bit less gentle! It really sounds like he needs neutering though, before anything works for good.

• ntgerald
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Im trying to find time to take him to the vet. This past week he's been kind of not his usual self---I mean, hes not eating as much (and not as active), after the day I chased him around to give him a smack. For the record, he must have known he was wanted because I was not able to catch him at that time...

Howard, my cat is very affectionate and wants more time with me, just rubbing himself on my legs, plus he always wants to be coddled. I do this for a few minutes in the morning and then another session at night. I think he will sleep with me if I allow him to. But, I cannot tolerate animals on my bed. Plus, I am on steroids oral spray for asthmatic-type bronchitis and on top of this I have to occasionally add another steroid nasal spray for allergic rhinitis.

• tuezday1
    18 years ago

Dogs that aren't neutered can develop prostate problems, maybe cats can too (of course this may just be a "line" to get people to spay dogs, I've never heard of them suggesting a man get castrated to alleviate prostate problems), maybe that's whats wrong with your cat.

Nelson, I've got allergies and bronchitis too, I just grin and bear it, blow, sniff and sneeze and let the dogs on the bed. It's also possible your cat might start out sleeping on your bed, but leave after a few minutes. One of my dogs does that nightly, while the other one will either stay on the bed or move to the floor. Your cat may or may not do the same thing. A lot of it depends on the size of the bed and how many times a night you roll over on them or kick them with your feet (I know this happens, one dog of mine would bite my ankles when I did this to her, hard enough to wake me up).

Laura

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

OK, I have to give the dissenting opinion on the whole "rub their face in it" method.

I've HEARD that in order for that method to be effective, you have to catch him in the act, and do it right then and there. Otherwise, the cat is much less likely to associate the bahavior with the punishment, and instead just wonder why he is being punished. His confusion may lead to further problems.

On a more personal note, I once had two little kittens. One made a mess on the floor, and as I caught her in the act, I did as many people are suggesting here (put her nose to it- not rub in it, and a little smack on the nose). I soon found out the kittens had parvo and had little control over their bodily functions. They were too tiny of cats to be nursed to health, so I had to have them put down. To this day I feel horrible that their short lives involved punishment for things out of their control ... Wouldn't it be sad if you rubbed you precious kitty's face in his feces only to find out that it is a result of a medical condition and not just bad behavior?

I understand the frustration--I think anyone with pests has been there. I just urge everyone not to act too quickly without first finding the root of the unwanted behavior.

Purrr! Nicole

• dottyinduncan
    18 years ago

My Animal Shelter refugee was spayed yesterday, and had a hernia repair at the same time. Last night she looked a little seedy (fur not perfect), but she was eating, playing and running around as if nothing had happened. This am she is bright eyed and rubbing my ankles just like usual. She's a great kitty! I wouldn't have a cat that wasn't neutered -- I am not in the cat breeding business.

• mostlymoss
    18 years ago

I would strongly discourage you from physically reprimanding your cat. In my experience, cats don't respond well to this type of discipline, and will just become neurotic. The two things that I have found to work well are a squirt gun, or (I know this sounds silly) blowing on their face. Works every time on our cats if they are on the counter. Just blow on their face, and they are gone. Be gentle, and don't use canned air or anything forceful, just your mouth. Those two techniques are effective ONLY when you have caught the cat in the act, and I wouldn't necessarily recommend them for urinary issues, as this might just discourage your cat from peeing where you can see him.

For litterbox issues, I would recommend:
    -rule out any health issues first.
    -neuter the cat if he is not neutered.
    -you need to remove the smell from the bed. Cats noses are much more sensitive than ours. It sounds like your cat was more or less forced into using the bed the first time, but now it is marked with his scent, and as far as he is concerned, it is another litterbox. Until you remove the scent, it will be very difficult to convince him otherwise. Try an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle. I hate to say it, but you might have to replace the mattress. You could cover the new one until you are sure the problem is gone.
    -ensure that the litterbox is placed in a quiet area where your cat feels secure
    -ensure that the litterbox is scrupulously clean. I have 2 cats, 2 litterboxes, and they both get scooped 2x/day. Some cats are very fastidious about their litterboxes.
    -use positive reinforcement when your cat does use the litterbox. My cat got sick at one point, and had some litterbox problems. I learned her schedule, and right after dinner when I knew she would have to pee, I called her to the litterbox area. She would use the box, and I would tell her what a marvelous, brilliant, beautiful kitty she was. It didn't take long for her behavior to change. Make it fun, but not loud or chaotic. I still praise her when I see her using the box, just to be sure...
    -as suggested above, while you are doing this other stuff, I would encourage you to put something crinkly or otherwise unpleasant to your cat on the bed. I found that aluminum foil is great cat repellant, but I haven't tried it on such a large area.
    -if none of that works, you could try getting another litterbox. The rule of thumb is to have one more box than you have cats. I've never had to do that, but some cats like to pee in one, and poop in another, or they just want a really, really clean box, and having two means twice as much time before they consider it dirty.

Good luck! I know this can be frustrating, but keep in mind that your cat is not doing this to irritate you. He is either not feeling well, or is just confused. You just need to find a way for the lightbulb to go off in his brain "Hey, the litterbox is down here!"

Jessica

Here is a link that might be useful: litterbox problems

• michigoose
    18 years ago

How's kitty? What's happening? Inquiring minds need to know. :)

• ntgerald
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I have been extra careful about him entering my bedroom. On top of the matress, I put in a lining of plastic that I saved from the dry cleaning place. On top of that went the sheets. I'm fine, as is. I hope to be able to take the cat to the vet within a week.

• wahgooshdidit
    18 years ago

Have you tried mothballs? They seem to keep cats out of my garden. Of course, you have to live with the mothball smell ;-)

I don't know if this has anything to offer, but ---

My cat, Katherine of Tarragon (Katy Kitty), started peeing in the corner of the dining room a couple of years ago. I couldn't figure out what to do short of a one way trip to the humane society (oh, the horror). I was about to leave on my annual trip to NY and didn't want to be upset the whole trip, so I decided to deal with it when I came back. I set out an extra litter box, plenty of food and water for five days and off I went. When I got back, one litter box had been peed in, the other had been pooped in and the dining room carpet was dry. It seems she just didn't want to pee and poop in the same box. Problem solved

• michigoose
    16 years ago

ok..so Turtle mats aren't available in the US....

• ntgerald
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Apparently removed, cbarry.

My cat was spayed about two months ago. He is gaining weight. He is better behaved but I suspect he will not hesitate to pee on the sheets if accidentally locked inside a bedroom.

Making sure he is outside of the bedrooms all the time has become second nature to me.

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Ntgerald - so glad you fixed your cat!

Olya, Spay/Neuter Clinic volunteer

• standp
    14 years ago

First off NEVER change the food they usually have and like. a neighbor gave us a bag of food because his cat had died BIG MISTAKE, i should have neverrrr fed our cat the different food... also we recently had a visitor here for 3 months that had left and Kalli our one female cat started pissing on the visitor bed, well not good because my wife sleeps in it some nights. anyway take heed, and do the above and below:

SOLUTION To Cat peeing on bed is a simple one!

use 10 parts vinegar to one part water, mix in a spray bottle and spray all over the bed liberally. It smells better than urine (yes i know it stinks but not like urine!!!) and the cat should stop the pissing on it as vinegar is potent, just TRY holding vinegar near a cats nose and You will see.

StanDP proud owner of Polli, Manxi, And Kalli Our three female cats.
    a change in a cats environment disrupts a cats well being and so they take action the way they know... Peace!

• helixmama
    12 years ago

Something I have been trying for the last 6 months that is working for me. My male cat, almost 2 yrs old, tries to claim my bed because he does not like the female dog that sleeps with us. We think he wants the honor because I rescued him. He nailed my bed the first time and I did not want it happening again. I throughly spray down my bed with and aerosol very strong floral air fresher every time I change the sheets. Febreze products seem to be working well atm. He has never nailed the bed, or any other furniture, since and prefers now to stay off my bed completely. I was also having issues with both cats inappropriately scratching my new door jams. This little trick also worked to keep the cats away from where they should not scratch. There is also motion detector air puffers that can be used to scare a cat off inappropriate places. I have not tried them yet but I will shop for them if I need them in the future. So far we are all living in harmony.

• stitzelweller
    12 years ago

"Bitter Apple"
    or
    similar products

work wonders for canines & felines, although felines are less responsive.

Give it a try.

--Stitz--

• whitecat8
    12 years ago

nt, how's your cat, if he's still with you? Did the neutering take care of the problem?

• ntgerald
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Drats. I haven't been here in ages.

But yes, my beloved cat is still with me. He has become very docile with neutering. He is almost 7 years old. What is the equivalent of that in cat-years?

• bubblesthecat
    12 years ago

My cat has peed on my bed for the second time in a month. I have a dog and another cat; he likes both the dog and the other cat. I moved 5 months ago, and he peed in all the empty boxes and on whatever clothes were lying on the floor in the new place. Unfortunately, I could not unpack so quickly. I love this cat dearly, he's a pain in the you know where when he does things to get my attention, but I still laugh it off, hug him and kiss him. This morning I was lying in bed at 8am, and Mr. let's pee on mommy's bed while she's still in it and lets see how she will react. So he decide to scooch up to my back and started peeing. I usually like to cuddle with him so when I felt him leaning on my back, I pulled him near me when I felt the wetness on the bed. I don't know how to explain to him that this is bad behaviour and that he has to stop. He's locked in the bathroom right now because I don't know what else to do. I always have him checked at the vet and he's good. I feel him Royal Canin, he eats like a little pig but I don't mind, I go out and make sure he has the best food. He usually wakes me up at like 5AM because he wants to get fed, and I get up every morning to feed him. I think he also peed on my rug a few weeks ago, I'm not sure, but it was wet when I stepped on it. I had no choice, I had to move...I give these pets everything they want and I always put them before me; they are like my kids...why is he doing this to me

• arthurm
    12 years ago

Hopefully someone will give you some ideas on how to overcome your problem aside from having him locked in the bathroom for ever.

My guess at the question in the previous post re. cat age versus human age is
    cat age 7 = human age about 35.

Here is a cat related blog that may be of interest. Hopefully the cat name entry will stop near the top for a few days.

Here is a link that might be useful: a discussion about cat names.

• canter2u
    12 years ago

I hopefully just ended a nightmare of a month Ora more of daily peeings on the beds in 2 giestbedrooms. It all seemed to escalate AFTER I found homes for 3 barn kittens I was rehanging in one of the bedrooms, and put our eldest cat down who lived back there with them, and gave rest to the kittens' mother after catching her, fixing her, then releasing her. There was random peeing for a couple weeks every two to three days on either bed. Then for thanksgiving we tore up the rehab room carpet, and pad, put down luan, and new high end laminate. Left the auto-electric-crystal litter-self cleaning litter box in my bathroom. It had for a while been in the back bedroom. I liked it there, end of the hall, no litter on my bathroom floor.

So here is my basic info. I am down to 8 cats, yes I ,know, 8... Some have issues: Shamu is the thug, queen in waiting, now queen of all that her mom passed away. Watusi is a beautiful long haired BIG part Maine coon that gets picked on by Shamu and buddy mostly. They corner her coming and going from the litter. In my bathroom, it is a shorter walk and safer, when it is in the back bedroom, she has more real estate in the long hallway to get jumped. Poor Watusi.

Rule no. 1: it is true, don't ASSUME you know which cat is doing the peeing, if you have more than one.

So after the others were gone, and the back bedroom brand spanking clean and perfect the daily peeing on the 2 bed began. Luckily I had waterproof mattress covers on all bed. Every morning and or when I got home from work there was pee saturating the foot or head of one of the guest beds. I was daily washing quilt, flannel sheets and matress covers...I was doing this daily for almost 2weeks, I'd say.
    Plan one: I farmed Buddy off to inlays thinking either he is doing it, or his neutered male presence is inciting it. Someone still peed.
    Plan two: brought Buddy home has I took Shamu the Queen Thug cat to vet for tests and to narrow the peeing field. Someone still peed.
    Plan three: Shamu had still not given up pee at vet, but her blood work came back healthy so I sent Brindie to vet with her. Brindie is another barn mama cat who go a bad abcess in a fight, while being treated became very tame loving and fat. Too fat to send out to barn to climb stall doors, or run from other cats. And guess what, still some pee.
    Plan four. The vet gave me several sodium fluoricien papers. I soaked them in a little water and put it in an oral syringe and put it down shamu's mouth. 3 syringes. Someone peed, not Shamu, and i tried another cat, and still not the right one. I should mention I got a backlight/pee finder light from a chain pet store. The pee and even poo with fluoresce bright green or orange if more diluted.
    Plan 5: Brindie tests positive for a bladder infection and needs antibiotics for 12 days....not that we haven't had pee while she has been gone, so for her return, input the auto litter pan in the basement, bring up regular litter, fresh step scoopable naturals, and also put a pan in the back bedroom, where I have a small dog gate, that she can jump in and out. I also give the fluoresce stuff to Watusi. It has been 9 days, no pee on either bed....
    Our thoughts: it was the crystal litter. They or one, doesn't like it. Whoever they may be.
    Just also to clarify, I double washed and quadruple rinsed each load, two loads each bed linens and also soaked in Natures Miracle. Every day, for weeks....good luck.

• anettta
    12 years ago

So, I am reading these messages, and I want to know whether these are always males, and always, or mostly comforters. My female cat had a stretch of off litter box peeing, but only because I cleaned the LB with bleach and she couldn't stand it, and even before I caught on to the fact that that was the reason (and replaced the LB), she would always pee in what she thought were good LB substitute - the bathtub, an empty suitcase and so on.

The male started peeing on the bed at some point about a year ago. Agreed, when he Is otherwise perturbed - we move a fair amount. But only on the comforter. By now, at least 4 distinct comforters in four distinct locations. I now replaced the comforter with synthetic blankets (alas), and no more peeing. Really DOES make one wonder!

• tiger413
    12 years ago

You can't "discipline" a cat as you would a child. That's absurd. They don't think like humans do, nor do they reason like we do. To hit or abuse a cat, will create a very frightened animal that will be traumatized for the rest of its life. It will jump at its own shadow, and be constantly petrified in anticipation of the next beating. Why do that to an animal?
    People need to understand why cats defecate and urinate around the home when there is a perfectly clean litter box nearby.
    I have a cat, she's now 15 years old and she's been doing this on and off for the past 15 years. We've read up on this, done research, listened to dog/cat experts and none of their advice worked. I've "figured" this out on my own. Cats in the wild (lions, tigers, etc) "mark" territory using their feces and/or urine. When a domestic cat does the same thing inside its home, it's "marking". The question is: why does the cat mark? My best guess is, to help its owner "find it". Translation: I've found whenever me or my husband (or both of us) leave the home for extended periods of time, our cat will "mark" our home using both her feces and urine, usually on my husband's clothing, or a towel. In her little cat brain, she's leaving us a "scent" for us to find our way home. She doesn't like it when we leave the house, she would prefer we stay at home all the time, so we could pet her all the time, which is how she expects us to spend our time - petting her. In her mind, petting her comes above everything else. So when we're gone from home, she doesn't like that one little bit. And if we're gone long enough, she's figured we're "lost" and we need to find our way back home. So she "marks", using her urine, and/or her feces. Our cat has used both to "mark" for us. So would 'beating' her help? Would "discipline" help? As already mentioned, NO. You have to figure out animal psychology to understand just what makes them tick and what doesn't. Our latest way of handling our cat, is to lessen the amount of time petting her. It's hard for us, because we like to pet her, but this is a last resort for us. I'm sorely tempted to pet her, but I don't want her soiling our home. And rather than have her euthanized, we'd rather have her around a warm home with good food and clean water and live out her life. But with minimal petting, because the more we pet and spoil her, the more she soils our home. We'll see where this latest "theory" takes us. More later.

• westoh Z6
    12 years ago

Interesting concept/theory? This is why I am a 'dog' person.

It's funny this continues to be the most active thread in Conversations...

Bob

• CatOwner1234
    11 years ago

Several years ago, a neighbour that could not have an indoor cat due to family allergies took to providing food, play and catnip treats to visiting cats (and fed the racoons that lived under her porch, too). She saw no harm in what she was doing and refused to stop.

My big, handsome, neutered tom stopped coming home; I heard the inevitable cat fight occurring on her doorstep, with my cat in a starring role. The SPCA showed up at her house the very next day.

Although I understood he liked being outdoors, I knew I had to bring him inside permanently and make him an indoor cat, but lots of attention and affection were not enough. Treasure was accustomed to going outdoors and would only use a freshly cleaned litter box, which was very difficult to provide at all times of the day and night with other cats in the house. I admit I grew quite annoyed with him when he started peeing on my legs while I was sleeping after the litter box had been used by another cat and he had to go.

Since he seemed to like to substitute cloth for litter, my solution was to set up a plastic boot tray ($1.25 at the Dollar Store) in the bathroom with a clean towel on top, just for him, by tearing old towels in half and hemming them on the cut side. He loved having his own tray and used it from the very first day!

I wash each laundry load twice. Apart from additional laundry, the towels continue to work beautifully. To this day, he has never soiled anywhere in the house again, not even once. However, he is kind of stupid and I cannot pile my own used towels on the bathroom floor anymore because he will go on that towel pile, too, but oh well...the stinky problem is completely resolved.

• arin1330
    11 years ago

Great thread, learned a lot from it, as I have the same problem.

Adopted two super cute kittens a month ago from the shelter. About a week in, my wife had them sleep with her on the bed while I was out of town. One of the kittens pooped on the bed during the night. She blamed herself b/c she had closed the bedroom door so they couldn't get to the litterbox.

A week later one the kittens pees on our 12yo son's bed. We thought it was him at first but he wasn't wet, just his sheets. In this case the door was open.

In the last 3 weeks, whenever we make the mistake of leaving either cat in our bedrooms, or leaving the bedroom doors open, there is a good chance they'll go on the beds.

My wife thought the litterbox wasn't clean enough for them. Less than an hour after tossing it out and replacing it with fresh litter, one of the kittens peed in our bed.

Another poster commented that cats aren't spiteful calculating to any degree that they are doing this as some sort of payback. I completely agree. I truly believe it's as simple to a cat as "I peed here before, all went well, it's far away from my food and where I spend most of my time, so it's a good spot, might as well keep doing it here." That simple.

That's what's wrong with cats, no empathy!

From reading other posts I have formualted a very simple two part solution:

1. Always keep bedroom doors closed and litterbox clean as possible. This way might be able to wait this behavior out, and in a year smell will be completely gone, and they'll forget they had ever peed on the beds.

2. If kitties pee anywhere outside of litterbox, ANYWHERE, I will stick their face in it for a good 30 seconds before cleaning it up. They will fight and try to claw their way up, but I will keep them in it. They won't know why I'm doing it but they WILL know it's their pee, and that they don't want me to do it.

They will quickly realize that the only place they can pee safely (where they don't get this treatment) is the litterbox, and I am very sure they will stick to the litterbox exclusively then.

• Ursi56
    11 years ago

I got 2 cats from the Animal Shelter 6 weeks ago.They settled in very well at our place. Sampson decided to pee on our bed twice this week. I was not very happy about it as everybody understands. I read all your answers and I really though that in future I have to place plastic cover over the bed etc. However, after I washed the cover and the down comforter the second time in one day I sprinkeld black pepper over the comforter. Hurray, so far both cats stay away from the bed.
    I have as well a big round carpet in the bathroom which one of the cats decided to use as a toilet. I had to wash that one 3 times in the last 10 days. I only placed it back today and of course pepper was sprinkeld over it again. Lets see what happens. Perhaps it is "the solution". Good luck to everybody

• flowerkitty12
    11 years ago

Perhaps the ammonia build-up in the litter box is the problem.

I've been using what's called a litter pad (Breathe Free). It goes directly under the cheap clay kitty litter... and all that harmful ammonia and other odors get soaked up in the pad. Seriously.. I didn't have to clean the box for weeks and there was no smell. AND, my cat doesn't mind it at all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Litter Pad

• arin1330
    11 years ago

Success! We kept bedroom doors closed for about three months straight before allowing kitties back in.
    Immediately they enjoyed sleeping in bed with us. Seems as soon as they realized bed was a sleeping area for them (even when my wife and I aren't in it), they made the decision not to pee there.

• wwmusiker
    10 years ago

My cat has diabetes. She was peeing on my bed...sometimes on clothing if left on the floor (by my son at the time, not me!)..and often on my legs. She drank a lot of water. In the mid 80s I had a cat who was then 9 years old and she drank a lot of water and was P**ing around and in my briefcase..etc. and got thin and she was Diabetic. SO I took my cat...a day ago to the Vet. i was SURE it was diabetes. First test they did was "all is normal with urine"...maybe try XXX as a deterrent...but then I coughed up the money for a full blood and urine test. She was normal or within normal range on everything down to the Worst Level where she is at Dangerous Level. Yep Diabetic.

Don't toss your pets out...don't be pissed because they pissed. They are trying to tell you that they Do Not Feel Well. I KNEW it.because I had prior experience with it..but many don't..First time tells you and you don't forget it. they are like babies...they can't communicate - but if you listen and watch and observe....you'll get the clue.

Don't toss out the baby with the bathwater (or "water").it may be a lack of knowing what is going on in reality. Some animals are aggressive...some are manipulative and sneaky....but here was an innocent feline - trying to say "I'm sick".

I was Relieved to know it was Diabetes...as horrible as that sounds.but I KNOW.it wasn't a recalcitrant Cat..it was an illness

I don't know how I can afford it....as when I adopted her and already had my other 2, I had a good paying job.now I'm down to a PT job and pretty much in financial straits - but I will find a way to take care of her. Pets are an extension of a family..sure they aren't one's children..but I think people who would toss off a pet would likely toss off their children if they weren't 100% perfect. I can be wrong...

My human child comes first - but my little girl (cat) is right up there and he wouldn't want her to suffer either.

Diabetes....I do believe is more prominent than "they" say it is. I knew the signs.but only because I had a diabetic cat before.

Look for excessive water usage....urinating outside the box, especially near you or on things that are yours...lethargy...weight loss (we didn't have it here this time).

Just trying to help.

• purlygurl
    10 years ago

Glad I found this forum. I have 3 cats the oldest one is a female who is 15 years old. I have so many of the issues people have been reporting. She has begun to erratically pee on my bed ever few weeks. Before this she had been peeing on clothes in the room. I gave her her own littler box and this stopped. Recently we began to have the bed problem. I see on here many of the cats come from multicat families, many are older, many are female, many are feeling territorial and many have DOWN blankets, I have all of the above and the down blanket has been more recent. I really dont want to give the blanket up and yes its a ton of work to wash it, and the sheets and the duvet cover. I am hoping that perhaps putting the plastic table cloth over it for a while will help her get the message. I am going to remove the blanket each day but like many others have said i am pretty sure she is doing it while we are in the bed. Wow this is annoying and I have also on a couple of occassions found poop in the sink and now after all i have read on here i realize there is a good chance it is her. I guess if all else fails I would have to try a down alternative blanket but hoping i dont have to.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax