Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidmike

Not so Newbie

orchidmike
17 years ago

Wow. After many attempts over the years.....I am finally able to post. I tried a few times last month and was unable.

Hope you all are doing well. Very Long time, no chat!

Comments (21)

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Whoa! Blast from the past! Welcome back. GW must have forgotten how to release the hounds :)

• cjwatson
    17 years ago

Mikey!!!!!!!!
    It's great to see your voice!!!

• orchidmike
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Apparently, the hounds were just put back in. Any dramatic changes in your or anyone elses lives?

I finally have a bit of time. Wife finished her MBA and has a great job. I no longer am the sole bearer of income. I got rid of my business so I have more time with the family and many less worries.

I still work a bunch and try to stop my 12 yo from growing any taller. She's almost 5' 11".

On the orchid front I have given away about 400 or more plants. Still have about 1200. Much more managable. No clubs or any society related to orchids. Just came back here for the people I missed chatting with.

Anyway, me in a nutshell.

• turkeytaker
    17 years ago

Wow, they let you out of your cage. Glad to hear everything is going alright...I think there were a few of us wondering what side of the world you were shoved off of. :D

Stacy

• mrbreeze
    17 years ago

What they all said...

So, let me ask you this....of those 1200 or so that you have left...how many are lame-a$$ Stans, and how many are my beloved Angs? :)

OP still has her chat room, I'll ask her if you're allowed back there as well. hahaha
    -MB

• cjwatson
    17 years ago

MrB, have you no shame? Are you begging Angs? Is there no depth that you won't sink to to acquire more Angraecoids? Tsssk, tsssk.

MikeB, glad to hear all is going well for you both. My stepdaughter hit 6'0" by 13, but she stopped there. The most difficult thing with these precociously tall youngsters is helping them deal with "standing out" in a crowd. Michelle was very self-conscious about being different from her friends and classmates for those few years before the rest more or less caught up.

• orchidmike
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cage....hounds.....Was I that bad?

LOL Breezey. I still have plenty of both. Most Paphs and Phals went to a buddy who I built a 16 x 25 GH for as well as most Catt and related species. I gave them to him but he says they are on loan.

Finally got rid of most of the doubles. That thinned the population down. I have about 50 or more to send to my Sister and I have yet to decide on the Pleuro related species fate.

Stacy, Thank you and hope you are doing well.

CJ, my daughter is reveling in the height. There is a girl in her class that is 6' so that might help.

• cjwatson
    17 years ago

Either of you guys growing a Mystacidium brayboniae? Mine is giving me fits.

• komi
    17 years ago

hey, look who's here. Good to hear things are going well for you and the fam.

• mrbreeze
    17 years ago

I never said I had any shame when it comes to Angs...haha And so far, I have not found the depth to which I won't sink for them. :D

I do have Mysticidium brayboniae that came from SBOE's species special a couple years ago. It was bareroot so I immediately mounted it and covered all the roots with a nice thick pad of moss. It promptly started to die. Then I read somewhere how important air flow is for the roots so I dismounted it and since then it has been slowly recovering. It gets medium/low light and daily misting with weekly soakings. No blooms so far but the plant seems happy now.
    -MB

• cjwatson
    17 years ago

Thank you, MB. I don't have any problem with M. capense, but this brayboniae had me stumped. I guess I'll bareroot mount it and see how it does. It only has one full leaf left and the new one has stalled out, which doesn't bother me too much since it can be deciduous during the winter. But it also only has a couple of pathetic roots, and that does bother me.

• orchidmike
    Original Author
    17 years ago

"Either of you guys growing a Mystacidium brayboniae?"

That's like asking a dog if it has fleas!

Hello Komi!

• greenprof
    17 years ago

MIKEY!

komi said you were here.

great to see you still around

kevin

• orchidmike
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ah Kevin!!!! Hit me up on my email. Not the hishuge*** one but the one I have listed in here.

I have some plants with your name on them.

• komi
    17 years ago

Wow. Didn't think he'd actually post - Kevin hasn't been seen around here in a year or so. Last I asked, he wasn't even lurking.

Momentous times!

• momma_d
    17 years ago

Mike! You should return emails every so often, ya know...............Glad to hear everyone is doing well and that M finally finished school. I can relate to the growing child. The boy is about 6' 2" now and is still growing.

Fire me an email......

Laurie

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

Hey Mikey,

Has it really been that long? The last time we "talked" M was just starting on her MBA.

Glad to hear all is well.

Laura

• greenprof
    17 years ago

hi mike

tried emailing you. did not seem to work. try sending me one.

kevin

• ntgerald
    17 years ago

Welcome back.

• clintdawley
    17 years ago

Nice to see you again, Mike...

A few people have been asking about you over the last couple of years..nice to see you've found your way back to us enablers...

• prc66
    17 years ago

Wow! I see Mikey and Momma D, and saw a post from Orrin and Lisa...it's like Alumni Week! :D
    I missed you guys! Haven't been here in so long!!!! Over 2 years now? Is that it? WOW! I have peeked in a few times...but since I'm home sick today...and bored...thought I might take a look to see who's around.
    Cool!
    Patty

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting