Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michigoose_gw

Signs.....

michigoose
18 years ago

of what, I'm not sure. Lately, I've been reading too quickly...I doubt I need a glasses change, but...sometimes these misreads have some amusement value.

While driving south of Dayton, the UD stadium has a lighted sign. The other day I read it and SWORE it said "Hitler Training Camp"....only to discover as I got closer it said Hitter Training Camp, Thank Goodness! Quikly reading the paper the other day there was a mention of a food drive or something at a Catholic Church....I read it as Our Lady of Soccer...well, it was Succor... maybe I really DO need stronger glasses.

Anyone have any others to get this side off it's moribund state?

Comments (18)

• clintdawley
    18 years ago

There is a Catholic school in my home town called "Our Lady of Perpetual Sorrow"...we call it "Our Lady Will Pet Your Squirrel".

I know..it's not the same (being just a few letters off), but I thought it would make you smile anyway, Lisa..

• komi
    18 years ago

This is just not a funny bunch. That's why I don't visit anymore, you know.... Ever since food was banned... well it ain't the same :P

• arthurm
    18 years ago

Komi, who banned food. It wasn't me. Seriously what can we discuss without a punch up.
    George W No!
    G Bay NO!
    Religion NO!
    The power of prayer NO!
    The war NO!
    The only place that is alive is the Photo gallery so perhaps the digital camera is to blame.
    You might be interested to know that three Queens have visited our humble little backwater recently.
    Queen Liz
    Queen Maureen Dowd
    Queen Condo.
    Must ask the dragon woman what is on the menu for tonight.

• arthurm
    18 years ago

After consultation with the Dragon Woman
    Chicken and Mushroom parcels in Filo pastry
    plus fresh green beans* from the garden.

* hope these will taste OK because they have been watered with shower water containing soap, hair shampoo and swiss vanilla body wash. Wonder what the TDS of that water is? Probably off the scale, but the beans look good.

• clintdawley
    18 years ago

umm..sounds like a fancy chicken pot pie. It's cold here today, (50 degrees F) so some comfort food does sound good.

My grandma used to fertilize her vegetable garden with Tide detergent when it was really high in phosphates...nothing like a box of Tide from the 1980s to green up that lawn!

• michigoose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow. Arthur, you can use grey water there? I've been wishing I could somehow harness the river of water that aparently is underneath my house. The sump kicks on about every 15 minutes....and sends it out into the storm drain.

Beef & noodles made out of the pot roast I made a couple of days ago. Cold here. I'm freezing as I'm doing my taxes....I suppose death is next.

• komi
    18 years ago

so is filo the packaging or is it the food? we have this discussion at work from time to time - is that bottle the product or is the water inside the product? Do you ever buy something for the container, not the content?

but I digress. fresh beans sound good.

now off to pack! and then I can get back to finishing up my work. yikes... tight schedule.

• Driftless Roots
    18 years ago

Alas, no funny sign misreadings but it's been a good food week. Broiled lambchops, f & peas, and tonight someone cared enough to broil me some fabulous salmon with a side of fabcreamy polenta!

• arthurm
    18 years ago

Clint, you will have to post that bit about tide in the water discussion thread. Things need to lighten up over there. the lab coat thing was half in jest.
    Anyway, this water thing is a joke. though it rained today the dams around this city are only half full so you are only allowed to water the garden twice a week. As Lisa says there is stacks and stacks of grey water from the dish washer, the clothes washer and the shower water going to waste. Just a matter of tapping it somehow. Tapping it means standing in a large dish while you have a shower and the bucketing about 50 litres of water out to the garden.
    Read somewhere that grey water is supposed to be a health hazard.
    Back to food. You wrap the Filo pastry around the little parcels. Sorry, i know nothing about cooking except to say that broiled Salmon sounds wonderful.
    Lisa, my sympathy about doing the taxes. Pure torture assembling all those bits of paper into some of order.

• komi
    18 years ago

broiled lamb chops. yum.

I managed store-bought split pea soup for First Dinner, and then frozen pizza (albeit pretty good stuff) for Second Dinner. I can't believe how late it is.....

So 3 hrs sleep, and then I'm off to get as close to Australia as I'm likely to get in the next decade or more.

• clintdawley
    18 years ago

Komi,

Several of my girlfriends say they are influenced by packaging in their purchasing decision...I (along with most other guys) could really care less.

• cbrf4irider
    18 years ago

MMmmMMmm sounds like I could learn a thing or two from the Dragon Woman...

Not a sign, but a funny thing with words recently ... In my Accounting class we had an exercise computing the value of inventory for "Crazy Spit," a gimmick used to entertain drunk college students. I just loved that the instructor came up with a ficticious product one letter away from ... "Crazy S&it"

• komi
    18 years ago

Clint, I wasn't thinking aesthetics, but rather the functionality of the container for some other (plant-related) use.

I've now started craving for filo....

• ntgerald
    18 years ago

My cousin, who is a psychiatrist, is dropping by for dinner tonight. I am giving him a huge clump (6 canes) of Vanda lamellata var boxallii, and a big (2 canes) Aerides quinquevulnera.
    Menu:
    1. Roast pork belly marinated in red wine and spices.
    2. Rhinehessen 2001.
    3. Shrimp in a vegetable stew of baby bok choy, okra, acorn squash, hot green peppers, tomatoes, and sigarillas (a type of beans thats not seen in the US).
    4. Fesh ripe mangoes and papaya.
    5. Cavite Arabica coffee and oatmeal-raisin cookies.

Except for the wine everything is from scratch, and I shall begin roasting at 5 PM when I get home from work, all the while doing my laundry and taking pictures of the newly opened Coelogyne usitana.

It will be a candlelight dinner with interesting conversation, and I will probably drop off to bed with terminal exhaustion at 11 PM.

• sambac
    18 years ago

NT, I am no psychiatrist( thank heavens), can I visit you for the quinquelver and no. 4 on the list, lol.. and may be try the sigarillas- got to look up at that one.

• clintdawley
    18 years ago

Sounds like fun. Next time I'm in town I'll have to look you up, ntgerald!

Clint

• Ginge
    18 years ago

I just spotted a funny sign on the way to a swap meet . It was one of the portable signs with the removable letters in front of a farm and ranch supply .. It read Farm and Ranch P....s's ( a male Part) someone switched the letters lol , they were not open or would of gone in and asked what the diffrence was .. Gin

• dottyinduncan
    18 years ago

We have a large East Indian population in our area -- they've lived here for decades and are part of the community. We also have a large population of Native Indians -- today, PC is "First Nations". Therefore, we always stipulate East Indian when necessary.
    The EI's have a crematorium in the area -- have had for many years, but the sign reads "Creamatorium".
    I've never been brave enough to venture in...

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County