Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lunaticvulpine

the old days

lunaticvulpine
16 years ago

... the orchid forum has just become a veritable ghost town....and well it's quiet.. im just whining i dont know.

Meh

Comments (38)

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Even for me, who's been around only 3 years. A couple of weeks ago, just about the entire first page was posts from people new to me. Whitecat8

• cbarry
    16 years ago

I've been hiding in the shadows. I don't seem to have the time or the real inkling to post much anymore, even about my real favs, Phrags, over at the Slipper forum. I do browse the 1st page here, and stop by the Dark Side to see who's here, but that's about it.

Yes, WC8 - lots of newbies, lots of phals.

I don't mind newbies, it's just that they come attached to phals!

;)
    Carolyn

• highjack
    16 years ago

Many first phals lead to orchid addiction - isn't that how most people start?

I appreciated the "oldies" who don't have the time or desire to post anymore and just peek in to see how things are going. Eventually, newbies become the oldies and so the cycle continues.

Brooke

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Brooke,

Nice sentiments :)

I too had a phal early on, and then even had more after I 'fell' to orchids (although they've been gone for a while now). So no criticism, and I truly understand. I'd rather the young'uns experiment with phals, rather than...well phrags for example ;)

No, nothing against phals really. And (I think) before your time I was a regular multiple a night poster (ctsms as my specialty). It's just with my time limits, I can't bear another phal question, or 'HELP!!!!!'.

I was that young fresh newbie once - just 4 short years ago =:0
    And it's so nice to see the next generation sliding nicely into place.

But we're not supposed to talk orchids over here.

So (and WC8, you'll love this!) tonight for dinner DH and I decided to have turkey melt sandwiches for dinner. I made a yummy breast this past sunday, so this was to be a quick and easy meal because I had the yacht club meeting to go to. DH sliced up some turkey and left the room. Oh yeah, we have 2 dogs and 2 cats.

I finished some stuff and went into the kitchen. And what do you think I found?

Ha! you probably blamed the dogs! Who are apparently soooooo much more mannerly than the 'boy cat'. The 'mommy cat' (never a mommy really) is too huge to haul herself onto the counter that the cats regularly, absolutely know they're not allowed on. Yup, the 'baby boy cat' (13 yrs) was sucking down turkey faster than a hoover.

I told you, it is ***yummy*** turkey!

Carolyn

• lunaticvulpine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

recently with my transfer to the university. I've had more or less time and i find my self looking in more often towards the end of the quarters. but then i guess as it goes along it becomes something of a role for the veteran forum members to offer help as they were offered help way back when, they were the noobs posting questions on phal culture

i guess this is just the nature of the world.

btw Carolyn

if you see this. can you post your turkey recipe?
    =D thx

Gaston

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Hey Gaston,

So nice to see you around! So you were doing graphic/web design last I knew, what are you up to now?

And are things back to normal after the fire? I hope your life is settled :)

I'd be honored to post my Yummy Turkey recipe! Turkey is one of the things I cook well (don't ask me about beef!). If you don't like to eat it, I find that you generally can't cook it properly. But it's too late tonight, so tomorrow...

Carolyn

• lunaticvulpine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Carolyn

well the web design thing was something i got suckered into doing for my OS. but i can help it i try to stay away from it cause it's evil and takes up to much time.

Things have gone back to normal over all we're still arguing with the contractor over various things but thats another story.

and if you need a beef recipe i can give you a few especially if your in the mood for a rib eye ;D

Gaston

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Carolyn, that's funny about the turkey. Yeah, I would have guessed the dogs.

DH is still muttering about the stick of butter that disappeared from the counter awhile back. That one had to be the dogs - the cats couldn't have gobbled it down in the couple of minutes DH was gone.

Yes, it's in the natural order for people to come and then go, and I'm still sad. Another reminder to appreciate the moment.

WC8

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Carolyn, too funny!

Somebody, please post a few good beef recipes! Gaston, please do. I manage to make a good roast once on a blue moon :(

Olya

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

Carolyn,

You have to keep checking the forum. I have at least one surprise for you, maybe two. Not sure when the first one will be revealed, but it should be soon.

Kevin

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Oh, Kevin, What have you got?! I can't wait to see!

I'm really never that far away, I just don't post very often. But it's nice to be back :)

Carolyn

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

I'm going to probably be around less and less in the coming months. My job changed--for the better I hope--but it's going to mean a lot more hours and busier ones.

• clintdawley
    16 years ago

Nice to see everyone over here. I have to admit I'm on this board less and less and on the RV Orchidworks board more and more..

Nice to "see" all of you ..

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Clint,

hey good to see you too! I get the RV board via RSS. I know I have an account there, I should dig out my login info.

I know I still owe a recipe, I promise I'll get to it Gaston!

But only 20 minutes away from Jericho!!! Last 2 shows of the season!

Carolyn

• lunaticvulpine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yay Recipe =D

i'll probably make a seperate thread for the my beef recipes

Clint =D long time no see.

i used to be on RV but i dont know i guess i can only remember to check so many sites at a time.

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Just joined RV. Thanks for the tip.

Which reminds me - anyone know where spiced ham is posting these days, if he is? A lot of his info was helpful to me.

Clint, it was a nice surprise to see one of your pix in Bruce's book on Amazon. Wow.

Am I the only person around who loves "The Closer"?

WC8

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

Jericho is the best! I recorded this weeks episode, but haven't watched it yet. One of the good things that came out of the writers strike. I think the only reason the network brought it back was they didn't have anything else to offer.

"The Closer" - I've heard good things about this, but can't add another series to my Netflix watching. I'm still working my way through "6 Feet Under". I like that one lots.

Carolyn - The plants are getting cloooooooser and yes, there will be two of them. For the longest time I couldn't figure out if one was going to bloom or just do the new growth thing. It's definite. I have buds.

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Kev-

I'm pretty sure I have 1 of them figured out, but the other? That one has me perplexed...

Oh wait 'til you see this week's show!

carolyn

• michigoose
    16 years ago

Now WAAAAAIT a minute...what the heck is wrong with phals? I still have em, and still love them....even though I am sitting here sniffing my Slc (I think) Tutankhamen "Pop" for the 4th month and it is heavenly AND I have 10 blooms on the little plant I bought last year in Feb. :)

I have to admit, I'm just not motivated to even look at the other side. Bad me. Every once in a while I think of adding FAQS...but I'm still miffed that somehow iVillage kicked me off as the editor of the Quilt FAQs and hasn't let me back on after 2 years of pleading....somehow it got cut in the great take over, and no one else has been appointed....grrrr.

Off to hover over my many phal spikes. ; )

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

I got your back on the Phal caper, Michigoose. :)

What others have said about the forum makes sense - we go through phases of participation. I wish I'd been thinking about that in *my* "good old days" on the other side. It didn't occur to me that the people who were there then - you included - wouldn't be there forever.

Now, about food.... Here's a quick and easy recipe for a Friday night when you're out of leftovers and don't feel like cooking. (Kevin & other true gourmets around here, skip the rest of this message.) LOL

In case this sounds good to you:

- the darkest rice that you like, cooked. Right now, we're using a blend of black and mahogany rice called black japonica. Hearty

- canned chicken. Costco has a surprisingly nice product- chunk breast packed in water, if you have a Costco around.

- butter or substitute

- grated parmesan cheese

- pesto to taste.

See where this is going? You stir in the cheese and pesto after heating the other ingredients in the microwave.

The other night, instead of parmesan and pesto, I added chilled, mild mango salsa to the warm chicken and rice. Yum. In hot weather, having everything chilled will make a substantial salad.

Later, Whitecat8

• cbarry
    16 years ago

OhMiGod WC8 I would love that!!! But DH wouldn't eat it :(

Where do you get dark rices? I love interesting rices!

And I am a costco member...

Carolyn

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

"(Kevin & other true gourmets around here, skip the rest of this message.) LOL" - RIGHT! Friday nights are pizza nights. It's a tradition I will never break. I'm talking store-bought-cheap-frozen pizza (Tony's is my current fav) with added green pepper, black olives and cheese. Can't beat it.

I'm also curious about the rice. Never heard of dark rice other than wild rice and that's not a true rice.

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

They're building a Costco right near my office. I'm hoping it lives up to the hype!

We used to "doctor up" frozen pizzas all the time. I won't turn my nose up at that! Now we keep a frozen Boboli in stock for something to throw leftovers on and call pizza. Tuesday we managed to scrounge up bbq sauce, chicken, onions and a couple of cheeses. Pretty good!

Black rice?!? I have lived a sheltered life I guess. Looking it up online now and it's frankly fascinating. I wonder if they have it at any of the Asian markets here. Gotta get some!

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

The dark rices - The brand we found is Lundberg, for Lundberg Family Farms in CA: www.lundberg.com. Whole Foods used to carry the Lundberg Wehani - "a unique, russet-colored aromatic whole grain brown rice." Great flavor.

Now we get the Wehani and Lundberg's black japonica at a co-op. Upscale grocery stores may carry the brand.

Kevin, what's this about wild rice not being a true rice???? Speaking of pizza, have you been to Fat Lorenzo's in Minneapolis? Best pizza in town, in my opinion. They make their own gelato, too.

Carolyn, does DH ever travel? Trying to think of times you could indulge. If you ever take dishes to pot lucks...

SC - actually, everything in the dishes above is from Costco, except the rice. Check out that Mango salsa when you get a chance. People have thought they wouldn't like it and then inhaled it, once they got a taste.

We looooove Costco, plus it's almost always less expensive than Target. The thing is, you have to buy 6 largish cans of the chicken breast: almost everything's in a large quantity.

Costco trivia - The company treats its employees well, which makes me feel good - full-time hours, full benefits, etc. A cousin drives a delivery truck and said he thought the Costco dock workers were on something because they're in a good mood when he gets there. This is in contrast to most other places he delivers.

Sam Walton always wanted his Sam's Clubs to beat Costco's sales, but it never happened, plus he had high employee turnover and theft. Last time I knew, Costco's just the opposite.

I used to be a gourmet cook (Kev, thanks for debunking my myth about your culinary standards), and a buddy is currently, and she says Costco's pesto is better than she can make from scratch. Sure tastes yummy to me. For 22 oz., it's $6.00? $7? Don't quote me on either.

WC8

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

WC - Wild rice is just a grass. Not sure what real rice is. Nope, never been to that pizza place. I almost never go out to eat.

I was really proud of myself yesterday. I needed some sesame paste for a chicken recipe I was making. Went over to the grocery store and looked and looked and looked. None to be found. Grrrrrrrrr.... Then I had a light-bulb moment. Sesame paste is just ground up sesame seeds. I could do that. Found a big bag of them for $1.99. Took 'em home. Roasted them for about 5 minutes and tossed them in the food processor with a bit of oil. Now I have lots of sesame paste.

The chicken was great.

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Last Sunday (Easter Sunday) DH and I had big plans for a nice meal. The night before was a close friend's b-day party, and we were invited back the next day (sunday) for brunch. The wife (a dear friend) puts out a helluva meal (pork, lamb, lasagna, several veg's, mashed spuds, salad, phillipino-style rice noodles w/ vegs (she's phillipino), plus I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff), so we knew that our Sunday meal would be a no-go or a complete waste since we would be overstuffed from 2 days with these friends. so tonight is our Easter Sunday feast...

split lobster tails, stuffed with a mix of sauteed scallions, shiitake and porchini mushrooms (with a little panko as breadcrumbs), asparagus (tips mostly), and New England style salted boiled little red potatoes. We'll probably throw some chopped sundried tomatoes into something (because we can)

Oh, and champagne.

(I've already put on loose pants ;) )

Carolyn

(and I still owe Gaston my turkey recipe, I haven't forgotten).

• whitecat8
    16 years ago

Carolyn, I'm drooling over both meals, and I've just eaten! LOL Whitecat8

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

The phrase "New England style salted boiled little red potatoes" makes me weak in the knees. Those sound like a couple of great meals!

Kevin, is your sesame paste the same as tahini? I'm tempted to say "well Duh!" but it's never occurred to me to make my own either. I'm not sure we have a food processor that could do it, though.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Yup - same stuff. I bet you could make it. Sesame seeds are really kind of soft. It doesn't take much to mush them up.

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

I love tahini - did you use sesame oil or regular oil to make it (tooo sesame-ey?)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

I used regular oil. Not sure why, but I don't think it really matters. You only use a few Tbsps. per cup of seeds.

• lunaticvulpine
    Original Author
    15 years ago

simplicity in beef

tsp of chipolte powder
    garlic powder
    sea salt
    pepper
    a dash of JD
    some molasses
    and a touch of vinegar

combine wet ingredients and garlic powder and marinade steaks for 1-2 hrs

prepare hard wood charcoal.. this is the most important part of it hard wood only nothing else or it'll taste like ewww

salt and pepper steaks to taste, i go light on salt since you're adding it prior to cooking it'll bring the flavors out and not taste like salt steak

and prepare to cook

ok cooking

when the coals are at their hottest begin cooking steaks
    timing must be precise or you'll get a lot of carbonization
    so i normally cook for about 5-7 min on each side? although 7 on one and 4 on the back is just as good

a key note to remember is, when you cook steaks,, all except for cube and chuck which taste better pan fried for some reason, you want to keep them as close to the med rare line as possible no more but less is ok, or you'll actually destroy the flavor of the steak itself.

note: Rib eyes cook best this way same with Ny and if you can get it steak cut prime rib.

Enjoy
    =D

• momma_d
    15 years ago

Since the big freeze and the loss of most of my plants, I drifted away. But I've ordered a few replacements lately and dropped in to see what was happening.

Lisa, I think of you every time I look at the plum tree - plum fight! And I second your thoughts on phals. I still have some and I still like them. I just replaced my frozen schilly and added a mariae to the species department. The live quite happily with the *gasp* hybrids.

Kevin, the alliums and iris you sent me have really grown. For some reason, my chickens just love the iris you started from seed (can't remember the name at the moment) and I have to cover them with chicken wire to keep the little buggers from eating them.

Gin, the equestris I got from you had a baby and is one of my favorite plants. I'm so glad it wasn't in the greenhouse when the heater croaked!

Does anyone ever hear from Mike?

Laurie

• Ginge
    15 years ago

Hey Laurie ! I have the cute mount you did with a plant happily growing on it , glad the equestris made it :) I still have quite a few of the P word. a lot of species and some of my favorite hybrids , got rid of a lot awhile back . Replaced with Paphs. and Phrags .
    I just counted 15 P posts on the other side ,first page .. gin

• momma_d
    15 years ago

Hi Gin! Glad the mount has provided a home for a happy plant :) I bought an alba equestris from Fender's to keep the equestris I got from you company.

So nice to 'see' you again!

• prc66
    15 years ago

Well, lookie...I see Laurie, Gin, Lisa, Clint...and lots of others. Yeah, I haven't been here in a while, well, since the miscarriage. But things are better now. Even before then, I would just peek in and maybe say "hi", and then be gone again. As most of you know the collection mostly croaked, I still have a few (11 to be exact), and am trying desperately to keep them alive. They just don't like the environment that I have here. And I just don't have the gumption right now to make any major changes.
    So, "hi" to all.
    Patty")

• Ginge
    15 years ago

Hey Patty ! good to see you .. Gin

• michigoose
    15 years ago

OOooh. Patty! Hey there. I've got phal-bloomin city now...and klutzy me just snapped two Den. spikes. BOOOOOO! Now all we have to hear from is H20colors and Linda. :) Yeah. Right.

I've been working in the dirt garden.

Laurie: My Plum fight'n kid has gotten all growed up.....though she's running 6 minute miles, not bad for a freshman. How's the jaw on yours?

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County