Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turkeytaker_gw

Good tongue recipes.

turkeytaker
17 years ago

I've only had tongue one way: salted, boiled, peeled, and sliced.

I bought a tongue for dinner tonight, and we're going to General Tso it. It will be interesting to see how it turns out, but I was wondering if anyone had any favorite tongue recipes.

Slurp.

Comments (17)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

When I was a kid, my parents bought those things quite often or got them from someone who just killed a cow. They made them the boiled way, but I think they also pickled them in some way.

I just couldn't make myself eat the stuff. Seeing that huge tongue just sitting there did odd things to me. Then again, I was an odd child and I guess odd adult.

You really bought one of these????

K

• turkeytaker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tongue is great. It's the crunch that does it for me.

I doubt I could pick up the tongue and just start gnoshing on it, but it's not so intimidating sliced. Don't ask me to eat liver, though...

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Aw, man. I wish I had my grandma's recipe for pickled tongue. I could eat that all day long.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

I was looking through my James Beard cookbook and noticed he had a bunch of recipes for this thing. You might want to see if there are any of his online. I like his cookbooks. They're kind of basic, but he really knows how to combine flavors well. I don't think I've ever been disappointed with anything I've ever made.

K

• michigoose
    17 years ago

I think my mom used to parboil it to peel it, then she slow roasted it in a broth base as it is a tougher cut of meat. I always liked it. She used to laugh at me and say I was very Victorian.

I'll have to check good ole Irma Rombauer to see what she has to say....I think once you cook it, or peel it, you can mariate it and slow cook it in almost any sort of way that you would for other cuts of meat...

• turkeytaker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll have to look up those two names and see what kinds of recipes they have.

The General Tso's tongue turned out really well and was quite easy. We boiled the tongue for about three hours, sliced it, then pan fried it with toasted sesame oil and garlic. After that, we added bottled General Tso's glaze/marinade and some green curry.

The General Tso's glaze/marinade stuff wasn't really that exciting...it tasted like a really light honey-barbecue sauce. Surprisingly good.

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Irma Rombauer is "The Joy of Cooking." My version is my mom's....the one she was given in 1949 when she got married. I have other 19th century cookbooks which probably have a lot of tongue receipts. I'll have to check...when I can stop playing nursemade to Mt. Vesuvius.

• michigoose
    16 years ago

I can't help it...I admit, I've been thinking of all sorts of off color responses to this.
    What did you do with it? Do you still need tips?

• Judybird2014
    16 years ago

I thought of some gross stuff, too..
    of course, DH lets the parrots eat off his tongue,
    so they probably have their own favorite tongue recipes;-)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

"DH lets the parrots eat off his tongue"

Isn't the English language odd? When I first read this I got this really terrible, mental image.

K

• Judybird2014
    16 years ago

it is sickening, Kev..
    I had to do it when DH was in the hospital, they were so weak from just having their fabulous parrot food plus veggies and fruits.. so I chewed up peanut butter crackers and you should have seen the loons going for my mouth, it was gross~ the things we do;-)
    {{gwi:133907}}
    {{gwi:133908}}

• turkeytaker
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Birds eating off of tongues...ew.

I read it the same way you did, Kev, and was wondering how fast human tongues regenerate.

As for recipes, I shall definitely have to try more. I'm feeling perverse and am really wanting to try tongue parmesan...

• Judybird2014
    16 years ago

Now, you two, I didn't say they ate his tongue, that might smart.

It is unsanitary and a bad idea to ever allow them to eat from your mouth, but he's been doing it for 20 yrs now. Dixie turns the big 2-0 in August, little Coco is 18 and in unbelievable love with Dixie, who ignores him.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

Judy - You're birds are beautiful. Very cool.

K

• Judybird2014
    16 years ago

thx, sweetie

• michigoose
    16 years ago

So...Coco doesn't realize that Dixie is an African Gray (isn't she?) and therefore isn't interested???? Hmmmm.

• Judybird2014
    16 years ago

hey, lis! yep, he doesn't see any difference, he probably thinks he looks just like her, only smaller..he doesn't try to touch her but they eat together from one bowl on top of their cage, both will go in for water inside their cage, Dixie always gets it first, she always gets everything first, toys, first choice of food, etc..

when they're allowed down, he walks right behind her, if she stops, he stops, like what? I'm not following your beautiful red tail;-)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner