Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michigoose_gw

Favorite cookbooks particularly for.....

michigoose
17 years ago

fish, pasta, veggies. Good Indian might be a good thing too. I'm tired of my iffy Italian cookbooks...I need some yummy ones. and I get tired of cooking vegetables the same way....sigh..so, give me your ideas ! Tx.

Comments (9)

• garlicgrower
    17 years ago

I just had an Indian cook book out of the library by Madhur Jaffery. An older one probably from 1984 or 85. Very good recipes and even better if you have an Asian market nearby to get authentic spices.
    I made her shrimp in coconut milk and spices. Heavenly!
    Good luck!
    Maryanne in WMass

• sunita
    17 years ago

Hi Lisa,I cant remember any one particular book. I've got so many I could start a cook-book library. What can I say ? A lot of good intentions to act the good Indian Mama but the spirit to follow through just wilts in our heat. Plus the outdoors always seem to be calling me : )
    here are a few websites you could check out though.
    http://www.pachakam.com/ --- Kerala recipes
    http://www.sanjeevkapoor.com/ --- site of chef Sanjeev Kapoor. free recipes section but more elaborate section for subscribers
    www.bawarchi.com
    http://www.tarladalal.com/ComplimentaryRecipes.asp --- great if you're looking for vegetarian recipes( though some of it is not really Indian cuisine ). Incidentally, she's also published a whole lot of cook-books.

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

When I'm looking for something new I sometimes go to one of the cooking websites and do a search for the main ingredients I want to use. If I find an interesting recipe, I usually vary it a little bit to suit my tastes.

For an interesting spin on the otherwise mundane, try looking at some of Justin Wilson's cook books.

I had salmon at a neighbors the other night. She had marinated it in soy sauce (I'm not a big fan of soy sauce) which carmelized when grilled. It was super yummy.

• michigoose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yah, I like salmon (or even bluefish or makeral..skip the dark belly meat) in a packet of soysauce with slivers of ginger and carrot....

I've just been hitting a lot of recipes which have been missing something...and like you Sunita, I'm a little burned out....

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

If you want a couple of new cookbooks I highly recommend the following. They aren't Indian and don't laugh at the titles. Literally everything I have tried from both has been wonderful and I've been using them for years.

The Cuisine of California and
    The California Cook
    both by Diane Rossen Worthington

Kevin

• garlicgrower
    17 years ago

I've been day-dreaming about writing a cookbook myself. I have a large collection of cookbooks - some inherited from my mom, so some are very old. My daughter has encouraged me ( but don't look for this too soon ;-)
    It would be the recipes which I make, have altered, developed, and are asked for by my family. If they are eating the dish and not talking, then I know it's good. If they are taking seconds and thirds without being encouraged, I know it's good. If there are no leftovers, then I know it's good. Make it again.

If they scarf something down not made by me, I should get the recipe. If other people outside my family ask for the recipe, I know it's good.

Did you ever read through a cookbook or recipe and say "gee, sounds good! But the directions are way too complicated and involved? " so you never make it, or make it only once. Few of those will make it into my permanent collection. Some will - but the outcome would have to be very special, or a specific holiday item.

Just my thoughts on food philosophy
    Cheers!
    Maryanne in WMass

• michigoose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My problem is that I read a recipe, and it sounds wonderful....and then I make it....or that it calls for really unusual stuff that you have to buy a gross for and ...

I think one of the best examples of that is a dish from the Moosewood cookbook which called for mustard seeds....I can't remember what it was exactly at the moment....but I made it...and hated it. Tasted wretched. I mentioned it to a couple of friends who were vegetarian (I'm not, but I was once and might as well be now)...and they started laughing hysterically...both of them (who were not related nor did they live together) had made the same recipe and come to the same conclusions!

• garlicgrower
    17 years ago

Or- you try to substitute an ingredient you have for one of those exotics, and the outcome is disappointing.

I think the trick to using the mustard seeds is they have to be the correct type, and you have to toast them in the pan first before any other cooking is done.

Corriander. You have to have the whole fresh seeds, they must be toasted first to get the characteristic "perfume" scnet. Using the dried ground stuff is like using dust bunnies.

I just love the Asian market I've strated going to. Less than half the price of the grocery store.

Michigoose - have you tried the Moosewood recipe for "Groudnut stew"? (peanut butter is the groundnut)
    No meat, but delicious seved on top of cous-cous. :-p

Good luck!

Maryanne

• michigoose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No I haven't Maryanne...I'm the only one in the house who likes peanuts/peanut butter (read LOVES for likes) and the only one who eats it. I love sesame noodles too. Peanut raisin pie is to die for....(Can you tell I went to school in Williamsburg, VA???). I'll have to try it.

We eat a very eclectic mix of stuff here....I mean in my house. My daughter is sort of close to a vegetarian and I was a vegetarian for about 4 years, dh was a veggie for....ummmm I think close to 20. DD has very advanced tastes for her age, but she doesn't like meat. I think it is the texture. It is really tough getting enough iron into her system and she hates taking pills.

When I said Indian, I was just craving that dish...the one with chickpeas and spinach and I can never remember the name of it...I just love it. :) I'll have to make a batch of the groundnut stew to take to my next quilting thing. There are a couple of vegetarians in the group (I think only about 2) but they often don't get much to eat as we ARE in Ohio...land of the meat eaters....and I am just as happy eating meatless as eating meat most of the time....but every once in a while I crave a thick, yummy steak or Leg of Lamb...

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz