Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane__ny

Craigs List experience

jane__ny
15 years ago

Thanks to Kevin, I got the nerve to advertise my plants last week. Put two photos in the ad, both photos were from last year. Tried to find a few group photos. Put the ad in last Thurs and got so many calls. I only ran it once.

I ran the ad in my local area but apparently it ran throughout NY as I got many calls from people in the City. I decided to plan a 'open house' today and emailed everyone my address and told them to come anytime during the day.

I had 10 people show up, sold a bunch of plants and gave a few away. Sold orchid supplies, pots etc. Even sold some old Orchid Digests and Orchids magazines (10cents).

Made approx $300.00 bucks. Still have about 60+ left and I might plan another weekend.

Most of the people where completely inexperienced. They wanted plants in bloom and I didn't have that many. Had a few Phals still blooming and some spring blooming Catts in bud. They grabbed those. No one wanted any dens or Catts not in bloom. I even printed up some photos so they could see how they would look, but no go.

It was difficult for me to let them go to people who will probably kill them. It reminded me of selling my puppies years ago. I gave the same guarantee - 'you can always bring them back and I'll refund your money.'

What a day...

Jane

Comments (16)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Jane - It sounds like a huge success. Congrats! That was actually a great idea having the open house thing. I may have to consider something like that this spring when I put some of my other non-orchid plants up for sale. I decided to go into the Colocasia, Alocasia etc. business and just finished potting up 57 plants this weekend. Come May, I should have a nice crop to advertise on CL.

I have a feeling people check other cities for CL postings. I had someone from Iowa contact me about some depression glass I had up for sale and just last week a person from CA wanted to buy a bunch of Begonia grandis tubers I listed (a local guy stopped over on Friday and bought 5 of them @ $7 each - not bad IMO). They also may be finding your post through Google. Yes, CL posting appear there too if you know what to Google.

I think CL is really becoming a huge deal. There's been a lot of talk around here that this is one of the reasons so many newspapers are in serious trouble. Why buy a classified ad when you can post your item for free? Just yesterday, I picked up a copy of my neighborhood newspaper and noticed there wasn't a single ad in there. In the past, there were always at least 2-3 pages. No ad revenue must hurt.

$300 ain't nothin' to sneeze at. Definitely a lot better than simply giving them away. Oh yes, I think you under priced your mags - 25 cents minimum. Gotta make it worth your time.

Kevin

• Driftless Roots
    15 years ago

Congrats, Jane! Now you've got me thinking I should take another look at my own shrinking collection. I anticipate the problem will be selling the little Paph with four leaves that I spent $45 on vs practically giving away the non-blooming Paph with 20 growths.

And, really, it has to be worth my time. After that one annoying no-show I'm not going to be particularly patient with flaky customers. Heck, I'm not particularly patient with anyone these days ;)

Aroids, eh? I put in an order for a few more Arisaemas this spring and keep meaning to get to the Asian market to buy some unknown tubers.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Yes, one does have to have the flake radar on and finally tuned. No time for them either. I listed some glass shelving on CL for the heck of it, but didn't include a picture because....... well......... it's glass. What's there to see right? I included all the dimensions etc., but I still had that ONE person who wanted me to send her a picture. Feeling rather accommodating that day (and never again), I sent one. Never heard back from her.

Now I'm thinking my big money maker could be water hyacinth. I only know of one place around here that sells them in the spring and they always sell out. I saved a couple of pieces last fall and now have to give them some heat so they start doing that "water hyacinth thing" and take over my house. I need inventory.

K

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What I found so strange, none of these people had any experience growing orchids. Some had no experience growing 'anything.' One man was going on about this bakers rack he bought and wanted orchids on it. When I asked where he had the rack, he said in the corner - perfect place.

Why didn't these people just go to HD and buy Phals in bloom?

Weird...

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

OK, I've mentioned the CL scammer who keeps contacting me every few weeks about a $250 item I have for sale. Here's his latest message:

"Hello Kevin,

I am willing to pay $250 for the item and an extra $50 for you to keep it for me as i will not be able to come check it up so i want to see pics of it before i commit payment.

I will be sending you a check of $2000 and will want you to deduct the total for the item and the tip and send the rest to the shipping company that will be coming to pick up the item. I am relocating to Albany, New York in May.

Let me know if you agree with these terms."

I turned him down. Do you think I made a good decision?? (sigh)

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Jane, what is your target number for your orchid collection?

I should reduce my numbers too but i'm just too lazy to bother with Ebay and the like. I do selling at orchid society sales tables at shows and rather enjoy that, but some customers are just long winded pains. At a Society show you can flick them on to some unsuspecting soul by just saying something like "i'll just go and get Peter, he's a real expert on XYZ" If they come to your house, how do you get rid of those types?

Kevin, "my big money maker could be water hyacinth." Certainly could be! Just add a bit of warmth and it will grow like a noxious weed which it is around these parts. Beautiful when in bloom. Maybe you should take up the wonderful opportunity in the post above.

• michigoose
    15 years ago

Kevin...sounds like he's from Nigeria. ;)

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, I haven't checked back. Kevin that's hysterical. I think michigoose is right.

I put some light units for sale on CL and wound up with a bidding situation. Too funny. I ran it one day and had at least 20 calls. I was trying to be honest and honor the first caller except some people kept offering me more money to sell to them. I wan't sure what to do. But I did the right thing and held it for the first caller, who then tried to get the price down.

Arthur, I held it on a weekend and most people came on Saturday. I opened my garage and put all the plants in there. I greeted people on the driveway and no one came in the house. I still have approx. 30+ plants left. I plan to keep around 10-15. This was a heart-breaker because I sold many which I had strong attachments to. I sold a specimen sized BLC which I've had about 12 years and was like my dog. Went through the thick and thin with me and kept blooming. Had 6 fat buds and I cried as this person struggled to get it in her car. She wanted it because it would look nice in the window of her apartment. I'm still kicking myself, but I need to get them out.

We are putting the house up for sale next month, and the plants must go.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Kev, I got a call today from a woman who bought some plants last week. She was thrilled because the Blc she bought from me, was blooming. She wants more. She's coming Wed...

Jane

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Repeat customers are a very good sign! You know, the plant people I've met through CL have been some of the nicest folks. I had a woman stop over on Friday to buy some of my Begonia tubers and while she was here she mentioned a sick orchid she was wondering what to do with (a phal, naturally). "I grow a few orchids" I told her and hauled her into my grow room. It was really fun showing her around. To her orchids meant phals. She had no idea of the possibilities.

I think this is the CL season. Yesterday I found a really heavy duty extension cord in my basement I hadn't used since I sanded my floors. I knew I probably would never use it again, so I took a pic and posted it. At first I was going to ask $10, then $15 and finally decided to list it at $20. It was picked up within an hour.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I posted 5 vaporizers I use on the planta over winter. I paid $50 bucks each. I've had them for a few years. Took a picture and posted them. So far no contacts. People must think we are very sick people with so many vaporizers.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Vaporizers don't sell well on CL. It took me a good 5 months of reposting mine before I sold it for an earth-shattering $8.

• jane__ny
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What about pots. I have so many pots, I didn't realize. I had to move everything out of my sunroom and deck for the men to sand and we started carting everything down the deck stairs. I must have hundreds of pots. I can't even look.

I'll look them over this weekend and maybe just toss a ton.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Clay pots should sell quickly. I listed around 29 of 'em for $20 and sold them right away. Never tried plastic.

• heth
    14 years ago

wow! i was looking on Craigs List just today, or make that yesterday, its 1:05 AM!!! i've been trying to find anyone in my area who is selling any orchids that are actually nice!!!!!!!!

• Driftless Roots
    14 years ago

Maybe I'll try CL for all my old orchid magazines. I like ebay except for having to deal with shipping stuff.

Sponsored
Cabido Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
DC & Montgomery County's Best in Full Service, Custom Home Remodeling