Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turkeytaker_gw

Something has probably died in my wall.

turkeytaker
17 years ago

So, about a month ago, I noticed a strange odor near the kitchen table. I cleaned the litter box.

It started to get a bit stronger, so I cleaned the top of the cabinets, thinking a cat had gone up there and thrown up or something equally disgusting. No dice.

I cleaned the pantry, removed all shoes, made sure there was nothing putrid in cabinets, etc. and the smell still remained.

So I was really grossed out the other day, when I realized that, on the other side of the wall (the garage), there is a strip of missing sheetrock about twenty feet long and about two feet wide from where it was removed when some pipes burst. My assumption is now that something has crawled in there and died.

My question, however, is how do you fix a problem like that? How do you get rid of the stink?

I guess the obvious is to cut open the wall and see if it can be found...but the wall might be open for another year, judging by the pace we sheetrock around here.

Stacy

Comments (13)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

Probably a mouse. Those buggers can stink to high heaven. Where I once worked, we had one croak on top of a heating unit in our office. You would have thought there was a slaughter house next door. The stench from that little thing was amazing.

You could wait until it just dried up, but that might take awhile. Now if you believe all the commercials for those air fresheners all you have to do is spray and spray and spray to kill all those "odor causing bacteria in the air". I personally think that is a bunch of crap since IMO there isn't such a thing as smelly bacteria in the air. Get rid of the dead critter and the stench goes away.

I think you're only option is to rip apart that wall. I would.

Kevin

• qylliam
    17 years ago

Ewwwwww....

Open the wall....get him out.

Makes me think of little mouse mobs....leaving him in the wall....

• turkeytaker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yum, yum...

I just did an exploratory and found a dead bird. It must have gotten trapped in the garage and roosted in the hole before dying and falling down into the wall.

I've never really liked birds, and I never want to see another...in my wall.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

Well that's nice. I once had a bird drop down my chimney and plug up some vent or something. Anyway, the furnace wouldn't come on, so the repair guy had to come out. After he pulled out the dead bird I remembered hearing a scratching sound from somewhere in the basement. Guess it was him.

K

• turkeytaker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Was it toasted by then?

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

So, you notice this smell near the kitchen table and your first thought is to clean the litter box?

Where is the litter box in relation to the kitchen table?

You cleaned the pantry and removed shoes? Are aged Reebok's good grilled? Do you have a marinade?

• turkeytaker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The litter box is in the laundry room next to the kitchen eatery area.

The shoes are near the wall between the table and the laundry room.

The dog likes the shoes. She marinates them, but it's probably not best to go into that...

Stacy

• mrbreeze
    17 years ago

eeeeeewwwwwww......
    -MB

p.s. gross!

• qylliam
    17 years ago

I agree.

Steph

• turkeytaker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Agreed. The wall has been sealed. As soon as the bird was removed, the stench went away. Oh magic things...

• bob123how
    17 years ago

At least you found the bird. I noticed a mouse had been eating some of the paper trash in my car this summer. No, a mousetrap is too simple, I said to myself, I'll get the bait. Not knowing, of course how the bait works. So said mouse takes the bait so to speak, gets deathly dehydrated, on account of the bait, and tries to find the nearest source of water, which I assume to be somewhere in my air vents, becuase of the condensation, and dies. In the Texas hill country, temperatures in the summer can get well over 100 degrees, and it smelled like pure death, so I had to resort to desperate measures. I parked my car on top of two fire-ant beds for 2 days, then I got ant killing gas bomb things and set all of them off in my car. Not bad, huh?

• turkeytaker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good show, Bob. I think that's one of the best examples of countering bad with worse. lol

Stacy

• lydiad20_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Ok, I have that sort of putrid smell comming from my garage...im assuming it is some sort of rodent since i have a 4 inch by 5 inch hole at the bottom of the garage wall in the sheet rock that closely resembles the mouse holes in the tom and jerry cartoons. My problem is, how do i find the spot where the rodent died with out doing too much demolition trying to find the little sucker? (i unbent a hanger already and started poking arround the hole trying to find the corps, but no such luck)

I have got to get rid of this oder asap because i have company comming in from out of town and would be mortified if the smelt what i am smelling in my home.