Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garlicgrower

European weather wisdom in April?

garlicgrower
18 years ago

Greetings European members who post here :-)

I'm going to Italy, France and Spain - mid-April

I'd appreciate your advise on what type of clothing to bring. The internet weather websites are probably pretty accurate, but I'd appreciate the kind words of wisdom from someone who is actually experiencing the weather there along the Mediterrenean Sea. :-)

When I visited Lithuania, it rained 8 out of 10 days, and that was August!

Any advise is appreciated

Thanks very much :-)

Maryanne

Comments (7)

• norbert1
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Maryanne, in few words, "glorious with showers". As you go north, though, away from the Mediterranean Sea, anything is possible, even a freak snowfall, so keep an eye on the short-term forecasts (at least for northern France). - Norbert

• mrbreeze
    18 years ago

You might want to post this on the UK orchid forum.
    www.ukorchidforumDOTcom
    have fun!
    -MB

• garlicgrower
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks folks :-)
    I'm preparing for rain.
    Maryanne

• garlicgrower
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi folks:
    I'm back. The weather in the southern parts of Europe was wonderful. A few sprinkles here and there, but sunny for the most part and lovely tempertures.
    I especially liked seeing lemon and oranges fruits on the trees in back yards, bay laurel bushes in hedges and pots, roses in bloom, (not the tea roses, tho), acres of vineyards being pruned, acres of fruit trees blooming, lilacs in bloom, palm trees,etc.
    Back in chilly WMass, we have a few violets blooming and the rest are making plans.
    Cheers
    Maryanne

• kwmackdog
    17 years ago

not trying to hijack the thread but just curious how you found your reception? secondly you said nothing of the food! give it up, please. we need to hear.

• garlicgrower
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OK, here's a bit more on the trip:
    It was with my daughter's high school trip - so ....
    Much of it was in a group. I think all the Europeans are really sick and tired of big tour groups, and I don't blame them. Especially evident in Rome. (sigh, you just can't move the Forum! or the Vatican!) But when out with just my husband and daughter and one or two of her friends on "free" time, attitudes were much better. Of course, I try to speak some of the language no matter how bad I am.
    :-D But folks seem to appreciate that effort, and I smiled a lot and gave compliments freely! Most folks were happy to help.
    Food at the group dinners was highly variable :-( and not that great. But, we learned quickly that we should buy food at every chance. You like what you see, then buy it and eat it. And give a generous compliment or tip. I shopped at the open air fruit market. I bought a bag full of fruit to cut up for breakfast. Most hotels offered only a roll or pastry and coffee. Some fruit is imported from Senegal as one shopkeeper told me. I was lusting after some stunning purple artichokes at one stand, pity I had no place to cook them, boo-hoo <:o>Hawkers on the street - are everywhere. Many are immigrants - little Asian women and men from Africa. They want to sell you anything anytime. The lesson: never stop selling, ever. If they bother you too much, simply wave them away. If they don't leave you alone, speak in Lithuanian. They have no clue what you are saying, become baffled and leave you alone!

Most charming town in Italy: Assisi- I paid my respects to St. Francis and his compadres. The church where he is entombed has just been put back together with tweezers...it was in an earthquake about 9 years ago. The frescos fell and killed 4 people. Don't miss Assisi if you're in Italy. Charming quiet picturesque. Pottery factory at the bottom of the hill.

Florence - 2 hour wait in line to see the real David - oh well. A nice time at night in the various squares listening to live music. One British guy - Julian Davies - and a "gypsy" swing band. (Oh -watch out for the gypsies who want a handout every few minutes) Fashionable clothes all over the place. Perfect weather, almost hot. Lemons and oranges on the trees. Bay laurel hedges - smell heavenly!

Greenhouses are on the hillsides and nearly cover some areas, I never saw so many acres of glass. And those hillsides were rather steep. Looked as if some should be sliding off into the Meditereanian sea. I'm betting many were for producing salad greens and the like. Seemed rather extreme to just grow marigolds like that !

In Nice, we went to a little bistro type place. The group ate together and it was a boring pasta thing (In France?) Anyway, I saw great plates of sea food floating by to the regular customers. I was determined to have some. When the group left - I kept my husband and daughter there and ordered the huge seafood platter. Wow! and wine...
    The waiter immediately turned into another person, he was charming and eager to take the order. He smiled! The owner came by and smiled. I complimented the food over and over and it deserved it. Salmon, a white fish, mussels, prawns (with the heads on :-) squid. All the while we murdered the French language ;-) I didn't even need dessert! Palm trees in bloom and the lovely beach...

Spain- you just can't beat a plate of good paella with the seafood on top and artichokes (sigh). Don't go home without buying a pair of Spanish made shoes. Their the best :-) and more reasonably priced than those in Florence, Italy. BArcelona- Lovely city, bigger tahn it looks. Found a wonderful little park on the steep hillside 2 blocks from the hotel. Parakeets were nesting in the palm trees, kids playing and moms strolling with babies, people walking their dogs. A very quiet park in a residential area. Rosemary bushes with trunks the size of my ankle...sage herbs, various things in bloom that I didn't recognize. A couple of hours on the Riviera beach...water a bit cool, but some tops were off anyway. ;-)

Madrid- el Prado and the new modern art museum (where the Dali's and Picasso's now reside) are fantistico...and the Royal Botanic Garden is just across the courtyard, cheap to get in and had roses in bloom. sigh. Good bake shops!

*Universal* truths: never stop selling, ever
    The women's rest room always has the longest line (so barge into the men's room)
    Food is the best at truck stops. No kidding, the "autogrille" stops on the highways have wonderful caffe latte and beautiful sandwiches, chocolate by the kilo and are reasonabley priced.

Well, I hope that's enough! Granted, I would not choose to go in a group again, but the price was reasonable. There were a few glitches, Oh, and the tour guide was abrasive and cranky, but he's Roman, so he's probably just burned out. We did have several other guides that were just charming....and the bus driver was a charmer too....
    but If we had to stay home, we would have missed some lovely moments.

Ciao!
    Maryanne

• kwmackdog
    17 years ago

thanks, that was a breath of fresh air. mmmmm artichokes!
    sounds like a very good time. happy you have such nice memories.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES