Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

What happened to graham crackers?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
15 years ago

I really liked these as a kid, but haven't had them in ages. Bought a box of the Nabisco Original Graham Crackers, opened 'em up, took a bite and BARF!! They were terrible! They tasted like oddly flavored sawdust. I'm crushed.

K

Comments (9)

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Oh, no! How ever shall we make S'mores? Gee, I thought they'd always be around, like chocolate. Now I'm going on the hunt. Whitecat8

• rita_h
    15 years ago

Didja know Sylvester Graham invented these as part of a general vegetarian diet to, ahem, "control excessive carnal exercise"...?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't. Thank you.

"Graham had many devoted followers, known as Grahamites, who slavishly followed his principles, which included temperance, sexual restraint, and baths, in addition to vegetarianism."

I don't think he would approve of what's been done to the crackers.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So you're up too? I think I still need an hour more sleep.

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Yep, I'm up. Our aging dog needs to go outside more often these days, so I check forums, etc. while waiting for her. WC8

P.S. If you haven't checked out the Habeneria medusae in my message on the other side, get your eyes ready for a treat. D'ya think they grow from corms, too?

• michigoose
    15 years ago

Different brands have different tastes, and make sure you didn't get the low fat, low sugar variety....those DO taste like sawdust. The real deal is still there, but usually on the bottom shelf. :)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nope. Didn't get the low fat, low sugar etc. I took another look at the crackers when I was at the grocery store the other day. At around $4 a box, I think I'll eat something else.

Lord, some things are really getting expensive!

• michigoose
    15 years ago

Maybe you should make your own. :) My sister made some when she was in highschool. Very strange consistencey, but tasty, and definitely higher in fiber than what you bought at the store.

Graham crackers spread with thimbleberry jam is marvelous....add some peanut butter and yummy....but then I tend to make graham cracker/peanutbutter/chocolate chip sammiches. :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!