Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
highjack

Critters at my House

highjack
16 years ago

I don't have any pictures of critters in my g/h so thought I would share critters that live around here.

This first one is Boylene - I used to call her Big Boy but saw her doing the deed one day and had to change the name. Isn't she beautiful!

{{gwi:134169}}

This picture is of my frog feeder from Lowes. I have a pear tree that sits above the pond and would watch the frogs go after butterflies when the pears would fall and decay. In the spring I now put out the froggy held platter and put fruit on it to attract critters to the rotten fruit.

The small frog would be two years old and the other two would be three or four years old. Boylene does a great job for us.

{{gwi:134170}}

This poor little creature thinks he's a frog but he's a peeper. He loves to sit on my hosta leaves or inside a daylily bloom or he uses a daylily leaf as a hammock. He can do some serious napping during the hot days of summer and then "peeps" his heart out at night.

{{gwi:134171}}

All comments regarding frogs/legs/food, strictly forbidden - these are our beloved pets. You wouldn't eat your dogs or cats would you?

Brooke

Comments (16)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

I adore frogs and toads of all shapes and sizes. From the first picture, it appears Boylene is a watch frog. Very cool indeed.

Kevin

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

I LOVE your froggy friends!! When I was a kid we had a bass pond and of course that thing was just hopping with frogs. I was out for a hike looking for birds on Saturday and found a noisy frog pond. It was like somebody flipped the "Spring!" switch in my head. I can't stop smiling!!!

• mehitabel
    16 years ago

Hey, Brooke--those are all just wonderful critters. Who would have thought of a frog-feeder filled with rotten fruit. I call that brilliant!

Boylene looks like a boss frog, all right, and they all look pretty well fed.

But my favorite is that tiny green peeper, with his arms tucked away. What a darling!

I used to go for walks along a road where a small bridge crossed over a stream, and always stopped there to look for frogs, and except for winter, they were almost always there. Seeing one was always a delight.

You are soooo lucky!

• highjack
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love toads too Kevin. I need to get a picture of Boss Toad this year. He is as big as my fist. He scares me to death sometimes when I reach under a big hosta to pull a stray weed and he jumps out and glares at me to make sure I know he is around. Of course, he could be a she but the number of toad babies I have every year really helps keep the slug population down. Love my toads.

Shady it is fun to sit and watch the pond and keep track of the frogs. By August, the tadpoles are frogs about 1" big and when you approach the pond, they all squeak and jump in. By the third year, the adults aren't afraid of humans and sit and watch me feed the goldfish.

Yes I'm lucky to live where I do Mehitabel. I would hate to have to move back to the city and have neighbors I could see and hear. Sometimes the wildlife can be a pain but usually it is live and let live - except for snakes inside my boundries, during the day. I let them have the night to do whatever - I just don't want them here when I can see them :>)

Brooke

• pcan-z9
    16 years ago

Way cool Brooke!! I love all these little creatures!
    Pat....

• xmpraedicta
    16 years ago

Beautiful critters - didn't know you can tell the difference between frog boys and girls by how they do the deed! -_-; Love the peeper in the hammock :D

• olyagrove
    16 years ago

Beautiful! I am a big fan of toads and frogs - I find them adorable
    Olya

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Fabulous Brooke!

I would love to find them all in my garden!

Carolyn

• michigoose
    15 years ago

I recently pulled a bullfrog out of my pond...well, actually, he was on the net I had on top of my pond....I took him about 2 miles away and released him in a private lake. I was hoping that the people who own this place didn't come out and give me holy ned...just what I needed.

I usually have to removed a couple of these big guys a year. The first one startled me as I opened the skimmer and it was sitting on top of the handle you use to pull the filter out....One of the odd things is that if my husband has to do anything with my filter/pond set up, he sends me out first to do frog patrol as he really really doesn't like them...like almost a phobia about them.

Now if it were a green frog, I wouldn't mind but the bull frogs would make some tidy meals of all but a couple of my fish. I think that they would have a hard time with Big Red as she's about 10" now....but the rest would be a froggy treat. Anything a bullfrog can get in it's mouth it will eat...including other bullfrogs.

• highjack
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank goodness Boylene is a green frog and not a bullfrog. My fish, Boylene and her suitors all reside happily together in the pond.

If I had bullfrogs, frog legs would be on the menu :>)

Brooke

• highjack
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I finally got a pic of one of my greenhouse critters - this is Junior who is about 1/3 the size of his Dad. Junior and Dad have been in the greenhouse since last fall.

I am surprised they haven't migrated back to the real world but I guess the prefer the controlled environment.

{{gwi:134173}}

Brooke

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

What an adorable little one! He looks almost a little sullen or sleepy :) "I didn't sign up for a photoshoot! Grr!" - really nice capture!

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

Am I permitted to write about orchids, here?

• highjack
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It is verboten Stitz! The spirit of Spike will return and ban you from the forum if you MENTION orchid in the Off Topic section.

Brooke

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

"ban you from the forum if you MENTION orchid in the Off Topic section."

WoW! That seems very undemocratic. So, this is a Forum ruled by tyrants and despots!?

Will I have to apologize for any past transgressions by my forefathers? I better add foremothers, too.

What about my German grandfather? He left that country well before WWI. Is he guilty? Of what?

Stitzelweller

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

ooops! Earlier this evening, I mentioned "that word" again in a different thread here on the con side.

I didn't mean it! It was a mistake!!

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living