Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

I think we've achieved a new record

aachenelf z5 Mpls
15 years ago

There are 22 post on the the first 3 pages of this forum with the word "phal" in the subject line. Not a criticism, just an observation.

I got a new orchid today, but it isn't a phal.

Right now the weather creatures don't know if this huge storm blowing in is going to be all rain, all snow or a mix of the two. 12 inches of the white stuff should fall about 70 miles north of me. It sure does get old by this time of year.

Comments (64)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gaston - I'll do a trade with you at some point. I love getting new plants that way.

Shady - I thought the shunning threat might knock some sense into you! Check out the hardy Calanthus, Calapogon, Pogonia, Spiranthes, Bletilla. I'm just getting into these, so I still have lots of reading to do. The nice thing about many of these is you can store them in the fridge over winter. I just took my Bletilla and Habs out about a month ago. They go outside for the summer. Easy as dirt.

Another plus: There aren't all that many varieties easily available in the US, so you wouldn't have to worry about things getting out of hand too fast. Of course you could always start importing plants from Canada or better yet start SMUGGLING plants from Canada. That could be kind of fun. Something to think about.

Speaking of aroids - my konjac as of today. I think it was blooming last year at this time. Too cold this year.
    {{gwi:134180}}

WC - That's a cute phal. Tiny pic though.

I'm not totally detached from the elections. I do listen and read, but I'm really trying to stay away from in-person discussions. Too frustrating, too frustrating...

Here's how a recent one went with my sister. I'll leave out names and pronouns so you won't know who I'm talking about. (Wasn't that clever of me?)

Sister: "I would NEVER vote for XXX. XX sounds too much like a preacher."

Me: "Have you taken a look at where XX stands on the issues?
    XX does have a website you can check."

Sister: "NO! I just won't vote for someone who sounds like a preacher!"

Me: "I don't think we should talk about this anymore."

• lunaticvulpine
    15 years ago

yay!!!!
    thanks Kevin

btw... they make lipozene out of Amorp. konjac weird 0_o but meh

also i kinda stopped looking into politics as I'm kind of an odd ball in the belief system and most of what i hear is at best a partial generic promise. and at worst an ill devised lie.

personally i've been slowly plotting a move out of country

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Kevin, amazing plant. It reminds me of the corpse flower. How large does it get?

I'm starting another thread about Photobucket since the upgrade. Maybe user error. That thumbnail of the javanica fills my entire screen, as does every other size I make it.

You're talking to the wrong people about the elections, obviously. You gotta find your choir and then make beautiful music about your candidate.

Gaston, recently a columnist warned about believing in a candidate completely, saying they'll break your heart. You sound safe.

In the spring of 2006, we were just across a frozen lake from Canada. For a second, I was tempted to start walking.

WC8

• pcan-z9
    15 years ago

Wow....Keeeevin...
    you hurt my feelings something awful (as we say here in the south)with your phal counting post thingie....

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pcan - Hurt your feelings? Didn't mean to do that at all. So sorry. Sometimes things get so dead on this side you just have to post a topic folks will respond to. They always respond to phal talk.

WC - My Amorphophallus konjac is a smaller relative of the Amorphophallus titanum (Corpse Flower). There's a whole mess of different species. Last year when it bloomed, the flower was around 4 feet tall.
    {{gwi:134181}}

I guess my main complaint about elections and candidates in general is if people want to pick one and talk about him/her - fine. Just take the time to educate yourself about the important stuff.

• westoh Z6
    15 years ago

WC8,

Not shy or ashamed of my phals, I must have 45 or so currently. I've been on a violacea and bellina kick for a couple of years, have at least 15-20 species and crosses in that genre. Phals are actually my favorite orchid, here in western Ohio they bloom when color is needed, and don't really need a lot of fuss. Once spring and summer get here, I tend to not enjoy the 'kids as much anyhow as I'd just as soon be working in the yard.

Did you happen to get the P. javanica from Chesterfields?

I had a thread in the discussion area concerning the tovarensis stalling, I have @20 new spikes and @15 from last year when I purchased it a a local show. I've only got 5-6 warmth tolerant masdies and this one seems to behave differently than my others. First, it flowers appear to come from a sheath on the end of the spike, not just formed and opened like my other masdies. Second, it 'supposed' to bloom again on year old spikes, so that is kind of neat. Third, I think I'm actually starting to see some progress again, I think there a few flowers starting to stick out of the sheaths. I hope I won't need pampers ;-)

Bob

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Bob, glad to hear your Phal self-esteem is intact. I have a few violaceas and bellinas and crosses.

The P. javanica came from Big Leaf. This one was less expensive than most - it was like I was getting away with something. :)

The Phal. Penang Girl ÂChing Reuy (Phal. violacea x Phal. venosa) from Chesterfield's should be blooming in a few days for the first time since I got it in June, 05. Can't wait but won't be losing control of any bodily functions.

Oooo - gotta check out the tovarensis. Sounds intriguing. If my erinacea (horrida) blooms, I'll have to find something besides p-eing to signify the ecstasy.

You said, "... I think there a few flowers starting to stick out of the sheaths. I hope I won't need pampers ;-)" Just had an image of crazed orchid addicts donning pampers when they're expecting a pee-worthy bud to open. That way, they can go wild the instant they see the flower without worrying about a puddle on the floor.

Are we really having this conversation???

Whitecat8

Here is a link that might be useful: Masde erinacea (horrida)

• arthurm
    15 years ago

There are only two things that are taboo over here.

Food

Orchid Culture

Pampers? What are pampers? Are they something us old guys are supposed to wear when there are no nearby toilets?

Huggies, Nappies yes Pampers?

Straying back to food. One of the food sources for Native Australians was Pterostylis tubers.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think we should throw the old taboos out the window. This place is in serious trouble.

What about religion? Can we talk about Druids?

• westoh Z6
    15 years ago

Arthur,

The ones for old folks are called Depends in the US. I guess a person may have to wear them 'depending' on how long you are able to sit with your legs crossed.

Kev,
    Treading dangerous waters here, but I'll bite. My viewpoint on religion is based upon my total commitment to logical thinking (no wonder I'm an Information Systems Manager, black is black and white is white, there is nothing in between in my work world). With that logical philosophy, I have a hard time understanding/accepting some of the seemingly impossible things in the bible (the only religous book with which I am familiar) and then also wonder why there are so many different religions that think if you don't follow their's you must be a heathen.

In my youth, I spent many Sunday mornings in church watching all of the Christians act high and mighty, but knowing that most of the time it was all just a front for public showing. I always felt they were extremely hypocritical. I think if your a good person that's good enough, praying to a 'God' won't magically change that.

I personally really don't see how Darwinism couldn't be how things happened over the last 10,000+ years... How things (the solar system, sun, planets, etc...) got here in the very first place, well I try not to think about that as I have no logical explanation, but then I don't think that a 'superior being created it' is being logical either.

I'm not trying to insult anyone, just stating my beliefs.

I'm behind the computer, so fire at will.

Bob (the heathen)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bob,

I'm probably closer to you in basic thinking, but I guess I have a few more shades of gray (or is it grey?) thrown in there for good measure. I was raised hardcore Missouri Synod Lutheran and lived that life for most of my youth. At some point things changed and I just preferred not to think about the subject all that much. My thoughts and views are still kind of fuzzy and I prefer to keep them that way. With that said, I do find religions fascinating to study, but I HATE debating the subtle points of any with a passion.

If you try to convert me to anything, I'll probably punch you out in a flash.

• arthurm
    15 years ago

I now feel even more socially inept. If i have to go to a funeral or a wedding that includes the religious bits, i always feel out of place.

Kevin, you obviously do not subscribe to the Walt Disney school of photography when anything even suggestive of sex is not to be seen.

Face Book, Blogs etc. etc. means an overload of info. places to visit, so perhaps that is helping the decline of discussions.

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago

Um, just curious... what is "having the vapors"? Heard that term before, specifically in context of being "Southern" so now that I've encountered it again, I'd like to know what it means...

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

See below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vapors

• westoh Z6
    15 years ago

Interesting cure back in the old days ;-)

Let's see, between religion, sex (seems you can't have one without the other being a factor) and peeing this thread has to keep going.

Bob

• quinnfyre
    15 years ago

Ah, I see... I thought it was, um, something considered unladylike, as in... gas. Ha. Actually, I looked it up afterwards, and it means all sorts of things, like being overcome with emotion to the point of being flustered and faint, to gas, to hysteria... So there isn't one definition after all.

Well, you learn something new everyday...

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Quinnfyre, goodness gracious, I'd never run across the "cure" for the vapors but knew the rest of it. It's a wonder every last Southern woman wasn't having "hissie ('hysterical') fits" daily and setting up Dr. appointments.

Sometimes Southern women also say another Southern woman is "having an attack of the vapors," meaning she's about to "faint and fall out" (on the floor) or "swoon" (almost faint) over something less than trivial.

Having an attack can also mean getting hysterical over something unimportant, blowing it all out of proportion. Much more fun than saying she's "overreacting" - colorless. In the South, dramatic effect counts. :)

As for religion, I'll be serious. Growing up, I hated organized religion and was dragged to Sunday School and church every Sunday. I was furious that religious leaders used words and emotion to manipulate people into adhering to their moralistic, shaming, condescending interpretation of what was right, and that church members seemed to swallow it. At the time, this concept wasn't conscious but rather, a visceral response.

In my 20s, I discovered the notion of spirituality, and then a lot more made sense. My understanding of spirituality is that we can have beliefs separate from the creed of any organized religion. Along with this, each person can have a direct relationship with a higher entity, rather than having to "go through" a mortal who, by definition, has their own mortal issues that can get in the way of the enduring, underlying principles common to every religion.

So - no sex in this one, Bob. It would be cool to hear how others thing of these themes.

Whitecat8

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WC - You put that very well. For me, spirituality or whatever you want to call it is a very private thing I just don't want to discuss with very many people - sometimes no one.

The vapors thing: You know, I'm really starting to think you women folk have gotten a bad shake through the ages. Aren't there any afflictions described my society unique to men only?

OK, here's something else we haven't touched on. The other night I watched "The Man from Earth". Has anyone seen it? I almost took it out of my Netflix cue because it sounded so stupid. The premise: A man reveals to a group of friends that he's 14,000 years old. Sounds really dumb - right? I think this was one of the best flicks I have ever seen.

• westoh Z6
    15 years ago

Kev said: 'Aren't there any afflictions described by society unique to men only?'

The only one I can think of is E/D. Nuff said ;-)

Bob

• lunaticvulpine
    15 years ago

17 years i spent trying to find a place within christianity , with no luck at all, and it turns out that i was shinto all along, and now life makes complete sense, muah ha ha

any ways religion aside
    i looked up the movie on the imdb
    and i cant figure out if it interests me or not. i might throw it up on the net flix list at a later date

Gaston

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Gaston, are you serious about being Shinto? With the evil laugh at the end, I couldn't tell. Or maybe the laugh refers to life making complete sense, a laughable concept. :)

One reason I ask - a teacher with a Hindu background makes a lot of sense to me, although I'm not Hindu.

Kevin, I've made a note of the movie. Your description of it got me to thinking about passing as a "normal" person. How do you honor yourself and others when you know you're different and they don't?

Back to Druids - has anyone been keeping up on the research project at Stonehenge? I saw something last week about a new theory, that it was used for healing.

WC8

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WC & Gaston

I really hope you see this movie. In my opinion, it's science fiction at its best. There are no special effects, no creatures, no distractions from the story. The entire movie takes place in one room and is centered on the conversation between this group of people. Just when you think everything has been revealed - another HUGE confession occurs. It will either horrify you or just blow your mind. I just can't say enough about this flick. I don't know why I had never heard of it until I found it by accident.

Most action or scifi movies are just so mindless these days. It's all about the special effects. You just sit back and try to take it all in. No thinking necessary.

• lunaticvulpine
    15 years ago

WC

i'm completely serious about being shinto, and the evil laugh is about life coming into focus in my continual learning, although my reckoning on evil now a days is that for most, is that it's an excuse lol =D, oddly im also a lot more of a patient and well balanced person for it. or maybe i just grew up and am not willing to accept credit for what i've accomplished on my own.

Kevin

I'm gonna take your advice, it's finally manage to pique my interest enough to add it =D i hope it's really good.. but then again i do like alot of different movies 0_O

Gaston

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

I watched "The Man From Earth" and it was great....this is the kind of movie that leaves a mental 'after taste' in your mind....that's the best way I can think to describe it. I felt slightly unsettled and yet very comforted at the same time - Thanks for the recommendation :)

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Haven't seen "The Man from Earth" yet.

Gaston, my response to this teacher w/ the loose association w/ Hinduism is a bit similar to yours. My patience, compassion, and tolerance for ambiguity are greater, plus humility. Of course, all of them disappear all the time when ego gets involved, but the foundation is there.

Kevin & Calvin, I look forward to comparing notes on the movie.

WC8

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Calvin - I'm happy you saw it and enjoyed it.

"I felt slightly unsettled and yet very comforted at the same time " - That's a really good way of putting it. I thought the story was very good, but I loved the way it engaged me. My mind was just a poppin' throughout.

• lunaticvulpine
    15 years ago

hmm i finally added it to my line up. cant wait to see it. lol it's been on the back burner in my mind for the last few weeks XD

Gaston

• lunaticvulpine
    15 years ago

that movie was amazing. to say the least, it was almost little to cerebral for me but in the end even low budget didn't detract from the presentation of the ideas and the dialog, the acting it self for the most part wasn't bad either my only question remains, was at then end im not to sure if i grasped the scene completely.

but once again this was a great film and Kevin thanks for sugesting it again.

Gaston

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gaston

Once again, very pleased you enjoyed it. Haven't seen anything quite like it since and doubt I will.

K

• chryss
    15 years ago

Hi All !

That is, if you're still here !! May 19 or so is the newest posting !! Right after this post I'll put the movie on top of my netflix queue. WHY , I thought I heard someone say !!?? BECAUSE, I'm a MOVIEHOLIC !! Speaking of which, hasn't anyone seen "Phenomenon" with John Travolta ??? RIGHT UP THERE as close to truth as movies go !! One of my favorite lines " everything is on its way to somewhere" is from it !! Let's put this in perspective, my BEST MOVIE ever, right now recently changed to "Man of the Year" with Robin Williams which, BTW, includes the political thread and expresses my exact view of the political sham here in wonderful USA !!

Come on, talking movies will pump adrenaline into this forum !!

Let's go !! p.p.s. #1) Man of the Year, #2) Matrix, #3) The Ghost and the Darkness, #4) The Outlaw Josey Wales, #5) Phenomenon

CHRYSS

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chryss

I do remember liking Phenomenon when I saw it, but that was a long time ago. I'll have to check out some of the others you mentioned. Lately I've been having a hard time finding movies I want to watch and have seen a couple of real duds that came highly recommended.

I have been having a great time catching up on some of the TV series I never saw like 6 Feet Under. The final 10 minutes of the last episode has to be one of the greatest final episodes ever in TV history. I loved that series and was sad to see it end.

Report back on what you think about Man from Earth. Can't imagine you won't like it.

K

• Driftless Roots
    15 years ago

We didn't watch all of Six Feet Under but I'm thiking I might pick it up again and finish it. It's been so long I'm not sure when we stopped watching.

I see that The Man From Earth is available for streaming on Netflix so maybe I'll pull it up if I get some rainy day time this weekend. I've been trying to get outside as much as I can lately--except for this morning when I AM AT WORK! Tip of the day: Don't get into the landscape industry. It ruins the best part of the year.

• chryss
    15 years ago

K,
    Yes, I guess Phenom was a while ago, but I'm not aware of creation dates when I buy a flik. If you like sci-fi I just reordered and watched Ghost Rider AGAIN !! I'm gonna hafta buy it, I guess !! YES, it's got a lot of CG in it but WHAT A GREAT JOB they did !!

I confess, I quit watching "TV" after the Watergate incident !!! Had cable once or twice, for the movies, Discovery Channel, and Nick at Night but that's as far as I strayed !!! Had to watch all of "Taxi" and "M*A*S*H" !!! BTW, I finally completed my collection of ALL eleven M*A*S*H seasons on DVD but the BEST PART is that you can (and BELIEVE ME I DO !) omit the canned laughter !!!!!!!!!!! Can you IMAGINE !!!

Shady, my tip would be don't go to work for yourself !! It works in my favor about half of the time but it's the OTHER half that's a PITA !!!

Ever start watching a movie and find yourself fast forwarding here and there ?? DON'T recommend "CHE" and I even forgot WHY I requested it !! That was last night's catch up with my NetFlix movies but I DID watch a great Pride & Prejudice and ended with This Property is Condemned (Natalie Wood & CO-STARRING Robert Redford).

Chryss

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK, I found a new series: Space - Above and Beyond. Never heard of it before, but I'm going to give it a try. Here's the blurb from Netflix

"It's 2063, and the people of Earth are engaged in a war with a race of aliens determined to annihilate mankind. Led by Lt. Nathan West (Morgan Weisser) and Lt. Cooper Hawkes (Rodney Rowland), the inexperienced 58th Squadron finds itself on the front lines of an intergalactic war unlike any other. Created by "The X Files" producers Glen Morgan and James Wong, this gritty sci-fi series earned a loyal cult following in its first and only season."

Anybody heard of it or seen it?

For the time being, I'm going to stay clear of movies. I'm enjoying all the TV series available too much. Just finished the first season of Queer as Folk. I had my doubts, but now I'm hooked. Only 4 more seasons to go. Since each disc seems to be running 2 1/2 - 3 hours, that's a lot of viewing time, but I think it's worth it.

• Driftless Roots
    15 years ago

Nathan West? Cooper Hawkes? With names like that I hope it's good!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm terrible with actors names and faces. I Googled Cooper Hawkes just to see who he was and realized I HAVE SEEN THIS SERIES! I was a religious watcher when it was on TV eons ago and yes, it is wonderful. If you're a BSG junkie, you'll love this one and it only lasted 1 season, so you won't have a huge time commitment to deal with.

Just in case you're very shallow, it also has one mighty fine looking cast too.

• chryss
    15 years ago

OK, I'll bite, what's BSG ?? Guess I'm NOT a junkie ! Not much on serials, exceptions are M*A*S*H (guess I said that !), Taxi, and . . oh, yeah . . . STAR TREK !!! My enthusiasm STOPPED when that bald geek and his alien circus tried to take over !! Yeah, the original TREK left a lot to be desired but it WAS the TRAIL BLAZER and it doesn't take anything to walk a path that's already been paved into a FREEWAY for you !!! I wasn't impressed ! Besides, I couldn't get past him being one of the inhabitated in LIFEFORCE, a GREAT sci-fi flik !!!

So, now you know where I'm coming from, I DO LOVE GREAT sci-fi and NOTHING will ever out do MATRIX or STAR WARS or AEON FLUX or UNDERWORLD or VAN HELSING or GHOST RIDER or SPIDERMAN or STARGATE or BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA . . . . . . just to name a few off the top of my head.

Point me in a similar direction with a serial that comes close to one of these.

C-

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

BSG = Battle Star Galactica

Some of us around here really love this series.

• embco
    15 years ago

Chryss-Ever see Firefly? It was the series that spawned Serenity. Didn't like the dialect at first, but it grew on me.

Ok, this is my first day on the site. I just got my first orchids, none of which is a phal, and none of which I really have a clue how to keep alive yet. Little baby vandas, bigger not so healthy vandas (caveat emptor!), no idea what it is from HD, a couple of dends, and two coming that are "vanda-esque" and an m-something. So, you all can educate me and revitalize the threads all at the same time, and my new crew will thank you!

Election time at our house is forever CNN, Dateline, etc. We've got the Dem Natl Conv coming soon to Denver, all I can think about is how to avoid all the traffic? Otherwise, I got numb and tuned it all out months ago. Except it creeps in by osmosis if I'm reading and it's on, ack! We were thinking tropical island as an alternative to democracy....

Religion and politics are closely conected at our house, as we've got one devout atheist and one heck if I know spiritualistic sort. And one kiddo who proscrastinates bedtime by asking, "So who is god, anyway?" The connection is I can't figure out who to vote for, and whatever happened to separation of church and state anyway?

The Road to Wellville had the pelvic massage thing in it, I thought it was just an interesting plot twist, didn't know it was real. Learn something new every day!

I'm a big sci-fi junkie, have to admit I like the bang em up plotless wonders as brain candy after a long day. Or instead of a long day is ok, too. I'm a consultant, my time is mostly my own as long as it's all done by the end of the month. As I'm a terrible procrastinator, I can never decide if I'm glad the week is over or stressed the end of the month is looming.

I had heard of the Space-above and beyond series, but never looked into it. My curiosity is piqued, though. I have all these movies in queue that I can't remember why I thought they'd be good and wind up not liking once they get here, may need to do a little queue-cleaning.

Thanks to everyone for the record-making posts, I'm looking forward to more posts, new threads, and lots of tips for not killing anything off!

Couldn't fit peeing in, sorry.

• whitecat8
    15 years ago

Hi, Embco,

Welcome to the forum. For orchid questions, post on the "Discussions" section. "Conversations" here are for off-topic stuff, the Gallery is for posting pix of your successes, and Exchanges is for orchid plant trades. We're not supposed to buy and sell on Garden Web.

Your kid sounds smart to ask such a big question to put off bedtime. Our household has a spiritual type and an agnostic. Big overlap in values, so it works.

What kind of consultant, if you don't mind my asking? I've worked w/ business process/software implementation project manager types plus organization development consultants.

I live in the Twin Cities, MN, and we're having the Republican convention here. At least, it's in St. Paul, and I'm in a Minneapolis suburb.

Movies are often the next thing on our list - the one we don't get to. My taste in TV series runs to "The Closer," and a friend recommended "Dexter," which has finished for the season, but I'll check it out in the fall. DH is a big sci-fi fan.

Confession - I've been following the elections closely on TV and numerous blogs. It'd be so much less stressful to tune out till it's time to vote. Masochistic me has to be in there for every poll and shift of the wind.

Again, welcome.

Whitecat8

• embco
    15 years ago

WC8-
    Thanks for the welcome!
    Since I was coming in late, i figured I'd try and fit something for each of the thread topics in, to get caught up, and it all started with a phal...I've already gotten some great ideas on how to change my setups (from the on-topic forum), can't wait to try.

I love hanging out with the kids at school, it's so interesting to watch the little wheels turning in their heads and see what they'll come up with next. Logic in motion!

Computers and I don't really get along, I'm a pharmacist, working in long term care. I make sure everybody's meds are playing well with others and that the Rules (big book o' stuff here) are being followed. My IT Dept probably has me on the list of serial computer abusers, they're always having to bail me out of some electronic disaster while in the field.

Ah, the fun of politics. I wind up staring, fascinated, by the talking heads, usually while shaking my own. But, I keep listening, at least with half an ear.

We've been listening to Nim's island in the car on the way home, has anybody seen it, would lit be good for a 6 yr old?

Speaking of cars, time to spring the kiddo, thanks again for the welcome, looking forward to lots of topics.
    Liz

• chryss
    15 years ago

Hi All !!! What a drag, I've been unable to access the net for 11 or 12 days !! I'M BACK !!!

K,
    I can't get over how GREAT a simply done movie "The Man from Earth" was !!! Truly DID love it !!! It's on the level of "Man of the Year" in my book !!! Now I've got a 'tied for first place' situation in my 'Best Movies' list !!! Thanks !!! It REALLY WAS A GREAT MOVIE !!!!!

S-P-E-A-K-I-N-G of which . . . . I just bought another great movie 'Click'. Has anyone seen it ??

Gotta go feed my face,

TTYL, Chryss

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chryss

Glad you liked it. It was a great movie. For the summer, I think I'm going to devote all of my viewing time to some of the series from HBO, Showtime, etc. I'm really enjoying the ones I'm watching and don't feel like venturing into the world of actual "movies" right now, but I'll make sure to check out Click.

K

• chryss
    15 years ago

K

Just been devastated by a near nebulous movie "August Rush" !!!

Oh, sorry, excuse me I'm a NetFlix junkie !! Series . . .h-m-m-m-m . . . does the Raiders of the Lost Arc series count ??? I just bought the DVD series AND a copy of Click AND Superman Returns with ?? Brandon Routh ??? We'll see if he compares. Like, no one compared to Michael Keaton's "Batman", that is until "Batman Begins" !!!

Well, if you're into superbly fantastic movies try "An Unfinished Life" with J. Lo, Robert Redford and Morgan Freeman !!!

C-

• chryss
    15 years ago

Superman Returns . . .ennh ! Christopher Reeves still rules !!!

August Rush was incredible !!

Am I talking to myself again ??

C-

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

I heard mixed things about august rush - it looked incredibly promising from the trailer but then I read some reviews and never got around to seeing it...then again, my opinion of movies often differs from what the critics have to say (ie The Village which I loved but only got 43% on rotten tomatoes), so maybe I'll pick it up this weekend!
    -cal

• chryss
    15 years ago

Cal,
    I go by trailers. Never read newspapers or watch "TV" so don't , and NEVER DID, give a s**t about what critics have to say !! I also go by friend/friendly recommendations ! The Village, just realized I have on DVD and it's one of M. Night Shyamalan's !! I LOVE ALL of his even if Village is not THE best.

Got to say it again !! IF you like REALLY GREAT movies and are aware of Robert Redford, Morgan Freeman, (and J.Lo) watch "An Unfinished Life" or "The Horse Whisperer" !! Both are GREAT like "Shawshank Redemption" or "Legends of the Fall" !!

Chryss

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I loved the last Superman, but I can't remember the specifics. It's been a while.

I have to start checking out movies again. I've been so caught up in these TV series on DVD, but the ones I've been watching are coming to an end. I tried the first disc of Deadwood and was bored to death. Too many characters to keep track of.

K

• chryss
    15 years ago

Just dawns on me (the older you get = the later the dawns are !) that I HAVE a GREAT series !! SHOGUN !! Just recently, for my BD in FEB, was drifting through Border's Books with a friend and mentioned to her as we're passing the DVD section " geez, wouldn't it be great if they EVER bring Shogun out on DVD ?" !!! Turned the corner and THERE IT WAS, THE ONLY copy also !! THAT was an epiphany !!

Now I've got to watch it again !! See what you've done !!! LOL !!!

Don't get me wrong, Superman Returns was good, but the problem for me, as with Batman, is that the FIRST Christopher Reeve's Superman was GREAT !!! So was Michael Keaton's Batman !!

C-

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

another HOME RUN?

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA