Return to the Orchids Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Night blooming cereus cutting

Posted by bob123how Austin, Tx (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 15, 07 at 18:42

I've already posted this on the cacti and succulents forum, but with my limited experience, and no offense to any cacti and succulent people, the orchid post responses tend to be much more complete...with better grammar, usually. A higher class of growers, I suppose. (that was a joke...maybe)

Anyway, I just got 3 cuttings from a friend who grows a lot of Night Blooming Cereus'. From the research I've done, they seem to be epiphytic plants living high in trees (like many orchids), however, he has them growing in pots of soil, with nothing but water and a few hours of direct sunlight in the morning. But they bloom like crazy every summer. I cut two, mid-leaf and one at the node, dipped them in rooting hormone powder, and set them a few inches into some barely moist perlite. They are sitting in an E/W balcony, that gets direct light at sunrise as well as sunset. Is anyone familiar with these and they best way to root, grow, and flower these utterly amazing plants. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Night blooming cereus cutting

• Posted by komi z7/8 DC (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 15, 07 at 19:07

no guarantees on grammar.....

Did you let the cuts dry and callous before planting them? I don't have night blooming cereus (huge plants for an apartment!), but I have a bunch of orchid cactus cuttings.

Let the cut heal, then dip in rooting powder, place barely in gritty or perlity mix, and prop them up (I pour about an inch of pea gravel on top of the mix - this holds the cuttings up). Stick the cuttings in too deep and they will rot. They sit with the phrags or near the catts (slightly less light) until rooted - new growth will appear when the roots are growing well.

The ones I've seen start in the ground and climb up - in contrast to epiphytes that start halfway up a tree and hang or climb further.

But my experience is pretty limited and I haven't gotten to the blooming part yet.

o

Hate to say this, but I've noticed a huge difference in the responses to trades on various forums. Don't know anything about the cacti people, but the carnivorous plant people and orchid people are my personal favorites. The general Plant Exchange forum can be kind of dismal. I can't tell you how many times I've received a response like this to something I had up for trade: "I have this plant with really pretty, pink flowers. I don't know what it is, but the flowers sure are pretty."

Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

o

while I haven't traded anything, I agree with you aa, orchid and CP are my favorite forums. Houseplants nearly ate me alive when I mentioned getting an atropa belladonna (deadly nightshade). Which will be here within the month, by the way.

o

Hi ,
I have a couple of the cereus , Let heal before planting , once potted ( I use African Violet mix ) leave them alone they like to be really pot busting , bound . When growing water well , when not reduce water , They do not like full sun and will burn . I feed along with the orchids .
In the spring they go outside under a tree .
Hope you have a lot of room they get big .
Watch close for buds I thought mine were blasting , it was the night bloomer type, flowers only good for one night :( Hope this helps a little . I kint speel either :) Gin

o

it is so neat to see these bloom.. I had a huge one, gave it away, took a cutting, it's 4 ft tall now..what Gin said, an expert!

also, try moonflowers, omg, they're so cool blooming at night and into the morning.. also, passionflower, love that one, too..

o

Judy, Have you grown night scented stock ? seeds are hard to find blooms not fancy , it smells wonderful at night .

Gin

o

Hey Gin:-) long time!!
I adore stock but have not seen that..
making a note now~ thx, G.

o
Night bloomers

G, check out this site, very cool, a new project for me;-)

Here is a link that might be useful: night bloomers

o

Hello folks, I too have 2 cuttings from a cereus, i purchased on ebay about 2 months ago, followed planting instructions per seller, so far they are just sitting there, all nice and green leaves, but as of yet no sign of any new growth, (sigh), but the seller says it takes time, not to worry....so.....just chiming in here ;-)

o

Don't give up on it. Mine also just sad there like a bump on a log for the longest time, maybe even a year, before it started growing. Now it wants to take over the world. All I do is give it water now and then and occasionally repot it. It's worth the wait, and you can pretty much just ignore it while waiting, at least here in Florida...

o

Hey pryan,That pic will now make it worth the wait no matter how long,,,that cereus is beautiful, thanks for the input and pic !

o

I took cuttings from my 2 cereus' this fall and planted in good potting soil and put in a bright east facing window. Same here, not much happening currently but they are still alive and there may be a branch forming on one of them. I've done this in the past and they always seem to grab eventually, in fact it is how I obtained the two from which I took the cuttings.

These better take as I destroyed the mother plants after taking the cuttings, they had became huge and very unwieldy.

Bob

o

Hello westoh, just wondered do you keep the soil moist that your cuttings are in.I have 2 cuttings planted and the grower i got them from told me to water after the initial planting , but then none untill i see any new growth. i do hit mine with a little water though.

o

Hello westoh, just wondered do you keep the soil moist that your cuttings are in.I have 2 cuttings planted and the grower i got them from told me to water after the initial planting , but then none untill i see any new growth. i do hit mine with a little water though.

o

I water mine when they appear dry. I'd say I water the cuttings every 7-10 days. I've started 3 or 4 cereus cuttings this way, usually over the winter also.

I checked this weekend and mine are starting to send out a couple of new shoots.

Bob

o

Same as bob here. Watered maybe once every week and a half. In summer though it gets watered daily.

o

Both of my sets of cuttings are taking hold, using a little more water now also. I have new shoots from the bases on both sets of cereus'.

I planted 3 cuttings in one pot and two in another, all three are taking hold in one, only one in the 2 cutting pot and the other one is dieing. (The exact reason I planted multiples in the same pot, better odds at getting one through the winter.)

Anyhow, I think both plants will now live on for a few more years.

Bob

o

Does anyone know how to take clippings from a night-blooming orchid? I want to try to get a few different clippings off of mine but I'm unsure on how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

o

Hi all;
I inherited my mother's night-blooming cereus, which was my grandmother's before that. It's bloomed the last 2 years, but no buds yet this year. However, the horrendous winter, lingering cold and late spring here in the NE meant that it didn't come out site until mode June or later. Still checking every day. Sigh.

It does have some new leaves, which appear as tiny red leaves growing off the edge of an existing leaf - which is similar to the way it buds, but so far they all look like tiny red leaves wit yellow tips. I've been lightly feeding it with a very dilute solution of a water-sol fertilizer, 10-30-20 (dilute as those numbers seemed high.) Should I bump up the fertilizer? Or leave it alone?
So, two questions:

1) Looks very healthy (besides the non-budding) but It does has some old leaves which have turned yellow or weirdly pink. Wondering if its ok ago trim them off..?
And -
1) Is possible that the small new red leaves, growing from the margin of a green leaf, are the beginning of a bud?

TIA. I do love this gangly plant, both for reminding me of my grandma's sunporch, and for its weird beauty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Orchids Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here