Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob123how

Paph growing a nub, what is it?

bob123how
16 years ago

I'd have posted in the discussions forum, but isn't that important, as I'll find out in due time. Got Paph Masupi a few months ago out of bloom. What the lady who sold it to me showed me as being the new growth has more than doubled in size out of fan 3 (for our purposes) Out of the center of Fan 2 popped a nub of some sort. Granted, it hasn't done squat since I noticed it, but thats how plants tend to go. It looks like it could be a folded leaf, but maybe not.

Now the pictures. The link is a picture of the entire plant. Fan 1 spiked before I got it and has whats left of a dried stem it is the bottommost fan i the pic. Fan 2 has the nub growing out of it you can kind of see it. Fan 3 at the very back (top of picture) is only one leaf with the "new growth" squeezing out.

The second picture, here - http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u181/Bob123How/MasupiNub.jpg If you zoom way out it can be seen clearly, but I apologize for the blurriness. You can see the skeleton spike in the foreground with the nub just behind it.

A quick lesson in Paph biology would be much appreciated, as I havent been able to find a pic online of a newly spiked paph. thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:134245}}

Comments (3)

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Bob- It is hard to tell from your pics, but looking at the blurry close-up, I think it is a spike nub. If it looks like a fat new leaf, then it is a spike. And it makes sense according to the plants (and paph) growth pattern: plant with old spike makes a new plant that should spike, which then pushes further out with another new plant which should spike. It seems as if the plant got a little crazy with new growths, before it completed blooming the old growths. But this is a good thing, because you might get 2 blooms this season, *and* then have 2 new growth points (1 from each of the just bloomed plants). I have a paph that started 2 new leads, 1 in the standard 'outward' direction from the newest lead, and another new growth from the opposite side of the entire plant - actually from an old fan several growths back in time.

Congrats! And keep us posted.

Carolyn

• bob123how
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The new growth (not the nub, (fan 3)) is infested with something. I was watering this morning, and I set it back under the lights and noticed the new growth looked like it had bird poop in the very bottom, where it was emerging from the fan. I peeled back the the flaps so the speak and tried to carefully peek inside, and it still looked like bird poop. The funny thing is there are no birds in my room!! I didn't have any alcohol and had to go to school, so I doused it with a neem spray, will it be ok, if I reapply in about a week?

Oh and the nub (in fan 2) is open on one side, and folded, but it is incredibly unsymmetrical, one half is significantly shorter than the other half. But otherwise, the nub knows I'm watching and is acting accordingly.

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Hi Bob,

This really should be over in the discussions area. You'll get many many more eyes there, and ideas too. Have you determined what is attacking your plant? have you treated it?

As for the unsymmetrical leaf, that is normal - the larger is just the 1st leaf coming out, growing to start making food for the plant. The others will catch up as the nub gets bigger.

I'm more concerned about the 'bird poop' stuff.

Carolyn

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company