Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Fundamental flaw in our education system.

orchidnick
13 years ago

I went to school in Austria until grade 8, then in Canada for the rest. Watched my 6 kids go to school in California and believe there is a fundamental flaw in our system. The principle is that every kid deserves to graduate from high school and a great effort is made in that direction much to the detriment of the top 10% of the group.

AUSTRIA: (50 years ago, some changes have occurred but I believe the big picture is still the same).

All kids enter grade 1 and progress to grade 4. An exam, similar to an IQ test, is given and the results, coupled with the performance in school is used to separated the students into 2 groups. Those destined for university are sent to the gymnasium, the others go to something they used to call 'High School'.

Gymnasium: All the same for 4 years, then a separation of the science leaning group and the humanity group. 4 more years and a really tough exam called the 'Matura'. Parents and students sweat blood over that one. Successful passage gets you straight into Medical or Law school. The Matura graduate is probably equal to our college graduate.

High School: Everyone the same for 4 years then again a separation into the 'Manual' group who enter trade schools to become plumbers, mechanics etc and the 'Letter' group who take business courses to prepare for the business world.

By the time kids spend 12 years in that system they are well on their way to where ever they are going.

CANADA and the USA: All go the same route for 12 years with a minor exception. In Canada they had a separation leading to 2 types of grade 12 diplomas. The slightly tougher 'Matriculation' was required to get to University or College. In the USA we have the 'Honors' classes which push gifted students so that some college courses can be taken in High School.

Sounds good but the overall system is designed to get as many as possible trough grade 12 leading to a very low achievement level necessary for that purpose. Our graduates lag far behind the graduates of most other nations. It takes at least 2 years of junior college to bring our High School graduates up to par with the rest of the world.

I think one of the underlying problems is that we don't want to let any kid know that he or she is not as good or smart as all the others. 'Rewarding mediocrity' is the mantra. It extends to all aspects including sports. I watch my grandsons come home with sport trophies. Each of them has a shelf full of them. Champions? Hell no, just participants. Their team comes in last and they each get a trophy! What's wrong with telling them "You lost to a better team and therefore you don't get a trophy". Shield them from the pains and tribulations of real life! What ever happened to rewarding first place? I a group of 6 teams only one can be the champion, all the others are not. That is life, teach the kids to be gracious loosers.

And that quest for avoiding the sometimes painful truth is what screws our education system. Nothing wrong with telling a 10 year old kid: "You are not destined to go to University, let us help you become a mechanic." What a great achievement to be a master mechanic, nothing wrong with that.

I truly believe if we triaged our kids and culled them into different groups we could advance each group as fast as possible, much to all of their advantage. They are not all created equal, some are more equal and should not be held back in order to drag every one across the finish line.

The 'Charter School' system seems to have the potential to siphon off more gifted students and advance them but from what I can see that does not seem to produce a significant better end result but rather seems to be hurting the public school system. I don't know enough about that system to meaningfully comment on it.

I don't know why I bothered to write this but Stitz said to let it all hang out so here you are. I know nothing will change.

Nick

Comments (7)

• arthurm
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hello Nick, I laboured long over a reply, pressed the preview button and got this nanny state message
    Illegal String Alert:

Your message contains an illegal string of characters. This string may be an HTML code that would pose a security problem OR it may a word that can be construed as profanity.

Try going back and removing any HTML code from the message and/or scan it for any words that could be construed as profanity or might be similarly objectionable.

There are security concerns that prevent us from providing you with the string.

We realize you may be using this code and/or language innocently, but our programming cannot make that determination.

Thank you for your cooperation.

And all i had done was use a word that started with B and ended with T . Not going to type it all again, Going back to bed.

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

Nick,

I knew an Australian (40 yrs ago) who by virtue of her graduation from "high school", was immediately credited with one year of college credit at the Univ of Maryland.

I knew someone from Thailand (40 yrs ago) who by virtue of his graduation from their equivalent of "high school", was granted TWO years of college credits at the Univ of Maryland!

I don't think that anything has changed much......

--Stitz--

• xmpraedicta
    13 years ago

Nick that's a thoughtful post. I agree absolutely that pampering and patting kids on their backs for mediocre achievements is a particularly insidious problem in the North American system. In my mind, it spawns from the phenomenon of emphasizing individuality...the 'everyone is special' type treatment. To put it harshly, at the extreme this behavior breeds an inflated sense of self worth that isn't grounded in any tangible talent. I've observed that this is a definite negative trait that bleeds into other undesirable personality traits (lack of humility, lack of perspective, poor losers etc...)

But when it comes to the education system, I think it's a tricky area. Education is not just about academic growth but mental and social growth, right? What happens if a kid is a late bloomer? I wasn't particularly good at math when I was in elementary school or middle school. I remember so clearly that in 5th grade, our math class was divided into three groups based upon intelligence: the Septendecillions, the Trapazoids and the Duodecahedrons, in increasing intelligence. I remember being put into the Septendecillions (the dumbest group) because I had performed poorly on the first math test, and I felt terrible. The other two groups would make fun of us (we were the only group with a name that wasn't a shape), and worst of all, we were stuck in the same group for the rest of the year.

I somehow 'got it' in high school, ended up getting one of the highest ranks in math for my class, and I even took second and third year math courses in University. I'm now completing my masters degree and I'll be going to medical school in September - I sure am glad those 5th grade groupings lasted only one year!

It's a slippery slope - you're assuming that intelligence is somehow innate, or at least the full capacity of a child manifests at an early stage where 'sorting' can be done. But really, how well developed is a child's work ethic and self motivation at the age of 8? Poor teachers vs good teachers, differences in learning habits are also factors. And really, is doing well on exams sufficient in being a good doctor?

In my opinion, high school is probably a good stage at which some sort of sorting can happen, because kids have had a chance to figure out whether they are academically minded or not. Options for more talented students should be available should they have the capacity or drive to take them, but it should be about opening more doors to the capable, rather than closing doors for those who might not be capable(yet). One conceivable solution is to make the whole curriculum more difficult from day 1. You are right; our high school graduates lag far behind high school graduates in other countries. The difference between students from places like China and Korea are astounding.

In North America, everyone is special and kids should be allowed to be kids. It's a different culture compared to other places...in Asia, kids take rigorous examinations and are brutally ranked publicly against their classmates. Academically they are superior but they are lacking in creativity and innovation. They also have higher suicide rates...trade-off?

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

Nick,

When I went to school in Indiana in the 60's and 70's we did have a type of 'classing'.

When in 6th grade you took a series of aptitude tests, based upon the results of those tests you were assigned into one of 10 sections of 7th grade. Your section stayed together all of the time, thus making it possible to teach to a common level based on just 20 or so similar kids. If the teacher thought that you were too high or low for the current section, there was an opportunity to move up or down depending on need. This continued until 8th grade, I spent most of my 7th and 8th grade classes with the same 20 or so people. There was always a little snickering and fun poking between the different sections, but that builds character. Gym wasn't sectioned and there is where the 'score' was evened at times ;-).

When moving on to high school (grades 9-12) you chose a 'path'. I took the college prepatory 'path', but there were other paths also. Auto mechanics was taught at our high school, I think there was something along the lines of future homemakers, future farmers, etc...

Well, that was done away with in the 80's and now everyone is treated the same. The very bright aren't pushed and the very slow get left behind.

I liked the old way better where people of similar interests and intelligence were taught as a group and you were always being 'pushed' to learn new things.

I agree that we've turned into a bunch of "panty wastes" as far as accepting that our kid may not be as bright or smart as 'Johnny'.

Bob

• highjack
    13 years ago

Bob I graduated high school in IN in '61 - yes I am that old :>)

We were all lumped into the same classes through the 8th grade but did get the guidance of a counselor when we entered high school. College Prep was one of the areas of high school studies but you could also include a couple of other courses from different classes. I could double up on some of the business courses to go with college prep.

As a very practical person I knew I wouldn't starve if I could type, take shorthand and understood the basics of accounting so I opted out of required study halls.

Remember when you walked the hall during class time and you could hear a pin drop? Remember when you needed a hall pass to be in the hall during class? Remember when you couldn't go to class after an absence without a written excuse from your parent - and the school kept your parents signature on file? Remember when you got in trouble at school and the teacher could paddle you? And when you got home your parents paddled you for misbehaving? Remember when the teacher was always right and your parents believed them and not you?

Brooke

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

Brooke,

Remember when you could actually fail and be held back to take the same grade again!!!! Imagine that today :-(

Yes I do remember and miss those days.

Bob

• highjack
    13 years ago

Bob in the 6th grade I sat next to Everett - he doodled all day or helped the teacher pass out papers, erase the blackboard and even took tests. He always spelled his name right on his paper.

Everett didn't come back to school after Christmas break because he had turned 16 and could drop out of school. He made a respectful living being a good mechanic at a local car dealer.

The teachers had no problems holding kids back a grade or like Everett, several grades.

Brooke

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional