Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

What TV series are worth renting?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
16 years ago

I started up my Netflix membership for the summer and am looking for good "made for TV" series to check out. I've just about finished all the Battlestar Galactica I care to see, am continuing Oz. I also put Six Feet Under on the list as well as Rome. Any others you liked? Did anyone watch Rome? I've heard good things about it.

Kevin

Comments (45)

• organic_kermit
    16 years ago

I am a decade behind, but I recently started the Sopranos series and I am really into it. I also heard good things about Rome.

• arthurm
    16 years ago

Homicide, life on the streets and the wire.

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

A decade, Kermit? I'm working my way through "The Avengers" from the 1960s.

Six Feet Under was good but we only watched the first few seasons. It was getting to be too much of "a thing."

I wonder if the second half of that last season of BSG I haven't seen yet is on DVD now? I'd better check into that. Thanks for reminding me.

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

Firefly is only one season, but it's a very entertaining show.

Scifi with country western throughout.

Stacy

• momma_d
    16 years ago

I'm a Nip/Tuck junkie. I watch it when it's on and watch it again on DVD when my friend rents them because she missed a season. Bizarre, funny, total escapism.

• qylliam
    16 years ago

I second the Firefly motion, and in that same vein I would like to fling out Farscape. It's really exceptionally good.

Also if you like cartoons " Avatar: The Last Airbender" is pretty good.

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Oh, yes, Firefly! Definitely Firefly.

• clairewags
    16 years ago

Firefly the series and then Serenity the movie. The movie answers some questions the series didn't have time to wrap up.

I am a Rescue Me junkie. It starts out as a show about firefighters after 9/11 with Dennis Leary. I guess it would be considered a "gritty drama".

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've thought about The Sopranos, but am afraid to start watching another HUGE series. I'm sure I will check it out at some point.

Yup, Homicide was one of my fav TV programs. I remember hating it when it first started, but after they made some changes I ended up loving it. Naturally they had to cancel the series. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.....

BSG - I don't think any additional discs have come out yet. I'm finishing up Sea 1 (did everything out of order) and might do the mini series later in the summer. I need a break from this although I still love it.

Firefly was one of THE BEST! I was so bummed out when that ended. Thanks for reminding me of Serenity. It's now on the list.

I think I've seen most episodes of Farscape at least 3 times, but I just saw the final episode a couple of months ago. I was devastated beyond belief! For some reason I had never heard how this series ended. Total shock.

K

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

Thundercats?

• qylliam
    16 years ago

Eich....Thundercats are not as good as they were when I was six. It was most upsetting.
    We've had to limit ourselves to no more than one episode at a time.

Ya I had to do one of those "Damn, is my face ever itchy!" sort of things at the end of farscape to hide my devastation. So you saw the Peacekeeper Wars?

There's a scottish series called "Hamish Macbeth"
    that's exceptionally cute if you like Robert Carlyle and comfy british shows.

• clairewags
    16 years ago

Gasp! Yes! Thundercats ho!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Peacekeeper Wars?? Didn't know about that one either. Thank you, thank you!! It's in my queue as of right now. You did know that Ben Browder is now a part of Stargate SG1? That's pretty good too.

K

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

Greatest American Hero?

• qylliam
    16 years ago

Oh ya, that's the only way I've allowed SG1 to be played in my house. The removal of Macgyver was imperative. he is forbidden.
    Now we're friends though.

This one isn't a television series, but the Miyazaki films are excellent and easy going. If you haven't seen them, they're anime without the sailormoon irritating factor that I tend to shy away from.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I had the same reaction to the Macgyver factor in SG1. Loved the premise of the show, but always ended up tearing huge hunks of my hair out whenever he opened his mouth, so I just stopped watching it. Annoying beyond belief! Now that Ben is back, all is better. Must admit I had a few of those itchy face moments when Aeryn first made an appearance on SG1. It was so nice seeing them together again even though they were different characters. Kind of like the universe was righting a huge wrong when they died in Farscape.

K

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Watched Rome Sea 1 Disc 1. It's wonderful.

K

• qylliam
    16 years ago

It's on my list. I can't wait to get into it. Although between my garden, work and school I hardly have time anymore.

Although there's another series called "Robin of Sherwood" that's quite good. If you like Robin hood type stuff.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086791/

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks again. I've never heard of that one, but after reading the reviews by members on Netflix it's now on the list too.

I really love the gritty, historical stuff when lots of attention is paid to the not-so-obvious details. That's one of the reasons I think Rome is going to be great. In the episode I watched there is an operation on the head of an injured man. It's quite bloody, but I loved seeing some of the primitive tools I know they once used for things like this.

I think my eyes will be dead by the end of the summer. Lots and lots of stuff to watch.

K

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

What I don't understand is why you're starting your membership now. Summer is the time I always consider dropping Blockbuster because my boob-tube time drops off so drastically. I want to be outside!

(Except at the moment as there are tornadoes headed this way.)

• qylliam
    16 years ago

Oh my god, go inside, or under tables or whatever you do for tornadoes (we just have snow).

Then you can go into the garden.

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Please, please, please, will someone tell me how Farscape ended? I will *never* get to see it - we (DH, the renter) just don't rent TV shows in this house. We've LOVED that show and didn't understand why it was dropped, but I'll never be able to get that one rented. You can email me if you don't want to ruin it for everyone here...

Carolyn

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Carolyn

I guess the following gives a pretty accurate summary of what happens in the final episode, but without the emotion of actually seeing it happen.

One note: when the word "crystallized" is used, it really means crystallized and blown to bits.

Here is a link that might be useful: Farscape

• cbarry
    16 years ago

Thanks Kev-

I think movie rental subterfuge is in order. Shhhh,

"I have to go to the 'market', dear, we're out of...um...water."

;)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think you're right. Lots and lots of water on hand is very important.

Be warned: That final episode was one of the most devastating things I have ever seen. I just couldn't believe it all ended this way. If you do watch it, you'll probably have some "itchy" eyes to explain also.

• green27
    16 years ago

Lost...LOST,It's Great trust me.

• prc66
    16 years ago

House! Does anyone else watch it besides me? I had to buy seasons 1 and 2, and have season 3 reserved! I watch them over and over! Gotta love Hugh Laurie! Only wished that he could use that gorgeous Brit accent!

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

Lost...wow, I don't know what the appeal is, there.

Anyone watched Weeds? I just got the season set, but I haven't seen any of it, yet.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry, I could never get into Lost or House. I think I tried both maybe two times and found them way too annoying.

Weeds? Don't know that one. Will check my Netflix.

OK, I found THE BEST SERIES EVER!! if you're into cop shows - The Wire. I think it's still on HBO, but there are a few past seasons on DVD. I'm almost done with the first season and just can't get enough of this one. Gritty to the extreme and the main cop guy is very hot to boot. What more could you ask?

K

• arthurm
    16 years ago

After reading through these posts, i now see why we get so much rubbish TV sent to us from the USA. We also get British and local rubbish. So that does expand the choices somewhat.

Do not not know if the main cop guy is hot or not in the WIRE because i don't bat for the other side but there are some sexy ladies in HOUSE. Wonder what real medical doctors think of that show? I imagine they watch and laugh.

• prc66
    16 years ago

"...British rubbish...", Arthur?!?!? I LOVE BRITISH RUBBISH!!! Watching Brit TV shows, and movies is what introduced me to Hugh Laurie. Ever see "A Bit of Fry and Laurie"...it's kind of like SNL but the Brit version with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry...very funny stuff! But I also like the Brit detective movies (modern and antiquated(Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes)), like Midsomer Murders.
    All cool stuff! Okay...off my soap box!
    Patty

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Now we're watching a bunch of Reno 911s. Too funny.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm back to being totally skeptical about anything billed as a comedy. Just saw Hot Fuzz a couple of days ago. I heard such wonderful things about it and just knew I would love it since it came from the Shaun of the Dead director.

Hated it! Hated it! Hated it! Bored me to death. I actually fell asleep. I'm sticking to Rome and The Wire for the rest of the summer.

• qylliam
    16 years ago

Dude, you guys need to watch `The IT Crowd`. I nearly pissed myself...` Are you from the pastÃ`

• arthurm
    16 years ago

Of course there is British Rubbish, they have to fill up the hours with something.

Your rubbish might be my delight and vice versa. An example is Torchwood. Now on at midnight on one of the commercials. The dragon woman and i think it is great, an opinion not shared by the general population.

A similar fate happened to Six Foot Under.

The highest rating show from the USA , i think, is House, at about number 8.

When Heroes becomes available on DVD, I'm looking forward to watching it again without the ads, some i can work out what goes on.

• Judybird2014
    16 years ago

Weeds, seasons 1 and 2~
    shocking, hilarious, mature audience
    (even tho it's about kids as much as adults)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Judy. Netflix give this one a 4.8 rating out of 5. I'll try it out.

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

I'm so out of touch with television I don't recognize most of these shows.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's Un-American. Are you an extremist?

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Yes, in the extreme.

• qylliam
    16 years ago

to the max?

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

totally

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I thought so.

• Judybird2014
    16 years ago

who keeps up with Dexter??
    omg, so bloody & gross,
    but he's such a likable dude;-)

• Judybird2014
    16 years ago

poor Dexter, not too popular~
    We do have to FF thru a lot of it..

Brotherhood, another good one,
    also violent but has a great story and fab characters..
    We try to guess who's about to get it next..
    (uh, oh.. you said the wrong thing then;-)