Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ntgerald

I think my cat ate the blooms

ntgerald
17 years ago

of my new Bulbophyllum biflorum. I left the pot on the couch as I was preparing the photo set-up just outside the door. When I got back in, all the blooms were gone, with no plant debris anywhere, so my impression is that the cat formerly known as Mimi ate them.

Has you cat ever eaten any part of your plants?

Comments (8)

• Judybird2014
    17 years ago

My precious peanut {{gwi:134468}}
    will eat anything green indoors if I don't keep a pot of grass growing by her water bowl. I change it out with another one about every week, clip it back and it continues to grow. She likes it.

• ntgerald
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Goodness, gracious...your cat is the female version of mine.

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Yes....they love to chew on ONcidium leaves.....even with grass available...devil's spawn.....

• cbarry
    17 years ago

My cats (2) have absolutely no interest in orchids (or other house plants) whatsoever. They have easy access (the bay window where they sleep) to paphs, a stan, an oncid, and some others, and have never even taken a nibble.

They are allowed out, so they must get their fill then.

But I feel for you!

• Judybird2014
    17 years ago

I also have to keep 1"-3" river rock on top of the soil in every houseplant or she'll dig the plant out and have herself a new potty! She's never been outside but she loves the screened porch, sleeps out there at night in the spring/summer/fall.

• sambac
    17 years ago

Can't Mimi eat a hybrid dend instead of a nice bulbo, train him/her better NT.

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

Nelson, next time, get a dog.

Interestingly, even though I can't detect a scent from my biflorum, if left outside it becomes covered in flies. Just because we can't detect a scent, it might well be extremely enticing to the-cat-who-used-to-be-Mimi.

You may also want to entertain the possibility that the-cat-who-used-to-be-Mimi has fallen further into a deep psychological abyss brought on by your cavalier response to the role reversal you subjected him/her to at such a young, impressionable age and has become murderous. The-cat-who-used-to-be-Mimi should seriously consider pleading insanity. The earlier bed wetting may just have been a prelude to what is yet to come. Sleep with one eye open and don't leave small children alone with that cat.

• picotee_sofl
    17 years ago

Nelson - my cats - well, down to one now sadly - never showed interest in any indoor plants unless they were plastic, believe it or not. How weird is that? But they were/are allowed out on the patio briefly for a daily chomp of grass that is promptly upchucked. Have you tried providing cat oats or grass for the poor green-deprived critter? :>)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths