Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michigoose_gw

oh brother! it is a work of fiction for heaven's sake!

michigoose
17 years ago

I have been listening to the increasing furor about the movie and book The Da Vinci Code... saying that it was saying something bad about Jesus Christ....I was floored. I've read the Da Vinci code and thought it was a pretty good piece of FICTION, which was never put forward as being anything other than fiction....why is it that so many people are taking this as being Truth rather than fiction?

Does anyone else sort of see this as a current situation similar to one which arose a few years ago with Saloman Rushdie? (and I think I'm spelling this incorrectly...but I kept on lookin at Salmon Rushdie as being very fishy)....

Comments (22)

• ntgerald
    17 years ago

Perhaps people should read that book with an open mind.

• terrestrial_man
    17 years ago

It is simply dumb! I personally think that some people see an opportunity to exploit this fracas for their own gain.
    The movie is just that a movie. I hope it is a good movie but I will read the reviews to find out. I do not really care what is said about Jesus or whomever. Does it really matter and who can really prove anything. I sure haven't met anyone who knew him personally in the flesh!!! Besides do you really think that this movie is really any different than any other religious type movie. They all take liberties with the bible and whatever else reference they want to use to create a story that will make money for the movie. Who knows maybe the studio has drummed all this hoopla up because the movie sucks and they needed to get some excitement going so they will get a bunch of people to spend their 6 bucks or whatever to sit bored to death for a couple of hours!!! Personally, I would rather watch Constantine! It is a lot cooler and I enjoyed the way they handled the portrayal of Lucifer. Lucifer is the most maligned person in the universe but if he walked in the room every chic around would loiter at his feet! He is no ugly duckling and is probably so rich you couldn't see his face from all the glitter off the diamonds on his wrist!
    But do you really think that he gives two hoots and a holler for anyone? That is what the story is all about folks! That is what makes Jesus Jesus and that is what makes whatever any man does or writes or portrays or imagines pointless. No man has that kind of LOVE!

• ginnibug
    17 years ago

I never read the Da Vinci code, but did read the original " Holy Blood, Holy Grail". Was a very interesting book to me. Very intriguing. Had some very plausible info in it. gb

• clintdawley
    17 years ago

It is dumb. But I'm sure there is some truth to it. Have you read the Gnostic Gospels? Especially the Gospel of Mary Magdalene.

Makes you think how much was edited out of the "original Bible"..if there was such a thing...the androgenic bent is quite obvious. I guess Constantine had fun with his red pen and shredder.

• kwmackdog
    17 years ago

hey i think it was a fine yarn. if you scratch into any of the great religions you will find all the makings of a great novel, none without intrigue.

• michigoose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've read a few gnostic gospels Clint...I'm working on a few others. I dont' think it was Constantine, it was the council in Rome, and deciding what went into the Official Bible was really political.

I agree kwmackdog....I just finished reading Zipporah.

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

I haven't really been paying any attention to what's written about the Da Vinci code, other than glancing at headlines, but the right wing born again Christians will go off on just about anything.

I went to a private Methodist college and I had to take two semesters of religion courses. They were taught by a professor with a PhD from Duke Divinity school, ordained minister (naturally), who is also one of the 10 (10 if I remember correctly) people in the world considered enough of an authority on the bible to be part of the authentication process when new, possibly biblical, writings are discovered (these people decide if any "additions" or "corrections/deletions" should be made to the bible). I put off taking these classes until my senior year as I didn't want to listen to someone trying to save my soul for two semesters. Turned out these were two of the most fascinating courses I've ever taken. They were taught from an academic standpoint. Everyone who thinks they know what is in the bible and thinks they know how to interpret it, needs to take a lesson from those who really do. These authorities on the bible don't read things into it that aren't there. They take it literally and at face value. With all the intolerance in the world (mostly in the name of God, and for all but a couple religions IT'S THE SAME GOD, including the one in Iraq), it should be mandatory for all religious zealots (regardless of religious affiliation) to have their eyes and minds opened by broadening their understanding of religion(s) through lectures etc., from an academic standpoint.

Unfortunately, most won't want to hear it.

The point being, people can't even read and interpret the bible correctly, a book of fiction, forget it.

Hey did anyone else see Tom Hanks on SNL last weekend and think he was looking old, especially in the monologue?

Laura

• clintdawley
    17 years ago

Yeah...not to mention the Gospel of Judas. Was he, or was he not a traitor? What effect will this have on future religious teachings?

• michigoose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Laur, this was the Catholic Church who made a statement as well...not just Right Wing Christians...in fact, I think they've made less of a stink about this than the Catholic church's hierarchy.

• prc66
    17 years ago

I agree Lis..."much ado about nothin'"...good piece of FICTION...but come on! Enough already! Some people need to get a life!

Yep, it's me...Patty! I'm back!

See ya! :D

• siobahnk
    17 years ago

i read the book expecting a good read and that was it and that was what i got. but then i never expected it to necessarily be FACT. just the same as the BIBLE isn't necessarily FACT. remember always- IT WAS WRITTEN BY MAN. all religions have merit, but none are completely correct and people should wake up and realize that and not believe everything they read or hear just because it comes from a holy man, and "for god's sake" stop fighteng over religion and condemning each other.

• Judybird2014
    17 years ago

hmmmm Many of us Christians believe God wrote The Holy Bible using human authors whom He carefully chose.. of course some of it has been altered, even punctuation can change interpretations, but my belief is God wouldn't allow it to be drastically changed so that it would be the same handbook for each generation.

I didn't read this book but thought it was fiction when it came out, (mainly because it was on the fiction list;-)

• michigoose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Who's condeming each other?

• terrestrial_man
    17 years ago

Has anyone seen the movie?
    Apparently all the hoopla has paid off at the box office.
    But if you have seen it is it really worth the bother?
    Or should I watch a rerun of Star Wars instead????

Also as per the Bible.
    According to the Bible, its writing is inspired by "God".
    However, the "Word" of "God" is not the Bible but Jesus!
    It is sad to me that some people will worship the Bible more than Jesus!!! thereby making the Bible an object of idolatry! This is the situation of the Pharisees that Jesus encountered and confronted!

• clintdawley
    17 years ago

Yeah..it makes perfect sense that God wouldn't "allow" the Bible to be changed but would allow famine, genocide, etc. *rolls eyes*...

I think every Christian owes it to themselves to rationally explore why they "believe" certain things. But then again..what is rational about religion anyway...

• siobahnk
    17 years ago

I didn't mean that anyone here on this page was condemning each other, i meant the world in general, and not just the middle east. there's still the irish. i don't see how, if god wouldn't allow the bible to be changed too much, then there would even be not only different versions of the bible (it says in one version at least that the word of god is not to be altered in any way), but also other religions, some completely at odds with the bible. and don't forget the dead sea scrolls, angelic writings found, and why is there more elsewhere to be found about the war in heaven but not according to christians? we were given free will, so i can't see how any book written or edited by man can be comepletely fact- there's a whole lot to wade through to get to the truth. no reason for anyone to fight over what's in the da vinci code- even if it wasn't meant to be ficion, it's still another man's point of view and therefore worth as much as anyone else's. okay, okay, i'm rambling, this is no longer going to make any sense.

• Judybird2014
    17 years ago

Clint, I'll roll my eyes at your "beliefs"..(lol)
    and you continue to roll yours at mine, sweetie.
    That's one of the few rights we have left.

• ceratog
    17 years ago

I just saw it. It was a little slow. I never read the book, but it it essentially Holy Blood, Holy Grail fictionized and glossed pretty heavily. Apparently the movie follows the book very closely which slowed the movie down. I'm glad I don't have to read the book now. I couldn't help thinking about Dogma within the first hour and the plot unravelled for me.

Yes. It is a work of fiction as Plantard declared in the 80's. And yes, around our globe, all the different fingers point to the same sun and the same moon.

The media sensation and repercussion of the religious right the book has created has been pretty interesting to watch unfold. All this in a time when lines are being drawn in the sand along sectarian, religious beliefs. Makes one hesitate to wonder what lies ahead in the next 20 years or so.

"A Calph, Rabbi and a Bishop walk into a bar. One says to the other 'Hey now brother, we haven't gotten very far.'"

• terrestrial_man
    17 years ago

20 years?
    Wow here I am thinking that we are somewhere around the
    thirteenth chapter of the Revelation.
    If all is as it is written then look for continued
    destabilization of world goverance as former super powers
    vie for global dominance and/or influence followed by
    meltdown of the major consumer nation and global depression out of which rises a strong and almost superhuman savior to lead what is left of world governance and to confront
    challenges to that domination through sheer brutality and
    oppression. Then it really heats up!

And then The Return of the Jedi!

(Read the book of the Revelation)

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Return of the Jedi? That was pretty good but I thought the Ewoks marred it. Are there Ewoks in the Da Vinci Code? If there are, I'm not going.

• ceratog
    17 years ago

Ewoks? LOL, no Ewok but there is a monk that dresses like one! Yeh, Revelations...Here's an interesting tidbit for anyone who doesn't know. I first heard this on some PBS show and then verified it through a Russian coworker of mine. Remember in Revelations where it speaks about the star called Wormwood and the bitter waters? Wormwood is also a stubby grass that grows on the plains of the former Soviet Union. Only in Russian, this Wormwood grass is called "Chernobyl".

• terrestrial_man
    17 years ago

AH! Now One small step for man, One big leap for ???????

The mushrooms are coming! The mushrooms are coming!

Hey that sounds like a cool name for a group: The Shrooms!

1984 anyone?

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm