Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judybird2014

My dog died:-(

Judybird2014
17 years ago

13 yrs ago DH picked up a shiverng and scared puppy on a bridge in south GA, drove around but saw no houses nearby so he brought her home, took her to the vet the next day, he said she was a yellow lab and would be one of the best dogs we'd ever have! Turned out to be so true!

Even though she destroyed all the porch furniture, tore up the screen, chewed up and ruined the central hvac system outside, many other things, all this in her first 18 months.. After she got over that, (we think she was jealous of yorkie living inside) she became the best dog in the world!! We finally let her live indoors at age 3, and I can honestly write you that she never did one thing wrong in this house, she was so grateful for letting her in.

She was a huge dog, longer legs than most labs, she wasn't fat but weighed 100 lbs and had arthritis and heart problems, did great on meds for 2 yrs but old age finally got her 2 weeks ago. (She had a doggie door and would fly out of it after squirrels so we think she bumped her legs so much on that..) Vet said it was amazing she lived that long and tried to make us feel better about that, to no avail.. we had her cremated and have been in such a funk since then.

We didn't have children so these animals, omg, like babies to us that never grew up. Peanut, the cat, walks all over the house looking for that big pup.. Dixie, the african grey, was quiet about it for a few days then hasn't stopped saying, 'FRIDAY AT THE LAKE'.. (we had a lakehouse for 6 yrs and I'd leave town just about every Thursday afternoon and take the dogs and cat with me, leaving the birds for Robert to take care of, he taught her 'mama at the lake', he never said 'friday at the lake'... but she had thought about it, I guess..

Anyway, it's neat when you get a new animal but man oh man what a heartbreak when they leave.. thx for this outlet even though I'm sitting here bawling. The day she died, wonder why I'd subject myself to sitting here at the comp searching every picture I could find of a yellow lab, it was like torture but I couldn't stop looking at them.

Hope all of your pets are doing well this summer day, give them an extra hug for me.

Comments (18)

• clintdawley
    17 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved pet. I am grateful for my two cats (the big ole slobs) every day. I kiss them when I leave and when I get home for work every day.

Animals quickly become parts of our family, and the loss of a family member is not easy to deal with. I pray that you find peace and good memories.

Clint

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Aw, that's really a bittersweet story. I think smart dogs like labs really do clue in to the fact that they've got it good. It gives the term "lucky dog" real meaning when one is rescued and given such a good, loving home. I hope you find some solace in knowing that from day one you did the right thing by her and gave her a happy life.

• garlicgrower
    17 years ago

So sorry to hear that. My sympathy.
    Maryanne in WMass

• momma_d
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry. Like Shady said, you did right by her from day one. My old black lab Ruby is 10 and needs to have all her teeth pulled. She has such terrible gum disease that we've run out of options for treating it. I'm hoping she'll be around for at least a couple more years after her dental woes are resolved. Labs are the best dogs I've ever had the pleasure of sharing life with.

Laurie

• turkeytaker
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. She's probably in housepet heaven lounging on a sofa somewhere wondering where her birds and 'parents' are.

Stacy

• Judybird2014
    Original Author
    17 years ago

bless your hearts, thx so much for this..

Robert doesn't sit down at the comp much, travels daily, (outside sales, machines that make tools(?), anyway, I printed this for him to read, he got a lump in his throat.. I said, didn't I tell you nothing like orchid folks;-)

I received some private emails that would make you cry, too. We're doing better this week, altho I miss her most in the kitchen, always there looking for a morsel from mom.

Stacy, you're probably too young to remember Lewis Grizzard, but he died at an early age, famous, southern comic~ wrote the funniest articles in the ATL Journal, (he'd had valve replacement and got a virus in his heart that killed him, I believe).. He had a dog he loved so much and wrote so much about that love. The dog had died earlier and when Grizzard died the Atlanta Journal had a picture of him at the Pearly Gates and back in the picture was his dog running like crazy down the road to the gates.. (We couldn't even speak about that picture for yearssss without tearing up.. gawd, we're softies..lol)

thx again, everyone!

• michigoose
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry Judy....Luna is now 12, a very young 12, but Sibes don't live much longer than that usually. It will be sort of sad not to have my walking companion.....Hugs. Lisa

• cbarry
    17 years ago

Judy,

I'm so sorry about your loss, after 2 years I still sometimes feel the pain of losing my girl 'Fish'. Think warm memories of your baby, and she will be with you always. I remember when one of our cats did the same thing as Peanut and went looking for 'Red' after his passing, even now I laugh to myself wondering how she could think he could fit behind the couch...

Think of the funny times and all of the wonderfully silly things she did, and laugh a little and cry a little, and she will know that she is still in your heart.

Carolyn

• shannon_widmer
    17 years ago

Judy,

Sending big hugs your way! I'm so sorry for your loss.

--Shannon

• Judybird2014
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey Lis, long time, no see.. you're doing a wonderful job keeping Luna healthy and happy, they are such beautiful dogs! You remember Cat O'Reilly from the forum a few yrs ago.. she adopts older Sibes that have gone to shelters or need to be taken out of homes.. The heartbreak that gem of a woman has gone thru, you wouldn't believe.. she's such a fabulous person.

Carolyn, what a beautiful thing to write, your last line was precious to my heart!

And, Shannon, thank you, sweetie, how are you enjoying North Dakota?? so glad you made it thru the winter;-) funny how I always think of you when I hear anything to do with ND..Hugs right back atcha!!

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

You're all making me cry.

Judy, I'm so sorry. They give us so much, unconditionally, and in the end we are left to do the "dirty deed". They make us laugh, cry, pull our hair out, lie (NO my dog didn't get in your trash), throw balls until our arms hurt, they make a bloody mess of our cars when we take them to the beach (what I can't rinse my dog off in the public showers), they bark at inappropriate times (just guess when my two decided to bark at a leaf falling off a tree a mile away when a new b/f and I were.... never mind),they force us to give them too many treats and take them for rides in the car. They don't understand that we can't see to make a left turn through their heads. They don't know it's rude to ignore the treats they get in the Walgreen's, bank or McDonald's drive thru, cause they're waiting for their part of that cheeseburger (even though Walgreen's and the bank don't have cheeseburgers).

I read in a Dear Abby or Ann Landers column once, I think a priest wrote a poem about where our pets go when they die. Anyway, the gist of it was that good dogs never go anywhere without their masters/members of their pack(now we all know who is master in this relationship is questionable), so your dog is waiting at heaven's gates for you because she won't go anywhere without you (since you have parrots, and they are part of the "pack" pack a lunch, you could all be there a while).

Judy, your dog had the best of everything. I'm assuming while at the lake she was allowed to be "a dog". At home she had gourment food, heat, AC and lots of love (she probably had that at the "lake" too).I'd be willing to bet that your dogs, like mine, are spoiled rotten and you do without or compromise while they do "their dog thing" (they stretch out in bed, you curl up so they have room).

I too have a 12 year old dog who is not even close to showing her age. Trust me, not a day goes by I don't thank my lucky stars for that, but the day is coming when I'm going to have to decide at which point I have to say "enough". Bless your heart, it's so hard.

Parrots are amazing aren't they?

Laura, Remy, Sunny, Josie and Tweets

• drvinnie
    17 years ago

Judy: My condolences to you and your husband. We had to "put down" our 14 yo yorkie, Coco, about 2 months ago. He was my wife's dog through some really bad times in her life before we met. I know he kissed many a tears during his life. But at the end, his life was terrible and it took the vet and me about 4 months to convince DW that it was time. But now he's gone over the rainbow bridge and I'm sure running around chasing butterflies. At least we had our time with him. Of course, DW then went out and got 2 Italian Greyhounds to join our pack (making 4 IG's & 3 yorkies). You can never replace them but there's nothing like a new puppy to drag you out of a funk.

Best Regards,

Vince

• Ginge
    17 years ago

I am so sorry Judy .
    I don't come to this side a lot and just saw your post .
    Remember the good times they are precious . Hugs Gin

• shannon_widmer
    17 years ago

Judy, you're so sweet. I still don't like ND and I'll be here for at least another year. This past winter was a breeze compared to the first one!

I hope you're feeling a little better. I know it's hard and it takes time.

--Shannon

• picotee_sofl
    17 years ago

What a lucky dawg she was, Judy! Imagine if your DH had not found her on that bridge and brought her home. She obviously had a wonderful, contented life filled with love. We lost a beloved cat two months ago. She would have been 17 this month and we are still walking around in tears. Her little cat buddy, who is just a year younger, still walks around looking and crying for her. It's a heartbreak but we try to remember all the love she gave us. Like you, we have no children and our pets become our family. I am so sorry for your loss.

Marci

• Judybird2014
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks, you all..
    funny how all of us are animal lovers, goes with the nurturing territory, I guess.

Vince, I remember you writing about the yorkies and greyhounds; I knew you were a good guy then;-)

Good ol' Friday did have it made here with us. I think if you let any pet just be all that he/she can be, without any fear, they'll surprise you with their intelligence.

Hey Laura! Long time!! Yep, we had to fence in the lakeside of the yard at Sinclair, even put in concrete steps for all of us to get in the water.. Friday was never the type to just jump right in off the dock, she liked to wade first, then would swim out to us or go for a thrown stick.. (yorkie Cricket does NOT like the pool or fresh water, probably because I bathe her too much, lol.)

Thx again, everybody, you'll never know how much this helped us.

• ginnibug
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry that your baby is gone. I miss all mine that are gone, still.

I've actually been getting a hankerin' to get another Dane baby,what am I thinkin'. That's a tickin timebomb in the heartache dept. gb

• ginnibug
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry that your baby is gone. I miss all mine that are gone, still.

I've actually been getting a hankerin' to get another Dane baby,what am I thinkin'. That's a tickin timebomb in the heartache dept. gb