Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judybird2014

On a happier note..

Judybird2014
17 years ago

I went to the doctor yesterday and she said I was finally at a perfect weight! Yay!

I've been counting carbs, actually on South Beach Diet, for a good while since she told me to drop about 35 lbs. It really is a great diet if you can get through the first 2 weeks. It's hard to believe but you really do lose cravings for all the wrong foods if you can resist them for 2 weeks.

After that it's easier because you can make logical choices without the craving being in charge.

Best snacks to get through the detoxing phase: sugar free jello w/pecans, deviled eggs, celery w/cheese, loads of water! For meals, grilled meats and mostly asparagus, green beans, cabbage, broc/cauli, that sort of high fiber veggie..(you take carb content and subtract fiber to get usable carbs.) lots of chicken salad in tomatoes..yummy!!

She asked me, are those fake fingernails because they're bad for your nailbed.. I said no ma'am, must be high protein or all that jello, never had such hard nails before.

Good luck this summer if you're dieting; an easy time to lose it, IMO, too hot to hide under a lot of clothes;-)

Comments (9)

• clintdawley
    17 years ago

I believe women that want stronger nails commonly buy a gelatin capsule available in the pharmacy. My nails are so paper thin they have deep grooves and peel off like onion skin.

Congrats on the weight loss. For me, it's a constant battle between the fruit plate and the banana split. ;0

Clint

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Congrats! Grilled meats: Amen to that! Last week I planned all the dinners in advance and five of them were grilled. Up here in the land of snow we try to do as much outdoors in the summer as possible. While probably not South Beach friendly, the hands-down best menu was tandoori style lambchops. Yum!

• Judybird2014
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thank you, guys!!

I'm proud since it's the first diet that I stayed with longer than 2 weeks!

Clint, you don't look like you need to lose in your pics; after all, that camera adds 10 lbs;-)

Shady, one of my favorite SB recipes:

Tandoori Cornish Hens (serves 6)

3 cornish hens, 1 lb ea
    1 1/2 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    pinch freshly ground pepper
    3 TBS fresh lime juice
    1 cup fat free plain yogurt
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 inch fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
    1 small onion, coarsely chopped
    1 tsp cumin seeds
    1/2 tsp ground turmeric
    1 lime, cut into wedges
    fresh cilantro or parsley

thaw the hens if frozen.. rinse, remove giblets and necks and pat dry. Make several slits in the skin, then split each hen in half along the breastbone.

Mix together 1 tsp of the chili powder, salt, pepper & lime juice. Rub the mixture all over the poultry and set aside for about 15 mins.

In a blender, puree the yogurt, garlic, ginger, onion, cumin, turmeric and the remaining 1/2 tsp of chili powder. Place the poultry pieces in a bowl and add the yogurt mixture. Mix well to coat all pieces. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hrs, turning occasionally.

Preheat oven to 400 (or preheat grill to 400) Place the hens, skin side up, on a rack in a roasting pan(or use a grilling pan).. spoon the yogurt mixture over them from time to time until thoroughly cooked, 45-60 minutes or until the hens are very tender. Test for doneness by pricking the skin of the thigh, juice should run clear. Serve hot. Remove the skin before eating;-) and garnish with lime and cilantro or parsley.

150 calories
    22 g protein
    8 g carbs-1 g fiber=7 carbs
    4 g fat
    100 mg sodium

This is so good with artichokes or eggplant and a salad!

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Congrats Judy! Way to go! YAYYYY! Notice, you hijacked your own post back to....recipes??? :) Lis

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Oh, Judy that sounds soooooooo good! With removing the skins ;-) do you still retain the yummy marinade flavor? My co-conspirator and I may be finally buying a gas grill this weekend (we've become too impatient for charcoal) and this may well be one of the first things we try on it. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

May I ask how long it took to lose the wt?

• clintdawley
    17 years ago

Very yummy! I have a couple of hens in my fridge and I'm going to have to try this out!

...I only worry when my skinny pants start to fit a little more tightly. I'm like..okay..no more sweets and more fiber for a couple of months!

• Judybird2014
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thx, everyone, it really does feel good to detox from all that sugar, bread, potatoes, everything white;-)

shady, I got very serious about it Apr 1st, took about a week to get my mind around it, all bad foods either given away or thrown out, didn't cheat after that, tried to do it several yrs ago but I didn't quit everything you're supposed to and had very little success.

If you decide to do it, you will be shocked at your willpower after the first two weeks! I've been to reunions, BBQ, one wedding and didn't miss a beat. Funny how people will try to feed you if they find out you're dieting..'one little pc of cake won't hurt ya'.. yeah, right!

Yes, the flavor from marinating comes thru great in the cornish hens.. Having Spinach-Stuffed Salmon Fillets tonite (pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, soooo good!)

• rita_h
    17 years ago

Congrats on reaching your goal! Does the "no sugar" mean no fruits, too? I wait impatiently all winter for spring when fresh local strawberries show up at the market. Then, come cherries, then peaches and nectarines, then blueberries, cane berries, tomatoes, melons, ... I couldn't bear to go without them.

• Judybird2014
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hiya rita..yep, no fruit allowed for first 2 weeks; it was hard for me because I love them, too.

You're allowed a tomato a day or 10 cherry tomatoes, and V-8 juice, but no others. (After 2 weeks, strawberries and peaches tasted like a sugar pie!)

Good thing I'm over that because my cantaloupe and watermelon plants are going wild..have about 10 watermelons now bigger than grapefruits, love watching them grow.