Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
driftlessroots

While We're on the Subject of Food

Driftless Roots
17 years ago

A friend sent me a link to this site. Who doesn't love vintage recipes with snarky commentary?

Here is a link that might be useful: WW Recipe Cards

Comments (11)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

That Chicken Liver Bake sounds pretty tasty. Yummmmmmmmmmm.........

I love stuff like this. Two of my fav cookbooks are ones my mother gave me. One is all recipes from people in her church and another one is from people she used to work with. All the recipes have been around for about a zillion years. I keep telling myself one of these days I'm actually going to make a bunch of those casseroles. They are fun to read through.

• clintdawley
    17 years ago

How fun and disgusting at the same time.

Did you see the really pretty cattleya on the Polynesian Snack recipe card?

• kwmackdog
    17 years ago

i have an old grange cookbook with the complete menu and recipes for a thrashing party! great stuff

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

I finally looked at all of these and a few of the links. I haven't laughed that hard in a very long time. Great stuff.

K

• kwmackdog
    17 years ago

same here,early in the day for tears streaming. soooofunny. thanks.

• nbutler5
    17 years ago

hilarious! I'm at my desk at work tears streaming down trying not to LOL but can't suppress many giggles - especially the "frankfooter spectacular" one, thanks!

• Driftless Roots
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now I want to go out and scour garage sales and junk shops for funky old cookbooks. I used to have the Knox gelatin "On Camera" book. It was a riot but now I can't seem to find it.

• Driftless Roots
    Original Author
    17 years ago

IT GETS BETTER! The author is having a contest. Make one of the dishes, submit a photo, you may win a book!

A friend of a friend made a variation of the frankfurter monstrosity not knowing this so we're encouraging her to enter.

Inexcusably insane cookery is alive and well!

Here is a link that might be useful: Make the Mackerel! Contest

• varmint
    17 years ago

Funky old cookbooks are great especially if they evoke a place or an era. Here in Santa Barbara we had a cult in the 70's called the Sunburst family farm. They farmed and owned a health food store and a restaurant up the coast. A couple of years ago, I found the Sunburst family farms cookbook at a used book store. Not only did it have recipes for making your own cheese but it had pictures of this area and the people from the 70s. The book is priceless. I would definately recommend keeping an eye out for old cookbooks. They are a cultural history and quite amusing!
    -Mimi

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

I guess there's an updated Twinkie cookbook out there.

Do these things still exist? They must I imagine.

What about those little fruit pies? What were they called? I loved those things to death, but that was a very strange tasting fruit filling.

K

• Driftless Roots
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Funny you should mention Twinkies. We were just perusing the hostess site yesterday and found the Twinkie sushi recipe. I may actually have to give the Twinki-misu a try as well.

This is all reminding me of the Krispy-Kreme donut wedding cakes.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH