Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
turkeytaker_gw

Go. Which is, apparently, not an accurate description of my post

turkeytaker
17 years ago

Does anyone here play Go? I bought my friend a board a few months ago for his birthday, and we've had a lot of fun with it. It doesn't seem to be an overly common game among my peers, but I know that a lot of people play it.

Just curious.

Stacy

Comments (7)

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

I've tried but don't have anyone to play with. I do play backgammon and other games online with a friend of mine. Maybe we'll give go a go again. I think it's more common among the tea/scotch/mac/unix/electronica crowd if I may say so.

• clintdawley
    17 years ago

Never heard of this, but it sounds fun..

Having developed in China between 3,000 and 4,000 years ago, Go (called Wei Ch'i in China and Baduk in Korea) contends with backgammon for the right to be called the oldest game still played in its original form. Today it is played by millions in Asia and thousands elsewhere.

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

I once read a book about a go match between a couple of masters. Each move was illustrated in the book if I remember correctly. Not fully understanding the game I had to deduce a lot of the drama, like why the spectators were shocked at a move the younger player made that insulted the older player. Apparently there's a lot to it that one doesn't just pick up in less than several years of serious play.

• turkeytaker
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've never been good at backgammon, actually. Go does seem to be more of a geek game; I was told it raises your geek rating up somewhere around ten points.

As for the subtleties, I don't think that I'll ever pick that stuff up until I join a Go club. I'm still at the that's-really-kind-of-cruel-that-you-cut-me-off-and-didn't-respect-my-handicap stage. :)

If you get a chance, I'd definitely try and pick it up, but I've definitely found that buying a book on the actual techniques of the game is the only way to learn unless directly taught. The online manuals don't seem to cover enough.

Stacy

• komi
    17 years ago

I tried to learn it.... and I find that I just can't do the adding up so I can't tell if I'm winning or losing. The fact that software can't get the counting right (until the game is complete) makes it even worse for practicing. I think you have to just go to a go club. There's one that meets 2 miles from here and I have yet to go.... I just wish I'd started playing when I was 12 - when my brain worked the best!!!!

• mrbreeze
    17 years ago

My Go phase was a couple of years ago. I grew up with Pente, which is similar and yet, different. My sister is good at Go. I'm too aggressive in all those types of games. In chess, my queen often gets captured early on. I really suck at checkers. Well...I gotta go.
    -MB

• howard_a
    17 years ago

Othello, also known as Reversi. Considered inferior to Go but still played by lots. Has a U.S. federation and an international tournament circuit similar to Chess. It was back in the 80's when I was playing actively. I haven't even looked at an Othello board in 15 years. Anyone know whats going on with it now?

H