Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbarry_gw

Shanti, the newest addition to the family

cbarry
17 years ago

Meet Shanti- this is the pooch that I spoke of when I tried to break that 100+ post message in the discussion area. Shanti means peace in Hindi. She's 7 mos old, and probably a lot of shepherd, although border collie was mentioned. She looks to be more shepherd, but bounces like she might be border collie. She's quite slim- only about 40 lbs.

We'd forgotten what a young puppy is like. The 3 ft gate in the yard is her practice hurdle - a fence that big brother Yogi would never consider jumping (because you're not supposed to do that). She was over it 3 times before I wised up enough to tie her to me, otherwise she kept running full speed to the end of the lead and, well, you can picture what happens then...

Carolyn

It's hard to see here, but she's reading last month's issue of "Orchids" (just trying to catch up).

{{gwi:134536}}

A close up, with lots of dog spit (from her big brother) around her neck :)

{{gwi:134538}}

After a long day of playing Yogi. Yogi is about 2.5, and a boxer mix.

{{gwi:134540}}

Comments (6)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

She has "that look" in her eyes - shudder, shudder........but still very loveable I'm sure. Dogs are just the best.

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

You named her the Hindu equivalent of "peace"?

a puppy = no peace
    an addition to the "family" = no peace (there goes the status quo)
    owning two dogs = no peace
    a teething puppy = no peace (why do they only chew one shoe of each pair?)
    border collie = no peace
    walking two dogs on leashes = no peace (they will "wind" around you in two different directions)
    taking two dogs to Petsmart = no peace (lesson in futility)
    sleeping with 2 dogs = no peace (they stretch out, you curl up)
    sex = no peace (dogs redefine voyeurism)
    two sets of big brown eyes laying a guilt trip on you = no peace
    two dogs conspiring against you = no peace (NO, you can not put off dinner another 5 minutes, WE WANT FOOD NOW, dogs are synced to the atomic clock in Colorado, when their 24 hours is up between meals, you will get no peace)

Cute puppy Carolyn.

Kevin, you see here's the deal: the reason puppies are so darn cute is to ensure their survival. If the cute quotient weren't so high, no dog would live past the age of 6 months.

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

I forgot to add that when it comes to dating, dogs are worse than kids. They will sabotage a hot date every chance they get and it's usually by pulling out the "gross" card.

Now, I realize you already had a dog but adding the second.... First you had dog A. Dog A on it's own is well behaved and no trouble at all. Now you have a dog B, but not only do you have dog A and dog B, you have the subset of the two, the sum of which is greater than the two parts. Let's call this dog C. Dog A and B collude, so you never know which is going to transform, if only for a few minutes, into the devil's spawn, dog C. Due to this, dog C is always a mystery, ready to rear it's ugly head when you least expect it.

Let me tell you, there is nothing like standing in the driveway at night wearing your "little black thing", as well as pearls and heels, with a dog's tail in one hand (holding the dog in place) and the other using the hose to clean off a dirty butt when a date shows up.

Dogs, gotta love 'em.

• cbarry
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Laura,

LOL on both posts!

But you see, she also brought balance to the world. Long ago our household had 2 humans, 2 dogs and 2 cats...a boy & girl of each. While the dogs have changed, we found ourselves with only a boy dog - the universe was unbalanced. Shanti brings us back to 2 humans, 2 dogs and 2 cats...a boy & girl of each.

And actually there is a new sense of peace- She has so exhausted the other dog (who had become too much of a demanding couch potato, which is also why she was needed) that the evenings really are, well, more peaceful.

And only a few orchids have suffered only broken leaves!

The pecking order is being established- each cat has given her 1 good clawless smack (you see, they grew up with dogs, so this is their 4th), Yogi has learned that she will protect her food, and she has learned that Yogi will protect his tennis balls (all other toys are open to negotiation).

And I have (re)learned how those soft brown puppy eyes can get you to do almost anything; that an extra mouth to feed (and buys toys, leashes, beds, etc etc for) ain't cheap; and that it really is wonderful fun to have a clumsy, silly, lovable, 'I'll follow you anywhere' companion right at your side.

And she really does occupy the other dog, so I don't have to ;)

Carolyn

• clintdawley
    17 years ago

Gosh,

Now that Madonna song is running through my head:

"Vende garanam caranaravende, sundarsita, swatma.."

You need another dog named Ashtangi now ;)

• picotee_sofl
    17 years ago

She's dawggone cute, Carolyn. I see the kitties have initiated her. Hope she's a quick learner or the next ones might not be clawless.

Laura - ever consider writing a column? You could give Dave Barry a good run. You always crack me up. :>)

Marci