Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clairewags

Since Our Conversation Side is Slow....

clairewags
17 years ago

Go check out the Conversation side at the Rose Forum. There is fur flying over there boy. People getting Disneyed left and right, mean posts, posts getting pulled daily. I think they are going to need one person just to monitor that one forum. It's like reading a soap opera script, I don't even go over there to read about roses. I just go over for the fights.

But you guys could talk to me too. Right here if you wanted. :) My garden is getting huge! The tomatoes stand almost as tall as I do, I have cauliflower and my hot peppers are bearing fruit! Hooray! I read a recipe for Stuffed Roasted Tomatoes in the paper the other day that sounds wonderful. The toms get stuffed with a feta/pine nut (and some other stuff) mixture and then baked. Oh and I planted corn. I've never done that, but the corn is gettin nice and big. I can't wait!

Comments (28)

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Mmmmm....tomatoes. I love tomatoes. So do my chipmunks apparently.

And drama! I'll have to check out the crazy rosarians. Maybe I'll tell them what I think of roses as landscape plants. That oughta get some spittle worked up.

• clairewags
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OMG. Shades, I can't let you do it! Those people are ruthless!

The post that made me start this thread got pulled. One person posted using a person's name in the subject line and then called that person a "female dog" and told her to stay the h*ll off her posts. Good times, good times.

I wish death on your chippies. My garden is raised and fenced in and I have no damage thus far.

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

I went over there briefly and didn't see any drama, though I didn't look too briefly. A female dog? I love my friend's female dog. I wonder what the problem is.

Yeah, the chips are a drag but they're so danged cute. I only have one tomato plant--a cherry type--so I put a swath of bird netting around it. apparently it wasn't tight enough at the bottom. now i wait for the next bunch to get ripe so maybe i'll get to eat one. tomato that is. chippies are too much skinning for too little meat.

• clairewags
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The conversation side was cleaned up. Posts were removed. The forum side still has a big to do over a mistake a woman made with a rose vendor. Eventually she gets accused of being a troll.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

Dang!! I miss all the good stuff. Why in the heck are you even looking at the Rose place? You're not one of those people, are you? I don't think there's a flower I like less. Well, maybe a paph.

Where you been anyway?

There must be someone over here we can start calling a tramp, or troll, or something?

K

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Now wait a minute...I'm a troll....but of course in Michiganese, that means someone who lives below the bridge (Mackinac of course), the opposite of a Yooper (someone from the Upper Peninsula also known affectionately as the U.P. sometimes pronounced as "Yoop."

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

I don't know if we have any real trolls, but what K just said definitely makes him a blasphemer.

Incidentally, that Arisaema costatum you sent me bloomed this summer and looked very, very cool with it's nasty long spadix.

A woman made a mistake with a rose vendor? Is it like the orchid people who e.g. place a big order most of it comes dead or dying and is infested with ball pythons and they go on a forum to solicit people's opinions as to whether or not they should contact the vendor? Really. That's a tough decision to make.

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Oh. Good. Grief.

It's a little slow at work so I checked out the pair of threads I think you're talking about. Not a Troll. A Drama Queen. It's a tossup which is worse. Clearly someone thrives on being a victim even to the extent of posting the requisite "Good-bye Cruel Forum!" thread. We should talk her into growing orchids so we can get some of that over here. :P

• clairewags
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Exactly what I was talking about. Anytime a post is about getting poor service from a vendor that person gets attacked. And I mean the kind of attack that would involve spitting and hair pulling if they were in person instead of a forum.

Kevin you know where I've been. And I am a rose person- I love them. But I grow some weird looking roses you might like, you tramp.

• varmint
    17 years ago

It's been so boring over here since I was accused of being a racist and went into semi retirement. That's why we're all wandering off to other forums.

If you want to see something odd, the herbalism forum has a thread on apple cider vinegar for weight loss that had been running since 2000. It looks like it finally hit 150 (although they didn't get the message at the end that it maxed out). You want to talk about scary forum dictators. There are a couple of people who live on that forum and basically made sure they posted something to that thread every couple of months. Oddly entertaining stuff!

I don't lurk on the rose forum very often but it seems like it can get pretty crazy over there. But then again, anyone can grow a rose, it takes real talent to grow an orchid. It's probably like the wild west over there. Everyone staking a claim to there little piece of forum real estate.

Hmmm. People and their "goodbye cruel forum" posts. I prefer to post that I am angry, offended, have my feelings hurt and I am going to lurk and lurk and lurk! It tends to sound a little predatory. Makes people nervous. I like it better. lol!!

-Mimi

• clairewags
    Original Author
    17 years ago

MIMI!!!!! Hey! Good to see you again. :)

*sigh* The rose people. I like some of the conversations, but lately those are the ones that are getting pulled. Really, the forum side holds no information for me anymore.

The soil & worm composting folks are interesting. :)

• varmint
    17 years ago

Thanks Claire,
    I have been slowly seeping back into the forum. I love to take pix of my little cuties and haven't done it in awhile. Took a buncha pictures last week and tossed 'em on the gallery. That made me very happy. Funny how such a simple thing can be so pleasing!!

Anyone who obsesses over soil and worms must be interesting. They must be very earthy people, hehehe!!

-Mimi

• arthurm
    17 years ago

Mimi, "anyone can grow a rose". That is a bit of a sweeping statement. There are some us that would like to grow roses that look like those grown in "better" climates.
    Of course, with lots and lots of spraying of this and that i might be able to keep the beastly things alive and of all the ones i've planted only one has lived and it is 34 years old. It is a tall climbing rose (dark red) with a politically incorrect name.
    Not even going to type its name, but anyway Roses are like Miltoniopsis. In the too hard basket.
    Of course, in the soil gardening department, you get the lab coat people too. They test the PH of their soil. Cannot be bothered. with that hocus pocus.

• varmint
    17 years ago

Isn't it amazing how the P.C. police haven't gone through and renamed all of the plants with politically incorrect common names. We just ran across a cymbidium with a politically incorrect name at the orchid fair. The name would have been cute in a different era.

Sorry Arthur. I tend to make sweeping generalizations without even trying. It gets me in trouble all of the time. (I have no problem growing Roses, anyway...)

-Mimi

• clairewags
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think anyone can grow a rose. You just gotta pick one that works in your climate. Now, there are roses you may WANT to grow and can't but that is a whole other story.

Has anyone lurked in the 'Hot Topic' forum?

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Well...I know a lot of climates which are downright inhospitable to roses! or soils which are PITAs. Take my clay for example...PLEASE! I just came in after trying to get weeds out of my garden and snarling because we got so much rain in a nasty storm yesterday that I can't dig because the soil is too heavy and I'd compress it even further....and I have a ton of stuff to plant...I pulled weeds until my hands hurt and the sweat was falling into my eyes...Ya know...I'm a plant addict...a cotton, pickin plant addict...be it a house plant or a dirt plant...and yes, I bought 26 different kinds of roses this year...from hybrid teas, to species, to Austins....it should be interesting next year! In the mean time, I'm picking Jap. beetles off ALL my plants.... thanks for the vent space....funny, I've never seen a rose rant...but I may just not be there when they are happening...I usually lurk on the heirloom forum....

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

Sorry Shady - I was just trying to stir up trouble. Glad to hear about the costatum. Your Amorphs (now mine) are doing their little tree thing right now. Love 'em.

Claire - I actually do have one rose - a Wm Baffin. I wanted something with thorns to keep the kids away from my fence. Good grief that thing is tough. I don't water it. Don't fertilze it. It burned to the ground a couple of years ago and it's regrown to around 7 feet already. I just love to watch the little monsters grab the canes when they want to rip the flowers off. Pure joy, pure joy............

K

• varmint
    17 years ago

How did your rose bush burn to the ground? Did the little monsters try to get rid of it so that they could play in your yard?

I just saw a movie on cable last night called 'Intermission'. It was an Irish film. The film contained the most evil kid character in a non-horror movie. The kid must have been around 10 and kept himself entertained by throwing rocks through peoples windshields to watch them crash their cars (and buses). Colin Farrell had his real irish accent. I had a hard time understanding any of his dialogue. I know I am making it sound bad, but it was a really good film.

-Mimi

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

Mimi

One hot, dry Saturday afternoon (we hadn't had rain in weeks) I was sitting at home and realized those fire truck sirens sounded very close. Looked outside and my fence and rose were on fire. The nice firemen were hosing it all down. As far as I could figure, someone tossed a cig butt into the dry, pine needle mulch I use around the rose. Burned it to the ground.

Thanks for the movie tip. I'm going to check it out on Netflix. Could have it by Saturday if they have it. Even if I can't understand it, I guess I could spend an evening looking at Colin Farrell.

K

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

Got it!!

• michigoose
    17 years ago

wow...I just joined netflix tonight....but I thought it took at least a day to get it.....You've got some special fingers Kev!

Anyone have recommendations? :)

• arthurm
    17 years ago

Who has got time to watch movies? The Dragon woman wants to go and see the latest Johhny Depp epic. Cannot seem to get around to it. Probably spelt his name wrong and it will be as corny as kellogs.
    Mimi, are you a seamstress, own a candle, have TB and lost your Keys lately?
    Every time i see your name. I think of the heroine in BAZs epic cheap production. (She) Cheryl Barker was just gorgeous. Sigh.
    Don't know who Cheryl is? Ditto for Colin Farrell.
    Getting back to the topic. I thought roses needed and loved clay soil.

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

Roses hard to grow in clay soil? Hahahahahaha.

Every summer I get sick of the Jap Beetles eating them and I mow them down. A month later the Jap Beetles are gone and the roses come back.

The problem with the rose forum (not that I've visited it, but let's make generalizations for the sake of a new argument), it's a bunch of old biddies atrophying in all the wrong places.

L

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

Guess I should have said "Ordered It". Should have it Saturday.

Movies? Here's a few I really liked:
    28 Days Later
    The New World - really, really, really good
    Green Street Holliagans - you might not like this one
    Walk the Line - saw that last night. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

We went with Blockbuster online because at the time it was less expensive than Netflix at the time. Now that they've raised their rates to the same as Netflix I don't mind since I can return movies to the store on the way to work and they get counted as checked in a day or two faster. Also, I get coupons for a couple of "free" store rentals each month. Still, being summer I'm not renting as many. Mostly I'm getting old comedy series, e.g. Kids in the Hall and Strangers With Candy and special interest documentaries like The God Who Wasn't There and Walking with Prehistoric Beasts, cable stuff I don't get like Penn & Teller's BS and of course a lot of mainstream movies.

I agree about Walk the Line. Quite good but seemed much like Ray. (We tend to get Academy Award nominees/winners for the few months after the ceremonies) And as for 28 Days Later, that was fun to watch with my epidemiologist. We laughed our butts off.

Atrophying biddies. That's funny! What is it about fussy, ugly flowers that draws that crowd?

• clairewags
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I really liked the new Superman movie. The no name guy they got to do 'Superman' is very Christopher Reeve. I'm glad they didn't screw it up like "Batman".

DH and I watched something on HBO last night called "Boffo! The Worst Movies in Cinema History" (or something like that). Some big name actors and studio producers talk about movies they thought were going to flop and didn't and ones that did. Richard Dreyfuss said he want on a TV show after he finished Jaws and said it wasn't going to be a big hit. They talk about Titanic- if you remember the media was saying it was a flop before it was even done, it was going to be the most expensive disaster ever. It was very interesting.

• clairewags
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The biddies were named as 'church ladies' on the 'ratting us out' post on the rose forum. And one of the rats came forward "Yes, I am one of the church ladies and I do report posts, but I feel that being called a 'rat' is uncalled for" kind of thing. It was hilarious!

Those old broads really love that stuffy 'English Garden' thing and they're not going to let that young racy crowd talk about their naughty bits.

• Judybird2014
    17 years ago

we like it naughty over here~
    hey guys, I started a new thread about movies to rent, pls look at it and advise if seen..
    thx ever so much;-)