Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbarry_gw

Movie buffs: Donnie Darko

cbarry
15 years ago

Since 'Mad World' is just a favorite song of mine, I rented and watched Donnie Darko Fri night. Good movie, surprise ending. I'm going to have to watch it again, knowing what I now know.

What say you, movie buffs?

Carolyn

Comments (34)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

I'm desperate for movie suggestions, so checked this one out, added it at the top of my Netflix list. Should have it this week.

Now did you see Donnie Darko or Donnie Darko: The Directors Cut? The first kind of got panned by Ebert. The directors cut got good reviews. I ordered the second one.

• lunaticvulpine
    15 years ago

both are good, odd story line, but really it's one of those movies i can watch often.

Mad World is a great song too 0_o

• Driftless Roots
    15 years ago

Weird. I responded to this post a couple of days ago but it didn't seem to make it. I said:

I loved the movie but didn't care much for the Director's Cut. It tried to hard to explain stuff. The original leaves more work to the imagination of the viewer.

• Driftless Roots
    15 years ago

And now I've realized I probably did post before but it was lost in a different time stream.........*looks up nervously*

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Yes, it's posted over on the Tomato Forum.

• cbarry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have the Director's Cur from Blockbuster. I was in there, and on a hope I went to the archives, and there it was!

But where is the too much explaining? I think I need that. I enjoyed the movie, but know that I didn't really get it.

So since I've never watched a DVD on my laptop, and my laptop is my new best friend, I'm about to go back to where I just left off...which is where Donnie comes to to some house damage...

Carolyn

• cbarry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, I just finished round 2 and I can't believe that I actually ever watched this movie the 1st time (must have been something else that I saw!).

Oh! Kev! just wait!

I have it for a week I think, so I *have to* watch it again, now that I really just saw it for the 1st time.

Fabulous, just fabulous!

Carolyn

• xmpraedicta
    15 years ago

I've been meaning to see this one too; madworld is one of my favorite songs too, and I love the Gary Jules version, which I understand is in the song :)

• chryss
    15 years ago

Okay. I put it on top of my list. Just DID watch 'Donnie Brasco' which was a GOOD flik !! I like Johnny Depp !! Watched 'Chronicles of Riddick' which was okay. 'Much Ado About Nothing' is self explanatory unless you like to watch a flik where english is a foreign language !! Boring to the point of fast forwarding through parts of it ! 'Notes on a Scandal' was well acted by both Cate Blanchett and Judy Dench but the plot was nasty and twisted !!

C-

• Driftless Roots
    15 years ago

Oh, Notes on a Scandal was BRUTAL! I loved it, though.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

OK, saw D Darko last night.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm.............

Wasn't bored...
    Didn't hate it...
    Jake G sure was a fine actor even as a young thing.
    I'm still not sure what the point of the whole movie was.
    What did I not get?

K

• chryss
    15 years ago

Is anyone here over 21 ?? That movie didn't even make it to the 'D' list !!! Unless, of course, you're still pubescent or PRE- pubescent !! What is this forum, the Teen News Movie Reviews ???

Dull, boring, no plot, badly done bit parts. Watched it through to the end ONLY because I was expecting something GOOD would come out of this RECOMMENDED flik !! You peoples' movie taste SUCKS !!! You must be adolescents !!

C-

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Chryss, do you talk face to face to people like that? No wonder they set up the posee over on the photo gallery. Love the way these posee's form and everyone mounts their horse. Not that i'm excusing the behaviour over on the gallery.

We cannot all have the same tastes, it would be a boring world if we did.

Am , i going to see Donnie Darko. No way. Not my cup of tea.

PS, I'm 85.

• highjack
    15 years ago

Whose behaviour, the possee or the ranter?

Brooke

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Well, I'm just a bit over 21
    I think Carolyn maybe turned 21 recently
    Shady might be a bit shy of 21, but he's very mature for his age.
    Calvin is a total old coot.
    Arthurm might be of legal age, but we're not sure.

• cbarry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

21? Yup, Kev's right, I think I saw 21 recently. But I have to go check the ID card that I use to get into clubs and buy booze to be sure.

As for Donnie Darko...maybe a 2nd viewing would help? Seriously, that's how I felt the 1st time, but the 2nd time, it all came together. I'm going to be a spoiler here, so stop reading if you don't want to know....

It's about time travel and true love.

That young girl who befriended Donnie without questioning his oddities, is killed when the car hits her which is driven by friends at the party at Donnie's house. One of the people in that car was dressed as an evil bunny (remember it was Halloween) who later became 'Frank' to Donnie. All throughout the movie there were references to time travel, and the book that Noah Wylie gave to Donnie was written by Roberta Sparrow, aka 'Grandma Death', and was about how to travel through time.

Now, remember how Mom and the sister went traveling for the cheerleading contest? And they were in the airplane that lost the engine? *They probably died even though they didn't specifically show that in the movie*. Remember the engine that crashed into the house?

Donnie has been reading this book by Grandma Death (remember she whispered something to him?). Remember the dream early on when Frank tells Donnie how much time he has left? that was Donnie's vision (using the rabbit as the messenger, that he saw when his love is killed). Donnie's inner mind warning him. That saved him, because he was out of the house when the engine fell the 1st time.

Donnie, after his love is killed, time travels back to save her. But the only way that he can do this is to sacrifice himself. And while the movie didn't make it clear, I was left with the sense that his mother and younger sister were killed the 1st time around.

In Donnie's mind (which is what we see) a lot of things blend together - Frank is the biggest oddity, and it's not a linear timeline (uh, because of the whole time travel thing).

I get 1 free old movie/month with my blockbuster card, so this is going to be it for a while.

It's a venture into the mind of this troubled young man, so we see things through his perception, and he meets someone who befriends him unquestionably as a girlfriend, not just a friend, and then she is killed. He knows how to fix this and he does. When she denies him at the end, it's because he made sure that they never met.

See, this is why I don't get involved in all this movie discussions over here! I get so involved!

Anyway, watch it again.

Carolyn

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Thanks Carolyn. Now I get it. I guess I didn't miss as much as I thought I did. Maybe I was trying to see something that wasn't there. In any case, I normally don't watch movies like this, so my mind was a bit rusty or something.

I still believe 2001: A Space Odyssey was just plain stupid. Won't watch it again for anything.

• cbarry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Kev, really DD lit me up like no movie has in a long tine.

No offense, but 2001: A Space Odyssey should be on my list, since I think I only saw parts of yrs ago (when I was a toddler).

Don't see enough movie movies to make Netflix worth my $$

c.

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Brooke, both!

I thought possee was the correct spelling, but my spell check says posse. Strange!

Tastes do vary a lot in science fiction. My favourite is Blade Runner. I tend not to like the types with fairies and vampires.

• chryss
    15 years ago

Thanks, Carolyn, that really was a good explanation. I don't like movies that NEED explaining. If I wanted an explanation, I'd read a book !! That movie was WAY TOO COMPLICATED, or just too lacking, in its plot. Not a problem if you still can, or WANT to, get into a hormone rampant teenager's mind ! Geez, don't get me wrong, I remember TOO WELL, which is why I don't care to be re-exposed while involved in a pleasure/relaxing activity ! It has always amazed me how anyone EVER made it out of pubescence ALIVE !!! If DD WAS done from a book the director butchered it ! Left too much to assumption or, like I said, the ability and/or desire to delve into a teen brain.

Yes, arthurm, I talk face to face that way and I don't come off as a ranter because I'm rational, logical, NOT screaming, and usually conversing with same. Yes, the world sure would be boring !

achenelf, if 2001 is the one I think it is, it WAS a wierd movie in its heyday !! Mostly good new high-tech cinematic tricks but the ending stranged out, or was that what I smoked ?? LOL !!!

I MAKE NetFlix LOSE MONEY !!! Just checked and have seen (not counting separate purchases or rewatches of my own collection) 373 flix since april 2007. That averages me at about 6 a week, which means $20/month for approx 25 movies ! I LIKE to watch at least one-a-day !

OKAY !! I forgive all you teen loving people for the recommendation of Donnie Dumbo !! How about recommendations in any other genera ??

Chryss

• cbarry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chryss,

All I can say right now is that in trying to respond to your rant, nothing that I have typed is worthy of being permanently online.

Too bad that you are so anti youth...don't you know that we are the ones who will be responsible for your care when you are aged and need it?

And I for one, will make you watch 'Donnie Darko' over and over and over....

Carolyn

• mrbreeze
    15 years ago

I assume you meant genre and not genera, but since you said genera, I will recommend the following:

Angraecum
    Aerangis
    Aeranthes
    Jumellea
    Sobenikoffia
    Neobathiea
    Oenia

Hope you enjoy !!!!! These are GREAT ORCHIDS!!!! LOL!!!

Mr Bryyzz

• pcan-z9
    15 years ago

It is a mystery why you felt the need to bring up the gallery thread again, Arthur. Sleeping dogs, my friend. You speak here, on the "dark side", as if you are in a secluded corner, hidden away, where no one else can hear, or see.

It seems to me you are chastising "both" the "ranter" and the "posse" to the exclusion of yourself. But, I wonder, what color was the high "horse" you rode in on, Arthur.

You take yourself way to seriously. You are in no position to condemn, or excuse.

Pat

• Driftless Roots
    15 years ago

One of my literature professors once defined poetry as something that "creates strangeness." I like that definition and so when I say something is poetic that's what I mean, not that it has a discernible meter and rhyme scheme. Although, I do enjoy a good limerick! For me DD falls into the category of poetics. Sometimes, and certainly not every time, I enjoy a movie that leaves enough space for me to use my imagination. Maybe that's why I enjoy Eraserhead. Mulholland Drive, on the other hand, lost me completely. Maybe I wasn't in the right mood. But when I read an explanation of it online it made perfect sense. And then there's The Cremaster Cycle.

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Pat, thank you for your comments.
    It is great to see that the dark side is showing a bit of life.

• pcan-z9
    15 years ago

As always, Arthur, you are quite welcome.
    Anytime.....

• chryss
    15 years ago

Carolyn, sigh. . . . ! Maybe it IS just because you're young that you don't know how or have the experience to read between the lines, ESPECIALLY when the ONLY mode of communication IS LINES !! Geez, I guess you missed my compliment because the audio INFLECTION wasn't there ! I'm also guessing that anything over 2 lines is a rant to you youngsters !! HEY !! I'm FARTHEST from anti-young that you can get !! Speaking of which, I OWN American Pie 1 & 2, and American Wedding ! Now THAT'S a TRUE LOVE story !!! How about American Beauty ?!! There's ANOTHER true love story !! They're a beautiful couple ! The youngsters, I mean ! I love "chick flix" !! I DO like them more true to life like Last of the Mohicans ! A GREAT love story !! True Romance, a r-e-a-l love story !

Aww oh, now Carolyn, this is a D-I-S-C-U-S-S-I-O-N not a rant. Even if it is more than 2 lines I hope it doesn't surpass your attention span !!! LOL !!!! BTW, you might be able to sell your aged care sado-fantasy to Walt Disney because I'm the ONLY ONE responsible for myself.

Mrbreeze, yeah, after I sent it I realized I had (still HAVE !) orchids on the brain, hence gerera !! Did you make up those last 2 ?? My book has Oeniella, and Neobenthamia.

Shady, don't you mean Mulholland Falls ? with Nick Nolte, Michael Madsen, Melanie Griffith, and John Malkovitch ?? I own and LOVE that flik !!

Arthurm, I, too, love Blade Runner but NetFlix can't seem to get it. Matrix is my all time sci-fi favorite !!

C-

• cbarry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chryss -

I don't have my glasses on, so everything is really blurry (these old eyes!)

I s'pose that 'rant' really was a bad choice of words for me (please accept my apologies). And I did get the compliment, at one point I thanked you, but to my chagrin, I must have deleted it (damn these arthritic fingers!)

You're absolutely right - without the face to face, you can only try to interpret emotion from these flat typed words. (why-o-why do you young'uns favor this 'texting'?!)

So how old am I?
    ;) Carolyn

• cbarry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It occurred to me that Chryss doesn't really know me, so I asked him to guess my age and that's just not fair. I've been round here for quite a while, but not so much recently, so a bunch of you know me, but Chryss doesn't.

And since I started this thread, I can hijack it. Maybe we should all play a game, "Guess My Age' (remember it takes 100? 150? messages to close a thread).

So how old am I?
    - When I drive, most people around me are going the wrong speed.
    - Gas is way too expensive, but I have to pay it.
    - One of my favorite movies is 'The Graduate'. Don't even start with the older woman jokes (OK, g'head, I opened it up).
    - If we let the 'industry' get away with crap like that 300 spartans movie, who can I read about in 'People'?!
    - Even if I couldn't break all my fingernails by weeding without my gloves, I'd die if I had to watch soaps...
    - THIS IS SHARK WEEK!!!
    - I must have the newest tech toy out there. And I know how to use it, operate it, take it apart, mostly put it back together, return it for a refund ;)
    - DH and I have pets (2 cats, 2 dogs M&F of each - there must be balance in the universe)
    - I drive a ... nah, too much information

So how old am I?
    Carolyn

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Carolyn,

The secrets out. You're 29 and you might as well admit it. Don't worry, the body will still work pretty well until your 31 or so. After that, all bets are off.

• cbarry
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I ain't admitin' nothin'.

Kev's a big fat liar.

• chryss
    15 years ago

Hey, Carolyn, you're 39 like me and Jack Benny ! . . . . oops ! . . . gave myself away there did I ? :D

Hey hey, was 'Borat' rec'd on this thread ? Fell asleep to the start of it last night and was rolling on the floor through most of it !!!!!!

C-

• clintdawley
    15 years ago

Carolyn,

Tori Amos has an awesome version of "Mad World"..better than the original..ya gotta hear it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mad World

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

all that attention to the Doomsday threads!