Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clintdawley

New Season of Project Runway Tonight!

clintdawley
17 years ago

Okay all you fashionistas..

Tonight begins the third season of Project Runway. Gosh, don't you just love the drama? All those fairies and their lemon chiffon? Nasty insecure Virginia seamstresses? Slobs that design punk trash? Men who wear more makeup than women? Cute straight boy bum?

Any comments?

Comments (86)

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Y'know what? I was just conversing with a fellow fan and just realized something. Last night at some point, I don't remember exactly, there was a break in the show and they played one of those promo things. I could swear it was about an upcoming episode because I wasn't recognizing some things. But then I thought it couldn't be because they showed Malan. You don't think they'd bring him back, do you? I'd be glad if they did. That would be so cool. Another chance to show mumsy what he's made of!!!!!!!!!

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

YESYESYES!

Malan to replace Keith. I didn't see that--but I'm hoping!

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

I'll call Heidi and ask her if she can do that. I also have been meaning to ask her when Michael Kors is going to be back on. The stitches must be out by now and I'm sure Collier Strong can touch up any untoward results should it be necessary.

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Michael Kors will be back next week. I saw him in the teaser... :)

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

I just got back from a camping trip last night and had to catch this week's episode in rerun.

My little Bradley-Wadley is gone. Dag! All he needed was some discipline. Yeah, I coulda whipped him into shape but quick. Just needed a daddy. Bad.

The comment about the Tressemee (sp?) gel cracked me up.

Soon I'll look at the additional "exit interview" video on the web site but for now it's just too painful.

And why am I the only one I've talked to so far that realized Kayne's Marilyn Monroe creation needed a bit in the foundation garment department? Or were those pads? Seriously, the only gal I've seem with more junk in the trunk is my neighbor that deals in antique glassware.

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

I realize I'm just talking to myself here, but somebody's got to say it.

Allison was screwed.

Sure her dress was unflattering, but at least you could see that she had something going on there. That monstrosity of Vincent's should have gotten him booted for real but I guess he just makes good TV. It's apparent Laura was hip to that fact from the little squabble that was going on backstage. The producers/judges just lost some credibility in my important eyes.

And I hate that I liked Bucketnecktattoo's green dress.

• kwmackdog
    17 years ago

i had a chance to see a few episodes and last nights show was disconcerting. i don't think the problem was allison or vincent ( although his dress was bizarre in a bad way) but the fact that they couldn't boot kayne even though his dress was pitiful smacks of favoritism.
    i thought the neck tatoo 's dress was the most runwaylike, just me.
    jay winner of the first season is a hometown boy so the show has legs for me.;)

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I did like Neck Tat's dress. I'm glad Michael Kors called him on the "ugly pretty" fact. Ugly pretty is not very mainstream..but haute couture. Neck Tat can't make prete-a-porte worth crap, I'd bet.

On the other hand, Laura is a master of prete-a-porte, but I still haven't seen her innovative and creative sign. Sure she's a good tailor, but so was Daniel..not Daniel V..but the other one that was on the first two seasons.

I was so upset when Allison got booted. I thought she showed potential and at least she was nice to look at.

Mr. Barbie Doll is showing some improvement. I don't know what it is..but he annoys me. I think it's his whiny voice. I mean, cut his head off and he'd make a good date.

Kane smacks of the big hair look too much for me. I don't know what it is, but I bet that he makes his own dresses for every drag show he does. I doubt his favorite looks would fly in Paris or in Milan. Flash and trash a la Jay McCarroll.

Angela is coming around. Maybe a little Michael and Laura rubbed off on her a couple of weeks ago...

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

"cut his head off and he'd make a good date"

You read my mind again.

Ya think Kane does drag? I guess with those cheekbones it would be a crime not to.

Laura's going to continue to emerge as consistent and reliable and it's going to evolve into criticism for being "one note"

I have to remind myself there needs to be more than a touch of haute in this show. I'm pretty much drawn to rtw since that's all I'll be able to afford. Although I did get my sewing machine overhauled recently. (Angela must have been using it, the bobbin thread kept tangling) Maybe I'll whip up some cutting-edge menswear. Look for me in season four.

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay, fashionistas..Didn't you just LOVE last's night's challenge?

Jeffrey should have walked. They kept him just so there would be tension between him and Angela (the main ingredient in any reality show). Mr. Barbie doll's look could have been more interesting...the judges got sick of being bored to tears.

Kudos to Vincent. Uli's mom looked so classy..like she was going to a charity fundraiser or a night at the symphony...

• kwmackdog
    17 years ago

did get to see the show, just to say angela's mom was a bit constricted, neh? her self esteem needs a bump. Mr. barbie just never had to deal with a plus sized lady... wait there might be a market for that... a plus sized barbie! in your future. word!

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

The host of our viewing group this week made a good point: that Bucketneck had the job of making something that reflected his style that looked good on the client. We had a bit of a discussion as to whether the client's satisfaction had played into any previous decisions and I think it did (USPS Challenge, for example.) The thing is that he's just a complete jerk. See analysis at http://blogher.org/node/9232 and remember the name he called Angela's mom. Real professional. That can't just all be editing and production. And if he's got a problem that he can't be all rock-and-roll every episode he's clearly not watched the previous two seasons. I'm completely unimpressed with a designer in ANY medium or industry who looks at any challenge they haven't chosen themself and just whines that it's going to be hard. My respect goes to the ones who approach it as interesting and having the potential of pushing their boundaries and testing their skills.

Too bad sweet Robert is gone, but he failed to not bore once again. Maybe he'll lose some weight for the reunion show.

I hate that I liked Vincent's dress. Uli's mom was a good model, too.

Does anyone think Michael should have won but didn't just because he's won the previous two? I wouldn't be surprised if that had come up in the off-camera judging discussion.

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No Michael's T-shirt dress was nice, but the belt was distracting and the dress was simple. Vincent was the clear winner. I don't think it had anything to do with winning the previous two challenges..(Remember Daniel Vosovic's run last season?)

I think Robert looked good the way he is. He doesn't need to lose weight. The attractive thing about him was his muscular body (Lord knows his voice takes off major hottie points). He didnt' have a gut or anything. (By the way, can you believe Kayne lost 110 lbs.??? No wonder he looks kind of saggy-tittied and deflated.)

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Look at his face. He's not that muscular, just has a very even distribution of fat. He's going to really have to watch that as he gets through his 30s and the hormones fade. There's a potential there to not age well.

Kayne does look a little deflated, I agree. But those cheekbones! No boycrush here, but when those emerged from the blub he must have just screamed with joy "Wow! Mommy I'm gonna be a big pageant drag queen!!"

What did Laura say about the sixth kid on the way? Something about after a while you just say there's another one, throw it on the pile? I can't believe she didn't somewhat choreograph her big news delivery. National television with her mom and Tim "Yummy" Gunn and her husband didn't know yet? Too funny. I'm really warming up to her. I can't decide whether I want her to hold Bucketneck's arms and let Angela do the punching or vice versa.

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tim "Yummy" Gunn..gross. At least we could go out together as we have completely different tastes in guys...

Let "Big Red" punch him. I'm sure she would have more pent up aggression to get out.

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Oh, I don't know. I'm sure there's plenty of taste overlap.

I love it! I'm going to refer to her as Big Red from now on!

I may have to miss the show next week. I wonder what the twist is going to be. If it's the caged death match I'll be so disappointed to miss it!

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay...

The skinny:

The brought Angela back to torture Jeffrey and Vincent back to torture the rest of us... *GRIN*

Jeffrey should have left last night, not Kayne.

The black and white cocktail dress had Laura's name written on it from the beginning. Uli and Jeffrey better become more than a one-note song if she/he doesn't want to get the axe next week...

• momma_d
    17 years ago

I was so glad to see Laura finally win. Her dress was fab. I completely agree that Jeffrey should have been auf'd instead of Kayne. The only cocktail party where that fugly thing Jeffrey made would be appropriate is standing on a street corner swilling a 40 of Old English with the other working girls. Didn't Michael Kors say it reminded him of a working girl? Uli has set in sleeve issues. Can she make something that isn't a halter?

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

OK.

Today was sheer hell. Every time I peeked into this forum I had to force myself not to look at this thread.

I missed the show last night because I was at a film premier for one of those little things where I was an associate producer (hint to the wannabes: Write a check)

I only just finished watching episode 310 three minutes ago. I agree with what was said above except I thought both Kayne and Bucketneck should have gone. Those leggings said "rate card" and the back of Kayne's was Oklahoma Goth. What's Oklahoma Goth? Just look at the horrific back of Kayne's dress. Much as I'll miss him and his increasingly present pepperoni nipples, he's not final three material.

I love Laura. I know it's all in the editing but to take her from the throes of despair to the heights of a win was reality TV gold, or maybe at least aluminum.

You know they're going to keep Bucketneck for the final three just for the Wendywench/Santinosatan freak factor. So, who's going to be undeservedly aufed?

And all I keep thinking is how very downplayed Michael was during the first few episodes. (I want to see that coffee filter dress again!!!) And look where he is now.

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I also saw on a promo last night...

Heidi said, "I have a little surprise for you. We're not committed to a final three." Does that mean there might only be two finalists this season? I guess we'll have to wait and see!

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Yeah, I noticed that. Two? Four? They are really messing with the contestants this time around. Maybe they'll just keep bringing Vincent back trying to make him crack up completely.

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Maybe everyone well get to flay and scalp Vincent and Angela and make some clothing with their skin and hair as the last challenge. I'd be satisfied then...

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

...oh!

and if they run out of material they can always use Kayne's nipples and aeriolas to make a mu-mu. His boobs are bigger than a lot of my women friends'.

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

The end is near. I think I know who the winner is going to be.

Here is a link that might be useful: Project Runway Finale

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Well, what do we think is going to happen tonight? Clearly they're not going to do the usual of one out, three in, four show including the decoy. Although we do know that the remaining four did show--there were photos of one of each of their pieces in the NYT. What's the twist going to be? Are they going to weight something based on wining the challenges? That's my suspicion but I can't guess how they'll do it.

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Who knows? Every season has been a little different. I'm looking forward to the surprise tonite ;)

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay..everyone stayed..but Jeffrey deserved to go. What was with that gathering at the bottom of the milk maid skirt? That didn't say romantic to me..but BAG LADY.

Laura's dress, as usual, was classy. Uli finally stepped outside of the box--however slightly. Good for her.

I liked Michael's dress. The neckline had some issues, mostly because of the model's bony chest...a slightly curvier gal would have filled it out better, I think. I do agree that his strength isn't evening wear.

Ah, the reunion is next week..then the final. I hate to see this show go off, but then again Lost is coming back on along with some of the other shows. We'll have to wait until next summer for the new season ;(

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

I pretty much agree with what you just said. Jeffrey's skirt was just stupid looking. Heidi nailed it with the milk maid comment.

One of the designers is in big trouble. The caption under one of the photos in the NYT article hinted at one of them not showing a very good collection.

The reunion show should be good. I hope they liquor them up good beforehand. Although we'll probably never have a moment like last season's when whatshername (see how quickly these people return to nobodydom!) rambled on so aimlessly.

Favorite comment from last night: Uli's keyhole showed just a "teaspoon of skin." Priceless.

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Fuel for the fire

Read this

Here is a link that might be useful: READ THIS!!!

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Ooooo! Juicy!!! Could bucketneck be a cheat? Is he buds with Kara "freeshoes" Saun?!?!

Laura and Jeffy's mums are friends now. That just kills me. When the hugs were flying backstage last night I was wondering if he'd hug her and they cut the scene just as he was apparently going to do so. I hope it's because she pulled out a blade, grabbed him by the rock-and-roll collar and hissed "It's on now, boy. I'm going to chew you up, spit you out and beat your 4ss at this game! Don't. Eff. With. A. Redhead. Got it?" and then he started bawling.

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

i think he is a total cheat. He works from some fashion conglomerate in California, right? Hmm..

I really don't think he has a chance of winning. Remember...every reality show needs their Santino or Wendy Pepper.

If I were to give a designer advice for surviving this show, I'd tell them to be a b!tch or a b!astard...

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

One more thing...

Why doesn't Kev post to this thread any more?

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Perhaps he's risen above it all. Poor chap. I hope that never happens to me.

Yeah, he's stood out as the Wendtino Pepper with Rice from day one. (Bucketneck, not Kev. I seriously doubt Kev is a b4stard.) One of the articles said the finale was a two-parter so I guess it'll be like last year reunion on the 4th, show prep on the 11th (will there be another "additional look" kind of twist?) and then then bryant park on the 18th.

And then an empty void in the middle of the week.

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

OK, I wonder who put the books back in Keith's room if it wasn't him. I almost believe him.

Looks like they're going to delve into the Jeffrey Cheating? scandal in next week's show. Juicy!!!!

And my little Bradley-Wadley is all cleanshaven now. What a kook! Still....

The Kayne fast talking montage with Miss USA was precious.

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I MISSED IT! Darn..

I was watching the season premier of South Park.

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

you WHAT?!?!

Oh, Clint. I just don't know what to say. I used to really think rather highly of you. If you can catch the rerun this weekend maybe you'll redeem yourself in my eyes. I'm all about second chances.

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

*GRIN*..I'm sure I'll see it in rerun..

South Park was quite amusing last night--sorry you missed it. I'd be Matt and Trey's gimp anyday ;0

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

OOOH!!! The drama last night!

Jeffrey is gonna fry next week. (I'm sad to see the last episode come about.)

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Does he fry or does he not fry?!?! I thought we were going to find out last night. And that preview of him crying and people hugging him could have meant it went either way! I can't wait for next week.

Frankly I think Laura's case is weak or they would have shown more doubt-inducing footage. Pity that.

Did I tell you my watching buddy and I are getting together and making a special finale dinner? We're making skirt steaks, bowtie pasta with button mushrooms and "where the hell is my chiffon!" pie.

Laura rules. She really does.

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes. Laura could work for Donna Karan or Calvin Klein. I could also see her do cocktail dresses for Chanel and keeping Karl Lagerfeld in line.

I really do think Jeff will be Kara Saun'd. Tim Gunn was there just two weeks before the show and Jeff was SO NOT EVEN close to being done. I think when they compare the receipts to the garmets, he's done!

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Yeah, they did make it look all suspiciousy when he said he had to get his receipts "organized" or whatever it was he said. They made it look like he was taking stuff out. K'Saun, Bucketneck -- those Calyfornians. Ya can't trust 'em.

• momma_d
    17 years ago

But Bucketneck's collection was in the pics of the PR part of fashion week.........Do you think that they allowed him to show his collection without the garments in question? The perfectly sewn leather jeans and the vest Tim was looking at? Something was definitely up, though. With Uli hugging him and him crying in the teasers for the finale. Dang Calyfornians! They should know not to mess with Big Red!

Perhaps I'll cruise over to TWOP and see what they're saying...............

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

DON'T MISS THE FINALE TONIGHT!

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

I'm on pins and needles. And ibuprofen.

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

*barf*

All I can say is that Jeff's collection was good for Jeff. They all gushed about innovation, but if the clothing isn't all that pretty, what difference does it make?

Last night, the winner was clearly Uli. Laura was predictable. Michael was a disappointment.

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Yeah, Michael really dropped the ball. Laura's collection was better than I was expecting--more variety with her look than I was led to believe. Uli's was fine I guess. Michael's? Some stuff kind of was pretty. I dunno. It was just a very disappointing experience. Don't know if I'll bother with next season. They're getting too close to jumping the shark.

I hope Laura goes on to greater things or at least gets her stuff out there. Given an infinite amount of free time I'd like to go through the season and tally up the number of times people were criticized for making something that didn't look like "them" and the number of times they were criticized for making something that looked "predictable." But then I guess when you sign up for a "reality" show you're pretty much asking to be jerked around.

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My other half is refusing to watch next season. He said that with the Jay and Jeff win, those judges have no taste.

The shark was jumped.

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

My other half has scoffed at the whole season and reality tv in general but did sit in on the last half of it last night. Somehow he ended up staying up to watch Top Chef (a.k.a. Project Runway with food). I fear he'll get hooked on that excreable contribution to the world of cooking. (I see they've added Wolverine to this season's cast.)

• orchidflowerchild
    17 years ago

Hooboy... Project Runway... Hahaha, of course there's PR chatter!

Anyway, i wanted laura to win, since Michael dropped the ball. he was entirely my favourite, going in, but I think that Laura has wonderful execution, albeit within a very narrow fashion genre. She's just extremely Park Avenue and has a very hard time breaking out of that. No matter, all four of them will sell.

I hate to admit how much I liked a couple of Jeffrey's designs, though... Gah, why does the chinless wonder actually have to have talent?

-Cj

• clintdawley
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I wouldn't say that he has talent as much as he has a feeling of knowing where fashion is going.

I thought his choice of material was nasty. What girl wants to look like striped Christmas candy or cheesy polka dots?

Couture made out of cotton is just wrong.

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994