Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

How about current movies of the season?

xmpraedicta
15 years ago

So there's some chat about old movies, but how bout the ones opening this season? There are a whole bunch of flicks that have come up on the big screen recently that have been pretty fantastic. I was reminded last night what a sucker I am for pixar/disney films when I watched Wall-E. : ) I really enjoyed it, and I don't think I've seen anything this good since Finding Nemo came out all those years ago (has it been 5 years already?!). A good solid film with a good message, imo.

I also saw Journey to the Centre of the Earth...I would consider it along the same category of a moderately asmusing ride at a theme park...fun effects (I actually yelled out loud in the theatre at one point...it involved fish and a lot of sharp teeth...it was embarrassing.) but riddled with annoying gaping plot holes. A good kids movie nonetheless.

Still have to go see Dark Knight and Wanted, although...I dunno...bending bullets?

Comments (8)

• arthurm
    15 years ago

The only movie i've seen recently is Sweeny Todd with Johnny Depp.

Wonderful photography and acting, but not for all tastes with the blood and Gore.

Have bought the DVD .

• mrbreeze
    15 years ago

Saw Dark Knight last night. It was good. All the moreso for all the obvious reasons. Four out of five stars.

Wanted was also pretty good in a stylish way. It is VERY bloody, in a stylish way. The bending bullets do get a bit much. If you can sort of suspend your disbelief for it, you'll enjoy it. Three out of five stars.

I still want to see Hancock and Hellboy II.

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sweeny Todd was awesome - I was humming the songs for months after I saw the movie...now I'm dying to actually see it performed live.

Hellboy II I really am dying to see, but I haven't seen (or actually even previously heard of) Hellboy I so I'm thinking I should rent that first...

• qylliam
    15 years ago

I' dying to see hellboy2. Not that it's out now but Pan's Labarynth is also excellent (go see it). Yes you should see the first Hellboy. They're both directed by the same guy (Pan's and Hellboy).

Journey to the Centre of the earth I refuse to see because the original movie is excellent and I'm pretty sure they've wrecked it.

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Sweeny Todd is very different LIve because there is extra music sung by the Chorus. Some of the chorus sung piece(s)??? were cut from the movie with permission from Stephen Sondheim.

I've seen the musical a few times, last put on by the Australian Opera as their "token musical" This year they are doing My Fair lady as their token musical

Not a Movie, but looking forward to getting the latest series of The Wire when it becomes available.

Reading articles from the New York Times, watching The wire and other stuff from HBO, then reading about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and looking at my wallet shrink, no wonder people get distorted views about your wonderful country.Sorry for going off topic but this is after all the conversations page.

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

qylliam - I'm wondering whether this is actually a remake of hte original or not....is the original based on the book? because this one is not...it talks about the book, but it's definitely not the story the book tells!

Loved pans labyrinth - I'm excited for HB2 because it's the same director.

Arthur - I went and youtubed most of the actual Sweeney Todd musical (the one with Angela Lansbury) and it was fantastic...the movie was definitely very different...good in it's own way but definitely different. :)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Someone out here recommended Hellboy last year. Watched it and hated it to death. Just not my thing I guess. They were talking about Hellboy II on a radio station I listen to and even those who loved HB thought HB II was a total flop.

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bummer - well maybe it's a 'wait to rent' movie instead

I saw 2 sci-fi flicks yesterday..both pretty old, I think. One was a French movie called "Chrysalis"...plot was convoluted but I enjoyed the angles they used to capture scenes...and seeing futuristic Paris was pretty awesome too. Also saw Equilibrium, with Christian Bale...I thought it was decent. I'm a sucker for books and movies about dystopias (V for Vendetta, brave new world etc..)...and come on..Christian Bale was in it. Still, it seemed a little too contrived for my tastes.

Rewatched the Matrix today. I love it, and I love the great lines in it.

-old coot