Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Leave it to the Mexicans.

orchidnick
13 years ago

The other day I needed a new battery for my Dodge Caravan. Off to Auto Zone I go where I usually buy my car stuff. The guy quoted me $75 for their cheapest one, then there were much more expensive models for the better people.

I thought that was way too much, if I want to pay $75 or up I can go anywhere, I expected a bargain from the Auto Zone which this certainly was not. Then he charged me $1.28 for the Snickers bar (regular size) I was munching on to completely make my day. I left fuming and ran into a Mexican outside who was cussing out his car for what ever reason. I know this guy. I told him about the battery and then asked him:

"Where do Mexicans go when they need a battery?" He laughed and told me "Ramirez Electrical", about 4 blocks from where we were. I went over there and told the guy behind the much used counter top I needed a battery. "$20" he said without skipping a beat. "You don't even know what car I'm driving or what level quality I want", I said. "I saw the car you were driving and we have only one level of quality" was his retort as he left the room, came back with a battery and slammed it on the counter top. It looked used. Here is the deal:

They rebuild batteries and sell them for $20, all sizes, 1 year warranty. I asked him how long it realistically would last, his response: "2 to 3 years, then you give me another $20 and get a new one." I had to think about this for a minute and it made sense, gave him a 20 dollar bill and he put the battery in my car in about 3 minutes, making off with my old one which they will rebuild.

Then he handed me a business card on which he wrote the date. "That's your warranty" he said, "bring the card back if you have a problem within a year, I'll give you another battery. Adios!"

I had to laugh to myself on the way out the door, the simplicity of it is beautiful. No paperwork, no sales tax, no sales pitch, no choices, just fast, straight forward work which solves the immediate problem inexpensively and I will lay odds that his battery will last a while. By the way, there was no computer or cash register in his office, the money went straight into his pocket. I wish there were more people like that, this experience took me back to a simpler place in time.

Nick

Comments (8)

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

Yeah, I remember the simpler times....when I rigged my '62 VW together with rubber bands, wire shirt hangers, pencils, etc!

--Stitz--

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Used to have a great Scout 1/2 ton truck. Broke the accelerator cable in no-man's land and was able to rig a wire from the carburetor which we pulled to make the thing take us home. It was better at accelerating than the opposite, so sudden stops were accomplished by shutting the engine off. With today's rolling computers, you could do none of that.

During my motor homing days we had a big Blue Bird which had a 150 gallon diesel fuel tank. On the way home from the desert we stopped at a repair place were we dropped of the Scout on the way in and hooked it up. As I was under the rear I noticed a leak from the fuel tank which we just filled. Small drip from the water sensor. I envisioned having to drain this and dismantle it to weld the thing. I asked the owner how you fixed something like this in Mexico. He laughed and then cracked his lunch pail and took out a banana. He and I shared the banana as he crawled under the motor home and rubbed the banana peel onto the leak. Eventually it stopped. 10 years later we sold the thing, banana peel and all. Never did get it welded.

Then I had a Mercedes which was hit by a flying piece of wood on the passenger mirror. It knocked out the glass but did little other damage. Tried to get a new glass from the Mercedes place. They will only sell you the whole mirror for close to $500!! Found a mirror glass on the after market for $35 and installed it only to find that it flopped around as a small piece of plastic broke which keeps it steady. Probably costs less than a dollar, try to convince the a---s at the Mercedes place to give you one of these. Off to Alameda street which looks like downtown Tijuana and again asked a guy there how you fix this in Mexico. He filled the cavity behind the glass with silicon gel, had me sit in the driver seat and fixed the mirror so it was perfect for me. Held it in place with some tape and told me to take the tape off the next day. Cost: $15.00. When I sold the car, I told them that the motor to change position of the mirror was not working, I imagine the face of someone trying to take that thing apart to fix it.

On the humidity issue, the most sophisticated humidifier these guys use is a garden hose.

Nick

• Ginge
    13 years ago

The stories remind me of one of ours . We were living in So. Calif. went to Ill. to pick up a show pony on the way back coming down the grade into Needles pulling the small horse trailer the brakes quit ! we slowed it down and pulled into a gas station it was about 1 Am. and 113 outside . My husband went into the station and found a fishing bobber cut it in half and used it and tape to plug a hole where a vacuum line broke .. Gin

• kwmackdog
    13 years ago

hahahha, i love the old days. a gallon of water in the trunk and an adjustable wrench,a bit of wire,a roll of duct tape in the glove box...good to go!

how about some basic knowledge of internal combustion? who has that now? *sigh*

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

kwmackdog,
    ya forgot to include at least 3 qts of oil and a funnel!

--Stitz--

• orchidnick
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My tomboy 19 year old daughter was heading to San Felipe, top of the Sea of Cortez, for some Easter break revelry (spelled debauchery) and called me in tears from her studio apartment because she had a busted bottom radiator hose. It's 11PM and we could not get a replacement. We wrapped the break with duct tape, then tight wire and more duct tape followed by more wire. You get the idea. Then with the radiator cap loose so there would be no pressure build up and 5 gallons of water in the back of the truck, she and her friend drove that thing 300 miles to Mexico without any problems.

There she got it fixed and managed to get back home without a DUI and without getting pregnant. A sucessful Easter holiday!

Nick

• westoh Z6
    13 years ago

Funnel hell, we just used a can opener and did our best to pour and 'hit the hole". Always made for nice blue smoke when you started "her" up.

I had a car way back when that I had to carry a broom stick in the trunk, so you could use it to hit the starter/solenoid when it got stuck. Let's see you do that today (Not that you would want to ;-) )

Bob

• stitzelweller
    13 years ago

Bob, the use of the funnel was optional waay back then along with a flashlight.

Sure, I had a can opener in the glove box for "multiple" uses, including late-night adventures :)

With these new-fangled engines, you NEED a long-necked funnel! BTW, I retired all of my short-necked ones years ago to use with orchids! :) I have 4 in use for orchid duty!

--Stitz--