Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sambac

What's up with the other forum?

sambac
16 years ago

Just wandered off, and hit the O*F, ran into a couple of rude posts.Nasty and rude replies as because some one wanted to know a good source for a plant, and they want $$ to post on the exchage forum. Turned me off...Will stay put here for now.....

Comments (43)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

Do you mean OSF? Took a look, but couldn't find any such posts. Maybe I looked in the wrong spot. Seems kind of odd if it is that one.

Kevin

• sambac
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yup it is OSF and the post is there. That 'particular' poster also posts here. I did not think it was fair- may be there were just teasing her.

• scott361
    16 years ago

"...maybe they were just teasing her."

It's called sophomoric sadism, at best!
    (Or , is it just a sad circle j**k?)
    Sometimes, vicious is funny, but mostly...it's just vicious!
    The Spotted Hyena have the same shrill sounding laughter, when on the hunt for a victim!
    When I quit, hunting was the "sport" of choice!

• sambac
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Never seen a 'shrilly' Hyena- sounds creepy. Seen a lot of 2 legged Hyena's, lol

• scott361
    16 years ago

Is that " 2 legged Hyena's" or two-bagger hyena's? ;~)

The Spotted Hyena is commonly called the Laughing Hyena.
    The more the prey struggles, the more shrill they get.

They always have the same vulture-like companions!
    And yes, they are creepy!:~)

• ntgerald
    16 years ago

sambac, many of them there know each other from a long time ago. they feel comfortable with talking to one another like that.

• sambac
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I love to believe so NT, may be it is a friendly place, just got turned off a little.

• greymoya
    16 years ago

Which forum is that??? I can't imagine anyone at GardenWeb being that rude-the voyeur in my wants to go peek :)

• sambac
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OSF- Orchid source forum- I guess I am giving them free publicity

• cbarry
    16 years ago

I lurk at OSF when I want a good chuckle. Which is not to criticize. I agree that they are all (mostly) very comfortable with each other, and so throw jabs. The few times that I have posted there, people were polite, friendly, and helpful. So when I say I go there for a chuckle, it is to see a heated discussion. People at other forums that I frequent are generally not that 'free' with their speech. And some threads degrade into very funny conversations. Not necessarily a bad place, just different from GW. Just like a slipper forum that I frequent - it has a totally different air than GW. I like to lurk at OSF, I regularly post at some other places.

• mrbreeze
    16 years ago

I actually spend more time on OSF these days than GW, only because, in general, they have a wider variety of amazing photos of plants that i lust after. Sometimes the 'funny' threads really are entertaining. But their ugly side is truly ugly. The way they gang up on people (like our boy Scott) is often appalling. I do enjoy the profanity though! lol It is the only forum where i can express my true feelings about the gdmfpos squirrels. :)

translation: gosh-derned, mighty-fuzzy, pesky ol' sucker

I think if you're a true orchid fanatic, you can't help spending some time there, just cuz they have the most 'experts' with the biggest and best collections. I'm against the alientation and mob mentality and hypocracy, but in the end...i'm an orchid fiend, and its a great forum for orchid fixes. Its actually been quite some time since there was a big blowup/thrashing thread there. They're overdue! :)
    -MB

• scott361
    16 years ago

Mike, I'll show you the difference between what I saw when I posted and what forum friends showed me what they saw.
    This was one of my last postings, as I tried to join in the reindeer games!
    My view:
    {{gwi:134762}}
    The view that a friend sent me at my request:
    {{gwi:134763}}
    I asked, early on, how to reduce my photos.
    Once I halfway figured out how to use my 'Paint' program, I reduced everything dramatically.
    Half of the other posted photos looked larger, to me, than mine were.
    Even the actual KB on many of the other photos was two or three times the size of mine!

Matters got even worse when I got my new camera!
    I still followed what I had been told to do.
    It didn't matter what I did, I couldn't figure out how to please everyone and when a bored classless hag baited me, I attacked her right back.
    It was completely true to form! She was applauded and I was condemed! :~(

The main group can do nothing wrong...Period!
    That other hag(The Moose voyeur), says nasty, unfunny, victim required things hourly!
    She even went after very long-term members in one of the same events that I was involved in.
    I went right back at her and was slapped by both Joe and Dale!
    Typical!
    Nothing was ever said to her and I was a troublemaker! :~(

And that closet case in Denver is schizophrentic!
    Unless they're having an in-fight, they will ignore anything that was actually said and always defend their buddies!
    I saw certain members say some of the most vile and viscious things to others and myself.
    When called on it by me, I was told that I was an unwanted trouble maker!
    The members that stay there, say nothing and just take it, are at the very best masochists!(or cowards)
    I was virtually the only one that would defend other people.
    I will say that there were many people that I liked and still do like.
    I just always found it sad that they would be silent when their voices were needed the most!:~(
    If you do nothing...you're no better than they are!
    I'd like to think that my mom raised a better person than that! :~)

• mrbreeze
    16 years ago

I do kind of regret not coming to your defense, but I have high-speed and your pics never bothered me and I was fairly new to that forum at that time and...basically I'm more of a voyeur on those situations. So far, I haven't been attacked, but i'm sure its just a matter of time.

From my observations over there, everything you said in the above post is pretty well spot-on. Mr. Sensitive makes no bones about his attitude, so nobody should expect more than what they get from him, IMO. But the moose and denver...I've been appalled at some of their responses to innocent posts from newbies. And it is NOT easy to appall me! :) I have no problem with acid wits, biting senses of humor, or people that tell it like it is...but we DO live in a society. It's not a freaking game of british bulldog, its an orchid forum!

But then again...it could have been worse. Imagine being P. Mahon or that one chick...ummm...Platinum charmer. LOL Anyway, it is what it is I guess.
    -MB

• scott361
    16 years ago

I had just got high-speed!
    Before that, the fastest speed that I've ever had was 26.4K!
    How many of the continual complainers had speeds that low?
    I never said one word about anyones photos being too large.
    Ever!

That situation with PC was the first fight that I got into.
    Yes! His postings made my eyes and ears bleed!
    It was some of the worst spelling and grammar that I've ever seen. (shudder...);~)
    He was, also, just a silly little effeminate boy and didn't deserve the horrible treatment that he got.
    Watching "adults" gang up on a child was revolting!
    That's something to be really proud of! :~(
    It showed the true level of class and honor that I, later, came to expect. :~(
    Rabbit sex jokes??
    Now that's real class!

I only came to his defense when the fullfledged lies and distortions of what had actually been said started being taken as fact!
    The "gang" were automatically vetted as being truthful.
    No one bothered to check what had actually been said and by whom!
    There were several different attack threads going on and a lot could be(and was) missed if one wasn't careful.
    He was not of the "gang", so he was a lier!
    Period!
    I posted the actual facts and a virtual transcript.
    Suddenly, he was made out to be a stalker and all around bad guy because he made public a PM.
    I've noticed that many of the "group" will post PM's when it's convenient for them!
    That self-loathing closet case, for example!

That whole time, all I heard was silence!
    (I don't think you were there yet, for the start of it.
    I could be wrong, it's blurry!)
    I got several PM's of private support and at least one member quit in protest.
    I made friends, but I made more enemies because I said NO!

Patrick could've/should've been handled differently!
    He was enthusiastic and could've been trained properly.
    It was more fun for that little man from Florida to beat on him.
    I didn't defend him, I went after him as well.
    I just tried to do it the right way and not beat him down just to hump his leg!

Eventually, I couldn't handle it anymore! :~(
    I had been under a huge amount of personal stress and just had no more capacity for it.
    I was spending too much time either defending myself or others. :~(

Like I said, "... but mostly...it's just vicious!".

The "Bliss-ninny"! ;~)

• ntgerald
    16 years ago

if you give up on that forum and develop the gardenweb orchid forum as your base.

You have the opportunity to make more friends, post interesting conversation pieces, and in general reactivate the "dark side". It used to be more active and lively here.

• scott361
    16 years ago

"and in general reactivate the "dark side"."

Sorry, Nelson, I'm not sure that I understand exactly what you mean.

These days, Flickr is what I consider my base.
    I post here a lot and like the attitude.
    I've been treated well and try to do the same.
    Although there were good people there, the ones here band together!
    They don't quiver in the shadows!

Many people cross post, like you do and I used to.
    I try to ask for advice and offer what I'm able to, constuctively, or just harmlessly.

I enjoy banter, I just don't like when it has to be at someones expense.
    Tearing someone down, takes a part of me with it!
    I've done it before and was very, very good at it!
    I just didn't like what I saw in the mirror. :~(

It wasn't the person that I wanted to be, or really was.

Although many of the technical parts of photography and orchid culture still escape me, I think that I've really improved.

I do really miss some of the actual friendships that I'd developed, over there.
    I miss Peter(rainforrest) among many others.

I saw how the whole incedent was twisted and my point of view became moot.
    Dawn was gunning for me and I went for the bait.
    I was a b**ch right back at her.
    As usual, I was the a**hole and she won!
    I'll only go so far.:~(
    I had more private support than they had publicly, but few would come out of their houses to help.
    The few that did, were attacked and told to shut up.
    (Posey and Jean, for example!)

The saying about fighting city hall and all that implies is true.
    I started most of my problems by saying no to things that I didn't like or thought were hypocritcal.
    I never once said a negative thing about anyones photos and I always said please and thank you!
    I tried, within my ability, to make my limited photo skill less offensive.
    Just because I'm still bitter about what was done, doesn't mean that I ever plan on going back.

In the end...I failed and quit trying.
    It was time for me to be happy!
    I am! :~)

• ntgerald
    16 years ago

is what we used to call this "conversation" side, where non-orchid topics are posted.

I was reading about "The Lord of the Flies" earlier today and it reminded me of the way some forums turn out to be.

I think it is more difficult for the youth to let go of things that, in the great scheme of things, turn out to be peripheral.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

I think it would be better if OS were just a closed forum for paying members only. Yes, it's a great place for info, wonderful pics, wonderful trades, but it's not a place for the average person to just hang out once in a while and join in the chit chat. You can observe what's going on, but if I find something worth observing I usually want to participate too. Can't do that there. For the most part, you're ignored. I know it's been said many times these folks all know each other and have known each other for years, but that's not an excuse. I was new when I joined GW and it didn't take long before I was a regular poster with ACTUAL responses and comments from others.

I know there is probably a lot going on OS, but I haven't even looked at it for a couple of months. I don't go to parties where I'm outside looking through a 12 inch thick window, banging on it trying to get in or even get noticed, so I can't find a reason to check them out again. It's kind of the same thing.

Good place, but too frustrating to make any more efforts.

Kevin

• ntgerald
    16 years ago

Thats why I am all for making this forum more active.

I am glad you haven't given up with your postings, Kevin.

• westoh Z6
    16 years ago

OSF reminds me of one of the high-school girl cliques you see in movies and TV shows. If someone new tries to join their little 'circle', they at best get the cold shoulder treatment and generally get publicly humiliated if they even think about questioning them.

I'm appalled when they start bring up 'when someone joined' to enforce their positions. (I've posted 10,000 times you only 5, how dare you question ME!)

Good advice maybe, but a-holes are still a-holes and knowing your stuff don't fix that or make it acceptable.

Bob

• sambac
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gee Scott, did not know there is so much more to that shreiking, laughing spotted hyena story... actually did read more about it, very interesting..
    Most of the time my 'gut instincts' turn out real..scary eh. Did not bother to go back to OSF and re-register.
    GW folks are very decent(for the most part), miss some of the old timers. Troublesome ones got kicked out, does any one still remember Byron...
    NTG, enjoy all your gallery post, you are a major reason for me to get into 'Aerides' and they all are thriving in our new place. THX

• ntgerald
    16 years ago

I think Aerides are more hardy compared to vandas. Plus, the blooms are fragrant.

• osflover
    16 years ago

I love OSF. The growers there are smart and funny. There is a gal from Puerto Rico who got roughed up at first, but she held her own and is doing well. I think you just have to keep perspective. If you can show another General Orchid forum with as much depth of knowledge and experience, I would love to know what it is.

• cbarry
    16 years ago

osflover - Welcome to GW! You registered today, so I wanted to say Hi :)

• osflover
    16 years ago

Thank you cbarry. I've been a lurker for awhile, but this post made me want to join.

• sambac
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Welcome aboard osflover. I was talking about one of her posts, may be her initial posts. I did not think there was a need to humiliate her. To be 'funny' is fun, but not when it is at other's expense. All of us were beginners(at orchid growing) at some point in our lives. An orchid forum does not have to be a 'Mensa Club'
    There are some seasoned grower's here( like Arthur and Howard) who will answer the newbie's with a lot of patience and care-each and every single time.
    Having said that, if I ever were to join OSF, it will be 'flamed'- won't I ?

• sambac
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Last line has to read like this,sorry for the typo:
    Having said that, if I ever were to join OSF, I will be 'flamed'- won't I ?

• osflover
    16 years ago

You probably would only be flamed if you stormed in and acted like you own the place, sambac. There are a few members who need to be ignored (the guy from FL who kept picking on a kid, for example). He will attempt to flame you if you try to come off as smart. It's a lot easier to just ignore him. Denver is a bit weird, but he can be helpful. Moose is probably only helpful if you haven't ever heard of Google. Mr. Sensitive is really good for advanced questions, but his patience for the same newbie question over and over is thin.

• rabbitboy
    16 years ago

I poasted there and they were all meen. So I quite. My mom says I don' 'tneed them aneyway. I have my rabbits and my job and my mom. and my orchids.Tanny almost made me cry. I think ehs' in autraela. I like it her better! My favrite orchid is dendrobrium monelform and one I got from Costco.

I lurked a long time here.

GW roxs!!!!!

• scott361
    16 years ago

{{gwi:134764}}

• sambac
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rabbitboy,you forget to turn on the 'spill chick' in your 'puter!

• mrbreeze
    16 years ago

LOLOLOL....hard to believe that anyone on OSF would be meen to rabbitboy. I'm udderly shokt @ theidea ;-)
    -MB

• sambac
    Original Author
    16 years ago

MB, even if you try hard- you can't write bad english!rabbitboy roxs!!

• scott361
    16 years ago

Spell check?

Who uses one of those?
    Most forums don't have anything like one.
    Even my email misses words that I know are wrong.
    Words slip by, at times, after you've already hit submit! ;~)

",even if you try hard- you can't write bad english!"

It's sort of interesting, how hard it really is!
    It's like pretending that you can't ride a bike, when it's obvious that you can.

A domestic rabbit thrown to Hyenas!
    There wasn't even a patch of fur left! ;~)

Scott

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

I don't even know rabbitboy and I think he rox!

Keep posting rabbitboy!

• clairewags
    16 years ago

I'm one of those folks who enjoys the OSF. I came around less and less after Ivillage bought it from Spike -the site was slowing my puter down and becoming too frustrating with all it's ads and pop-ups. I read the stuff here every once in a while and say hello to some old friends. (Hey Clint, Shades and Kev :))

I never really had a problem with the people there but I am of the mind you should have some tough skin if you are going to be posting on the WWW. Typed words can be easily misunderstood.

Scott, I understand your frustration, but I don't think posting actual usernames of the people who have offended you on that site to this site appropriate.

• sambac
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good to see you clairewags. If people are tough skinned, they would give a damn if they are talked about else where.
    Nevertheless, if you bump into rabbitboy at the 'other forum'- tell him that we miss him here.

• osflover
    16 years ago

busted

• orchidflowerchild
    16 years ago

Heh, I remember when the crazy society that formed over there emerged... Once upon a time, Spike banned me, and I was in the in crowd there. Certain old curmudgeons and sycophants there, however, got old.

Besides, I have better things to do than spend hours in long, drawn-out internet debates.

-Cj

• cheffalo
    15 years ago

I never thought I'd go back to GW, after all these years at OSF! So, any happening here?
    I'm one of the "Disney'd ones" from long long ago that CJ's talking about.

• scott361
    15 years ago

Welcome back, Chef!:~)
    Congratulations on, both, your upcoming wedding and baby!

Interesting how so many people (from the old days) that fled from here have been forced to return.
    I haven't had a lot of spare time to spend online, recently, but I did follow how you were treated over there.
    With friends like these...

I thought that I'd made some friendships(there)and was really disturbed by what happened to me, but the way you were treated was beyond the pale.
    I had always thought that you all were fairly close and seemed to have a good relationship.
    Sad...really, really sad!
    (Although, fairly typical over the last several years!)

If only the owner had taken care of the issue a few years ago, things might have turned out differently.
    It never really mattered...
    The moderators ruled and let their friends do whatever they wanted.
    You lost every dispute without even a hearing.
    Wrong automatically!
    I just didn't have it in me to keep banging my head against the wall.
    So...
    I said a few nasty things and left feeling very bitter about the place.
    Best thing I did!
    I dropped a major source of stress and got a Flickr page instead.
    I've made far more contacts and friends, here as well as there, since.
    And...
    All with absolutely no noticeable attitude issues!
    Mostly! ;~)

Again...
    Welcome back!

Scott

• cheffalo
    15 years ago

Thank you, and thank you.
    Now I got to get a site to upload photos so I can post then here.

• scott361
    15 years ago

Actually, you can use the uploader here.
    On the gallery side of the forum.
    I just was never very happy with it.
    The photo size allowed made for such a low quality posting, that it didn't feel worth the effort.
    That was one of the reasons why I started postin' over there, in the first place.
    Once I was actually forced to find a better way, I gave in and followed the advice to get an account at one of the photo websites.
    I prefered the options that a pro Flickr acct. offered over some of the others.
    (But...each to ones own.)
    You'll find that you'll soon make many friends and your options will greatly expand.
    It's a much larger pond to play in! ;~)

Scott