Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chryss_gw

Waiting at my door !!

chryss
15 years ago

This Regal moth (I looked it up in my Audubon field guide !) was waiting for me when I got home last night. Approximately 6" wingspan and very colorful !! Had lain eggs right there.

{{gwi:134808}}

{{gwi:134810}}

{{gwi:134812}}

{{gwi:134813}}

{{gwi:134814}}

Isn't it a BEAUTY !!

Chryss

Comments (17)

• Driftless Roots
    15 years ago

Gorgeous!!!!!! Are you going to rear the hatchlings? I don't know what regals eat, but it would be such a cool thing to do. Then next season you can introduce them back to the wild.

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I thought of it, so I guess I'll read up in my field guide or google it because I'd HAVE to find out what to feed them !

C-

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shady, just read up =

caterpillar feeds on foliage of hickory, walnut, butternut, ash, sumac and in the South = sweet gum, and persimmon.

I'll have a hard time finding the right stuff here in MD but the cats won't eat real well on my painted cedar shingles !!

C-

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

Regal moths eat Catts

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Stitz !! Now I know what to feed the soon to be hatched CATTerpillars !! :D :D :D

C-

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    15 years ago

Oh my, that is gorgeous! Now had I found that in my youth, I would have promptly gassed and killed it, mounted it and added it to my collection. Still have all those poor creatures.

It is kind of fun to raise these. We use to find Cecropia moth cocoons and hatch them in the spring. One time, I put a female in a cage outside. Soon a male was attached to the outside, so I let him in. They did the deed, laid a bunch of eggs and I raised a whole mess of caterpillars. Very cool to see the entire cycle.

I wish I were still a kid......

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah, I did a caterpillar in a jar thing with Monarch cats and that was neat raising, then releasing a bunch of Monarch butterflies !! For lack of any of the prescribed food I think I'll just move the eggs to a green plant in the backyard, where did you say you lived Stitz ??? Heh,heh,heh,heh !

NO, Julia, I'm NOT collecting them !! At most, was just thinking of renting a room for them !! :D

C-

• arthurm
    15 years ago

Kevin, i wonder if kids still raise silkworms fed on Mulberry leaves?

I'm confused, who is Julia?

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

arthurm,
    Julia (gardenjewel) from "looking for names" thread made a poke at me referring to this moth thread. Greeks don't forget pokes or grudges, heard the Trojan Horse story ??!! Lucky I'm only HALF Greek !

C-

• highjack
    15 years ago

Greeks and women :>)

Brooke

• Driftless Roots
    15 years ago

To piggyback on your post, I found something myself today....

Here is a link that might be useful: Mystery Pupa

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Get a pix if you can !

C-

• Driftless Roots
    15 years ago

Bad news. Mine's most likely a gypsy moth. I may let it emerge and if it's a female, lure in males to kill. Then she gets the axe. This is really very upsetting. I know they're in other neighborhoods but I was hoping my trees might be spared. Time to find out how to get added to the spraying area!

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

Chryss,

PLEASE, take a picture of yer friendly black squirrel! That moth is fugly!

Have we buried the Doomsday threads, yet?

• chryss
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have, but I can't speak for 'we' !

C-

• the_analyst
    15 years ago

Am I the only one who sees moths and thinks of Silence of the Lambs? ;)

I hope I never have a moth placed in the back of my mouth. Eww.

Sarah

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

How does the Trojan Horse story fit in here?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?