Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westoh

Election time again (you can tell by the # of phone cals!)

westoh Z6
11 years ago

I've been pretty conservative for the last 25 years when it comes to national elections. But, this year it seems to be a struggle. I don't like Romney and some of what he stands for (the 1%'ers) and really don't like Obama's agenda. I picked Ron Paul in the primaries, but that horse ain't gonna run no more. Not doing anything seems to be counter-productive, but do I really think lowering rich folks taxes are going to get them to release a little of it to hire workers and such? Not really... I do like the right's financial/we need more jobs to help pay taxes postion better, so it may keep me on that conservative track another 4 years.

How's everyone else feel about the candidates/choices?

First volley has been fired on the conversations side for this year's politcal antics...

Bob

Comments (8)

• arthurm
    11 years ago

Good Luck Bob,
    This side of the forum is as dead as a dodo. Not commenting on politics in the wonderful and wacky country, but you have my sympathy for having to endure a process that seems to go on forever.

• arthurm
    11 years ago

Bob, Just in case you wonder why i call the USA wonderful & wacky....read this article and wonder why a population could be shifted so far left.

Here is a link that might be useful: Australia votes

• westoh Z6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Arthur,

He does 'present' well, but as the article states: I'm more concerned about the domestic economic issues.

I feel like a guy on death row being given the options of the electric chair or lethal injection... I'm screwed either way...

Bob

• arthurm
    11 years ago

Hi Bob, still no bites. LOL. Here is an article written for the National Broadcaster here that may be of interest.

Here is a link that might be useful: ABC Article

• lisa_z5wmi
    11 years ago

Well, I'll bite, even though I probably shouldn't. I started out middle of the road and don't think my views have changed a whole lot in 20 years but now I find myself pretty firmly entrenched on the left. The GOP's record on jobs is pathetic: the House has either refused to vote on or voted No on every fricking job bill they have come across. Even the latest one to help our veterans get work. They are on record saying it is more important to scuttle the current president's chances of improving things in America and thus looking good than to buckle down and get us all (me included) back to work. But my main beef with the right is that they consistently work against the best interests of women; 'no' on the Lily Ledbetter act, and Paul Ryan himself has said that "rape is just another form of conception". I shudder to think what will become of my daughters should the current incarnation of the republican party take charge. I have hopes that they will move back towards the middle- but it won't be in time for this election.

• westoh Z6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Lisa,

A couple of things:

1. What happened with all the jobs when the left had total control of the house and senate? The house has only been controlled by Repubs for the last 2 years and the senate is still Dem controlled?

2. Not all people who lean right feel the same way about women, be careful what you get from the main stream media as they have a very left leaning agenda IMO. As in government support of the arts at any cost, our "Honey Boo Boo" is more important than jobs you know. I'm sure there are plenty of conservatives who have differing opinions about women too, we just don't get to hear about it unless you listen to Fox.

I'm very liberal in most ways, but very conservative when it comes to jobs, the economy and government getting very large and being the main avenue for support for the people. I feel you can't punish people for being successful, it eliminates all motivation to do better and be successful. Then where are you? Who's going to pay for stuff? Who's going to employ/support me? Seems we would rely on government for everything at that point and I'm pretty sure that's not what our forefathers had in mind.

All that said, gosh I dislike Mitt and what he stands for and how he walks like he's got a stick up his butt :-)

Still somewhat undecided for November, for me it's down to picking the lesser of two evils and who will hurt us less in the long run.

Thanks for responding...

Bob

• arthurm
    11 years ago

Hi Lisa and Bob,
    The left are in control of the country here and heaven forbid their leader is a woman. Lol
    My nickname for the left is the Dreamers and my nickname for the other lot is the Bean Counters.

I think the jobs problem is partly due to the rise of technology. The work place has become more efficient and needs less bodies so new types of jobs have to be created.

As for poor old Mit and his 14% Tax Bill..... There is a capital gains tax here and the last time i paid any was pre GFC so no wonder the coffers are somewhat empty over there.

• westoh Z6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Arthur,

I'm for everyone paying the same percentage, no breaks unless you are under $100K, period.

I don't understand why we think the more you make the higher your tax rate? IMO, if we all paid 25% we would all feel a little ownership of the monies and see/vote that it is spent 'smart'.

Bob

Sponsored
Kohlmark Flach Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Kohlmark Flach Architects: Enriching Lives Through Purposeful Design