Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
komi_gw

are honeycombs edible?

komi
17 years ago

for the first time in my life, I have a jar of honey with a honeycomb in it. Is this really awkward but pretty packaging, requiring that the honeycomb be fished out, or is it edible?

sorry I'm starting with a food topic and I don't have anything funny to say - just not one of those days.

:-(

on another food topic, if anyone has figured out a way to make fig granita, please speak up.

Comments (18)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

Yup, you can eat it. Do you like wax?

• turkeytaker
    17 years ago

Mmmmmmm, yeah, they are. They're splendid.

• komi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

so that's what it is. wtf. this makes as much sense as the grading system for maple syrup.

ok, so fresh fig granita anyone? I've been dreaming of it for a few days now.

• varmint
    17 years ago

Do you have a recipe for fresh fig granita? Figs are just starting to show up at our farmer's market...

My mom would tell me that you can chew honeycomb like gum. She grew up on a ranch in guatamala. I grew up in suburban calfornia so I have never tried it.

-Mimi

• arthurm
    17 years ago

Hello Mimi,
    Sigh, food again, when we should solving the world's pronlem.
    Fresh fig granita sounds yummy.

• komi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

no!!!! I don't have a recipe!

I've been warned that the pectin content in figs will turn it to slush.

otherwise granita recipes go something like FlavorWater + (sweetness) + water + freezer + human-operated-fork. Can't be all that hard.

So how to extract fig essence? should some clear fruity liqueur be added (again making it harder to freeze)?

• komi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

too late (or perhaps right on time) I notice that there is a recipe on the back of the label of my now empty box of figs. Which, btw, comes from Cal.

what do you think of this?

fig tortillas

oven: 350F

baking sheet brushed with olive oil
    place tortilla on the sheet
    spread shredded cheese on top
    add a layer of sliced fig
    sprinkle with red onion, cilantro and chilies
    top with cheese
    fold over
    bake for about 8 mins on one side,3 on the other

I will be boarding a plane this week so that I, instead of the figs, do the traveling to eliminate the distance that separates us.

• varmint
    17 years ago

Hi Arthur! At least Komi made no pretenses about talking about food and just jumped right in!

Cheesy figgy quesadillas. Yum!

So Ki, you're back to California again? You should just give up and move here. I hear they have lawyers here too. :0)

-Mimi

• clintdawley
    17 years ago

Fig granita? The fig is so earthy I can't fathom it in a sweet frozen dish..Raspberry and Blackberry granita is way tasty.

As a kid, we would chew the honeycomb as a sort of gum and then spit it out after about an hour.

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

I seem to remember reading somewhere or seeing on TV that adding a shot of booze to frozen fruit stuff like that lowers the freezing point or some such thing. I love figs and now you've gotten me curious. They're great on pizza so the tortilla thing doesn't surprise me.

Travel safe!

• komi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

not a fig granita but a very light icy thing (which I make as a granita):

boil 3 cups water, strips of rind from one lemon, 3 cups sugar, a 1" piece of ginger (vaguely crushed), 3 cinnamon sticks and 6 star anise together. Let sit for a while (eg overnight) and strain.

Add 2 cups orange juice, 1 cup water, and either turn it into a sorbet or granita. A few mint sprigs go well with it :-)

Quantity of water/OJ is totally adjustable.

• komi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I may have posted that granita recipe before - I seem to make it every year.

Anyway, what do you think of flaky pastry tart, with a layer of macerated lemon, egg, butter and almond (or regular) flour filling (sent through a food processor), topped with a layer of halved figs, crushed fennel seeds, and a lemon glaze?

• clintdawley
    17 years ago

Mascerated egg product? Never heard of using eggs in any kind of fruit masceration recipe. Is that salmonella-wise?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

Don't you ever eat ordinary stuff like egg salad?

• komi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

me? sure, I eat from the salad/deli dept most days of the week. Most weeks twice a day.....

umm, lemon slices are macerated in sugar. The syrup is then set aside for use as a glaze. The lemon slices are sent through the food processor with the eggs etc, poured into the pie crust, topped with figs and fennel seeds, and baked.

I think it sounds yummy. Maybe I'll get back into baking when I get back from this trip. (But figs will probably be done by then :(

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

Jeez, and I think I'm doing good when I make spanikopita (I'm too lazy to spell check it).

• mrbreeze
    17 years ago

OMG...figs....fennel....lemon....these are a few of my favorite things....

Your recipes are....enticing! Sometimes I wish you lived next door....not that you'd share! j/k

hope you have a good flight, don't forget to seek out Lychees while they're still in season. mmmmmmm...
    -MB

• komi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

elderflower tea and blackcurrant syrup is the drink of choice this month!

I'm about tired of it though - time to move on.

(((lychees)))

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA