Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
driftlessroots

Salsa Recipe for Canning?

Driftless Roots
16 years ago

I saw the boxes of "salsa tomatoes" at the farmer's market this weekend (probably scratch and dent) and now I can't get the idea of making and canning my own salsa out of my head. We eat a lot of salsa and I'd love to be able to put some up.

We like a semi-chunky style but I imagine with canning anything is going to soften up more.

Does anyone have a great, fool-proof recipe they'd share? (Lisa?)

Comments (3)

• garlicgrower
    16 years ago

Hi Shady :-)

I have been making the recipe from the Ball canning book - sorry I don't have it with me at this time (I'm at work and this is lunchtime :-)
    I will offer you this: make the recipe but dont' use vinegar if the recipe calls for it. You know they want you to lower the pH to help witht he preservation. However, that makes a very un-tasty salsa. Don't add water if the recipe calls for it -
    I switched to using lemon juice - add it small quantities at a time uuntil the flavor is correct - don't just dump in a cupful! I adjusted to suit my family's taste, and wrote down the notes so I could duplicate it.

I also hand peel and chop the vegetables. It's a lot of work
    but the food chopper tends to slurry the vegetables and muddy the colors, even if done in small batches on a pulse.
    I put the chopped tomatoes in a colander so some of the juice strains out and there are more solids. When all are combined for cooking, I add one can of tomato paste.

Obviously, you can't just bottle a fresh salsa, since cooking and preservation change the picture. Fresh is my preference, but in the middle of January the home canned is better than store - bought :-)

Does that help? or have I really confused you?

If you can't find a recipe, let me know and I'll copy the Ball recipe

Good luck!

Maryanne in WMass - back to lurk mode

• Driftless Roots
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info, Maryanne. That's helpful stuff to know. I wonder if I could make a frozen version and still maintain the "fresh" quality I know and love. I found the Ball web site for recipes at Freshpreserving.com where they have several salsa recipes. I think I'll do some experimenting and testing and see what works and what doesn't.

For the moment I'm seeing what I can do with the two quarts of watermelon juice I made yesterday.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    16 years ago

I've never tried this recipe, but it came from a cooking mag. I actually like. Might be worth a shot, but nix the dried basil. Nasty stuff.

Freezer Salsa

* 3/4 cup chopped onion
    * 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
    * 1/3 cup finely chopped sweet red or green pepper
    * 1 to 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
    * 3 garlic cloves, minced
    * 1/4 cup olive oil
    * 12 plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (about 6 cups)
    * 3 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
    * 1/3 cup lime juice
    * 1/3 cup white vinegar
    * 1 tablespoon honey
    * 1 tablespoon sugar
    * 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
    * 1 teaspoon dried basil

SERVINGS

DIRECTIONS

In a large saucepan, saute the onion, celery, peppers and garlic in oil for 5 minutes or until tender.
    Stir in the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool completely. Spoon into freezer containers. Cover and freeze for up to 3 months. Stir before serving. Yield: about 6 cups.
    NUTRITIONAL INFO

Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/4 cup) equals 42 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 158 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz