Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michigoose_gw

Restaurants Manhattan/Boston

michigoose
16 years ago

Ok guys...a friend of mine is going to be in NYC and Beantown. Can anyone give me some suggestions for her for places to eat which are good and not going to cost an arm and a leg?

I remember Chirping Chicken as being the best in NYC, but that was a long time ago and I don't know if they are still there...and I the last time I was in the City, I ended up paying $20 for the worst hamburger in the world...great view, lousy food...Thanks. Lis

Comments (4)

• turkeytaker
    16 years ago

New York:

Grand Sichuan on Lexington somewhere. You can probably google it, but they have the BEST spicy tongue and tripe and some great un-American Chinese food. (My friend is bringing me some home at the end of the week!) They are a bit pricy though.

Sushi Deli Box on 39th somewhere. They had awesome sushi, last time I was there, and it's half off after the lunch crowd.

There's also an Indian place behind the post office that has 1lb/$3 specials.

There's a trance bar near one of the Burritoville's that has great sandwiches.

The good thing about NYC...good, cheap food. *drools* Can't help with Boston. Stacy

• komi
    16 years ago

Hey Lisa! I was just thinking of you. I found a box with things I was supposed to mail you (thankfully not plants) eons ago....

Do you know where abouts in Boston? There's a great bakery in Cambridge..... The rest of my info is a bit dated, though..... hmmm... maybe I should pay that town a visit soon.....

• michigoose
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think they are staying in Salem and bopping around. I told them that the Maparium, Fanuel Hall, the Grainery burying ground, the commons, and possibly a duck boat trip were worthwhile in addition to going to Fenway (he's a baseball nut). I haven't been other than to visit relatives there in a while...and lord knows I think that Carlos' favorite place in Boston to eat was Pizzaria Uno...

Other than that...no. I told them to go to Concord (and Orchard House while there), and in Salem to take a visit to the Essex Institute, although I think they changed their name...or maybe they were the Peabody and now they are the Essex...golly, I can't believe that's so far gone...

Of course when I go back east, I try to get as much good Chinese and pizza as I can because it is sort of lacking here in Troy. We have a great Italian (sort of fancy passable pizza, but not like home) place here, no worthwhile chinese to speak of, supposedly one really good Japanese restaurant, but I think I need to go with someone who speaks Japanese based on my daughter's recommendations) and a couple of pubs...and chains. Lots and lots of chains--which I don't really like to frequent...hence when I'm back I load up on the other. Dayton has some surprisingly good fish places, but since they are driving along 95 from NYC to Boston, I told them to stop in Noank and go to Abbott's Lobster, or to Lenny and Joe's...or...at Noah's in Noank. Mystic Pizza was over-rated in my experience, but I suppose it is fun to go someplace which was featured in a movie...

Next time I'm in DC we'll have to connect and go bopping around....

When I go to NYC I usually put my brain in someone elses' hands...I'm not a big one on cities and Carlos is a graduate of Northeastern, so usually he drags me around Beantown.

• garlicgrower
    16 years ago

Boston: Union Oyster House - historic and delicious seafood.
    Don't nkow what prices are these days, but seafood lovers should visit once in a lifetime....
    Cheers (yeah - I think that's there too;-)
    Maryanne

Sponsored
Old Dominion Kitchen Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
Loudoun County's Kitchen & Bath Design Experts | Best of Houzz 3x