Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xmpraedicta

Anyone watch TV?

xmpraedicta
14 years ago

Anyone following any good shows lately? Trueblood anyone? :)

Comments (18)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    14 years ago

Calvin

Are you trying to resurrect the Dark Side? Nobel effort, but I think it's gone for good.

Actually, I've watched very, very little TV this summer. I haven't even rented any movies. About the only 2 things I watch religiously every summer are: So You Think You Can Dance (without a doubt the best, best, best thing EVER on the tube) and I'm just finishing up Big Brother. I hate 99.999% of that so called reality TV, but for some reason this one is fun and interesting to me. Always has been and therefore it wouldn't be summer without it.

K

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A guy can try, right? :)

Up here we have So You Think You Can Dance Canada, which I don't think is as good. We just aren't as sassy as you guys down there. One of the top 20 is my brother's girlfriend's friend though which is pretty neat.

How bout the movies? There are some awesome flicks coming out in the next few months. Saw District 9 two weeks ago and I loved it.

• Driftless Roots
    14 years ago

I have really gotten away from television, the last couple of years especiall, but the irony is that most of the discs I get from Netflix are TV series. I'm just one disc away from finishing Battlestar Galactica and I'm anxious to do so. It better be satisfying for as much as it's jerking around right now. I'm also watching Dexter and Dead Like Me. For real "live" TV I still catch The Simpsons sometimes and Family Guy. I've given up on Project Runway after the last season was so bad. There's a birding show on Fox Sports on Saturday mornings that I keep forgetting to watch but I hope that can become a habit.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    14 years ago

I forgot about Dead Like Me. I love that! In Mpls, it's on one of the obscure channels, Sunday afternoons, so I often forget to watch or record it. It is TV at it's finest however.

k

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

Wow, actual conversation on the conversation side. I'd long given it up for dead. I read all the Sookie Stackhouse books, but haven't watched True Blood yet. I don't have HBO, and I am terrible about watching TV on my computer, though my roommate does it all the time. I've been watching a random hodgepodge of shows, Warehouse 13 has been amusing, for one. For the most part, though, I suck at watching TV. I'll turn it on while I eat dinner, or for some random brain dead time, but I don't follow anything. The last show I followed was Battlestar Galactica, and that failed because I ended up scheduled to work whenever it was on.

• cjwatson
    14 years ago

I'm a reader instead. I don't watch TV unless there is a great concert or movie on. If I ever ended up in a hospital, I don't know what I would do all day.

• terpguy
    14 years ago

I've been following SYTYCD also. GREAT show! And Dexter is probably one of my favorite series of all time! But I've also kept a hard eye on Big Love...so addicting!

• ntgerald
    14 years ago

I am a clicker. I just watched portions of Rafa Nadal's match with Gael Monfils.

I don't think we already have Dexter here but I've seen the ads for it.

Last night I watched the last 45 minutes of The Kite Runner on HBO and I loved it. I understood it better because I read the synopsis on wikipedia, lol...during the time I was watching.

I think I've regressed, as far as tv viewing is concerned. Occasionally I don't click away from the kids channel, to watch Angela Anaconda and Madeline. Hahaha.

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Apparently sookie is annoying as heck in the books. She's only a little annoying in the show.

Saw an advert for Glee, which looks pretty funny! Dexter - saw the first season. Does anyone else find it disturbing to be cheering for a serial killer?

Kevin - checked out dead like me and it looks pretty good! I'll hafta rent/obtain it.

Nelson - I have a kid brother so I'm on that channel all the time...my mom constantly wonders what's happened to cartoons these days, with things like sponge bob, cow and chicken etc...

I mainly only watch some shows which I watch on my computer. Luckily we don't have the food network or the home and garden channel, because otherwise I'd be glued to the screen 24/7. Carol - any good read recommendations? I commute 2 hrs a day, and with my tests mainly over, I'm finding myself in need of reading material :)

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

She is? I thought she was amusing. It's not a deep read, but it's a quick read. Read the first one, and determine for yourself. I think the first book is represented in the first season, but I don't know for sure, since I've never seen a single episode. I did like Dexter. I just haven't gotten to see many episodes. Again with the whole not watching TV on my computer thing. I don't know what it is, I'm not into it. I'd rather look up info on my computer, or shop for plants and supplies, ha.

I will read almost anything. I find it fascinating to visit different mindsets, different worlds, spanning all sorts of genres from silly crime novels to historical nonfiction. You have a genre in mind? Anything you can't stand reading?

• ntgerald
    14 years ago

Apparently, Dexter has been showing here, all three seasons of it, without me knowing.
    Today a colleague bought for me complete CDs for all three seasons.
    I watched portions of a Dexter marathon on TV yesterday. I'm not sure about becoming a fan, though.

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've only watched season 1 of dexter...pretty good. It's odd when I find myself cheering for the serial killer...there's something attractive about characters possessing extraordinary traits and yet exhibiting weaknesses or vulnerabilities. Hence the vampire craze, perhaps.

Q - I'm a really bad reader and rarely venture outside of genres I'm used to, which happen to be alternative reality fiction, near-future science fiction, anything involving supernatural things (clearly I have a problem with reality) and other social commentary related works....with that said, I almost ALWAYS enjoy what people have recommended me even though at first I'm always apprehensive over things like autobiographies and historical fiction.

I like the direction this thread is heading so I'm going to shamelessly steer it towards that direction. Favorite reads, everyone? Anyone?

For me:
    The Chrysalids - John Wyndham
    Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury
    A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry
    Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
    Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte (I know...wtf right)
    Angraecoid Orchids: Species from the African Region - Joyce Stewart (sorry I just had to...I'm obnoxious)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    14 years ago

Favorite book:

Green Thoughts by Eleanor Perenyi

I've read and reread this one so many times I've lost count.

Speaking of TV and the supernatural - Supernatural had its season premier last week. Just love that show! It kind of takes the place of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, but not quite. Now those were great TV viewing.

K

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've only seen that show randomly, and most of the time it's because I get distracted from doing something else when I catch a glimpse of Jared Padalecki on the TV.

SPEAKING of supernatural, has anyone seen the trailer for this new movie coming out in December called "Avatar"? Not sure how profound it will be, but the graphics sure do look amazing. Directed by the same guy who did the Titanic

• quinnfyre
    14 years ago

Sorry, wasn't really paying attn to this side again. I still have never seen the series, but I was told that Sookie is way more annoying in the series than she is in the books. Which might explain why I didn't really find her annoying at all.

I have a problem with listing favorite anythings; for some reason someone asks that question and I blank out immediately. Maybe my brain doesn't want to share : P But I can make a recommendation. You might enjoy Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman. I really liked it. It's a book I go back and reread, now and again.

• orchidnick
    14 years ago

Like to watch tennis if one of the Russian hotties is playing, also become a baseball fan in October only. NBA is about to start, never miss a Lakers game, also the NFL and the College games especially if my favorite teams are winning.

Other than that one dose of CNN daily and Fox news only if I need to clean my intestinal system by throwing up. Listening to Rush does the same thing.

History, National Geographic, Sience channels and Turner classic movies round out the picture. Reading happens after 10 PM until I fall asleep.

Nick

• xmpraedicta
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love science channels and national geographic..it's the one thing that I can watch with my 93 year old grandpa for hours on end. Fox makes me want to vomit a little too...google news ftw

Q - I'm the same way...I'm partial to mood changes. I'm reading Red Mars right now and it's pretty decent..heard a lot about Gaiman though so I'll pick that one up the next time I'm at the library.

• stitzelweller
    14 years ago

If you have the capability through your cable, watch Al Jazeera. A news channel, not someone's interpretation of events for you = MSNBC, BBC, Fox, et al.

--Stitz-

Here is a link that might be useful: Al Jazeera English