Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

OK, K Kong - no. How about The Host?

aachenelf z5 Mpls
16 years ago

I've actually been hearing very good things about this S Korean monster flick. I used to love all these as a kid and haven't seen a good one in years. It doesn't have to be profound, just really entertaining.

Comments (30)

• clairewags
    16 years ago

Kev, since you are my cyber friend I am going to turn you on to one of my fave web sites all ready linked to The Host:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/host/

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Claire

Oh thanks so much! I love this quote from one of the reviews:

"The Host is like a mutant hybrid spawned from the improbable union of Little Miss Sunshine and Godzilla. For the film is a family comedy and political satire in which an unnaturally evolved tadpole just happens to loom (very) large."

Top of the queue it goes.

• clairewags
    16 years ago

You are very welcome. I look up Rotten Tomatoes all the time!

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Ooooo! That does sound good. I think I'll request it.

• clairewags
    16 years ago

That's right Shades- the frost is rolling in- better get some movies and something warm to curl up with.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Now I'm MAD!! I put this movie in my queue last night and it was listed as available NOW. I just took a look and now it says SHORT WAIT. That could be a week or longer. Did our little discussion here cause a mass scramble to get this movie?? Are people all over the world following our every word and doing what we do? Do we really have that much power over everyone?

This is scary!

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Gee. That sucks. I just got an email from Blockbuster saying it's been shipped. Maybe I'll watch if Friday night :)

• clairewags
    16 years ago

Meanie.

How odd. Mine says it's available now. Let's try it with another movie and see what happens....

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Netflix is kind of odd. 99.9% of the movies I get are shipped from a zip code very close to mine. I have a feeling their local distribution center is really close to me. On occasion I get one from N Dakota. N Dakota?? I didn't know they even had dvds out there. Anyway, when that happens it always takes a day longer to get the movie and a day longer to ship it back. Bummer.

• qylliam
    16 years ago

OOh ooh ! I know I'm behind the times but we just started watching Rome. I have to watch it with a blanket at the ready(for eye coverage) but excellent!

Hooray for not watching what's actually on tv!

• clairewags
    16 years ago

Ok- I moved The Host up on my queue. Lets see if I get it Saturday. Either I'm getting The Host and Hot Fuzz or Hot Fuzz and Disturbia.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Looks like I'm getting Beowulf & Grendel and Leaving Metropolis for the weekend. I think I need popcorn too.

• clairewags
    16 years ago

Don't get microwave popcorn with butter. That stuff causes cancer or something bad.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Claire - I always do popcorn the old fashioned way - kettle on stove - real butter and lots of it and just a touch of salt. For some reason I lost my taste for salt years ago.

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Beowulf and Grendel? I'll have to look into that. Loved the book?poem?thing. I was all excited to hear there was a Beowulf movie coming out soon but not so much when I heard it was the same technique as Polar Express. I never saw that movie because just the ads were enough to creep me out with the not quite real and not quite animated people. Definitely an uncanny valley revulsion reaction there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Uncanny Valley on Wikipedia

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Now, did anyone see/like Grindhouse?

(The co-conspirator made me put Amelie on our list because a friend told him it was good. Should I be worried?)

• clairewags
    16 years ago

The Host and Hot Fuzz will be here tomorrow!

Amelie: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/amelie/

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I watched Beowulf and Grendel last night. It wasn't the best thing I've seen, but I did enjoy it. 3 out of 5 stars for me.

I can't stand those pseudo people in flicks. I guess they just annoy me and the fact that they're even used instead of real, real people annoys me more.

Grindhouse? Nope. Will check into that.

Claire - I'll be curious to see what you think of Hot Fuzz. Not to sway you or anything, but I HATED, HATED, HATED it! I was so looking forward to watching that one and was really in the mood for something clever and funny. Nope.

Now the BIG NEWS: The phal god must be looking out for me. The Host will arrive tomorrow. It's going to be cold and icky tomorrow, so this should be perfect.

• clairewags
    16 years ago

Dagnabit. Did you see Shaun Of The Dead? Hilarious!! How can Hot Fuzz not be funny? Carp. I'll let you know what I think- Oooh and we'll regroup about The Host too.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Shaun of the Dead had me rolling on the floor. Has to be one of the best movies ever!

Hot Fuzz - I don't know what went wrong here. Maybe the humor was too obscure or something. I know I was really tired that night, so maybe that had something to do with it. I actually dozed off a couple of time. I never do that.

I'm really in the mood for something like The Host, so it better be good.

• rita_h
    16 years ago

How about "The 300"? Breathtakingly beautiful movie, some stupid subplots and dialogue, lots of beefcake (where did they get all those manly men...?) I think it's worth seeing at least for the cinematography. Done by the same dude that did "Sin City"... I liked that too but lots of folks didn't because of the violent content.)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rita - I saw 300 last week and did enjoy it. I wasn't as blown away as I thought I was going to be, but it was good. Yup, the men were ultra manly weren't they? I know Gerard Butler really trained for that role, but I also think I read somewhere that certain aspects of their bodies were digitally manipulated to make them even more perfect. They did a good job.

• rita_h
    16 years ago

Keep an eye for the South Park episode where they make fun of "The 300"... It's hilarious!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Host

Well, I watched it.

I hated it.

"family comedy and political satire" - Huh?? How about just plain stupid?

I guess I did like the monster though.

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Well, that's an hour of my life I'll never get back. Live and learn, I guess. I hope my next video, whatever it is, is better.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You've probably blocked it out, but it was more like 119 minutes of your life.

I happened to hit the subtitle button on my remote they were actually different than the spoken dialogue. Neither made much sense.

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Actually it was just a tad over an hour thanks to fast forward.

The monster was fun, though.

• orrin_h
    16 years ago

Speaking of subtitles, I bought a cheap asian copy of 'Butterfly Affect', in English, which had English subtitles which couldn't be turned off despite the menu option to do so. They're distracting enough to draw one's eyes at least occasionally. Holy cow. A deaf person watching this version would have been very confused indeed. At one point Ashton asks his girlfriend if they'll be together forever or something and she says "That's the plan, Hell or high water". The subtitle is something like "It's a plant. How do I water?" Then he says something like "I was just checking" and the subtitle is "It's a big tree". It's pretty funny stuff, but only on the second viewing if you actually want to follow the plot.

-O-

• Driftless Roots
    16 years ago

Orrin, that sounds hysterical! When a friend of mine got a copy of an Indian film we were anxious to watch I was at his house but we planned to watch it the coming weekend. We decided to peek at a section in the middle but turned on the Thai subtitles so we wouldn't spoil any surprises. It was pretty funny for some reason.

• clairewags
    16 years ago

Thank you for saving me an hour plus as I did not watch it. :P

Kev- I thought Hot Fuzz was pretty funny. I'm guessing it will be funnier the second time I watch it like Shaun of the Dead was.

Sponsored
C&D Concrete & Construction
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Experienced Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Masonry in Franklin County