Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
komi_gw

1625 bonsai

komi
17 years ago

how's your world history?

Just took pics of some of the labels on the bonsai at the National Arboretum. One is from 1625. Another has been in training since 1795. Another from 1825, and one from 1832, and a few from the late 19th century.

1625? are we serious? that's feudal. Well, almost. In 1625, Japan was still only recently unified and was about to enter some 200 years of closed door policy, restricting international relations to China and Netherlands through one port in the south. How on earth did this bonsai continue getting pruned and handed down for so many centuries?

1. Charles I crowned king of England. Five years after the Mayflower....

Here is a link that might be useful: bonsai at the National Arboretum

Comments (12)

• Judybird2014
    17 years ago

dedication, that's how they did it,
    down through the centuries(!!)

gorgeous pics!

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Wow komi! Great stuff....and I went through the rest of your photos...I'm searching for a trident maple to plant in my yard (not to do bonsai), and it seems that I'm going to have to go to bonesai suppliers. Ick.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

I do like looking at bonsai, but in very small doses. When I start thinking about the work, time and thought that goes into these things, my mind goes numb. Can you imagine being the person in charge of such a collection? One little mistake and you have some very old and valuable firewood.

• komi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Kev. There's some nightmare fodder for ya.

• Judybird2014
    17 years ago

omg some monk will carve Kev up tonite into a gnarly old man/loaf.

• clintdawley
    17 years ago

WOW!

I couldn't bonsai. I have enough problems just tying up catt leads...

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Yeah, old trees. Just for fun some time go over to the bonsai forum and ask how old people's oldest trees are and other questions that emphasize age over art/appearance. Some of them really get bent out of shape over that. Spell it with a "z" for added amusement.

There's been a guy set up in the parking lot of a former pest control business on the other side of town selling "bonsai" much in the manner of the guys with the truckload of hideous rugs with tiger faces and paintings of elvis on black velvet. I'm sure the purists snort every time they drive by.

The Arnold Arboretum has a lovely little collection of bonsai going back at least to the 18th century if I remember correctly.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

Yes, I've heard those little tree people can be a bit intense. At one point in time I was going to post a question over there like this: "Can I make a bonsai out of the lilac in my front yard?" and watch the insults come flying my way.

• komi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm with Clint. Bad enough with catts... can't imagine having a two-week window to repot, and other such finicky preferences. I did consider bonsaiing a wisteria though - thank goodness I don't have enough sun.

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

Thanks for sharing the pics Ki. It's really mind boggling when you think of all that is involved, and over how many centuries.

• komi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

personally, I like to think of my Bowiea volubilis as a bonsai.....

how goes it, L? How was the sale? Moving soon?

• mrbreeze
    17 years ago

That's the coolest thing I remember ever seeing. Well...its REALLY cool anyway. The chinese pavilion looks just about identical to the chinese garden in Portland. I wonder if Angs can be bonZafied? muahahahaha.....
    -MB