Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momma_d_gw

Opinions, please.....

momma_d
17 years ago

I found out this morning that I have a herniated disc (C5) in my neck. My neck has been hurting for about a year and I was just passing it off as part of getting older. A friend recommended a chiropractor and I saw him once a week for 12 weeks. He wasn't able to do any manipulation because my neck muscles were too knotted up in spasms. I really enjoyed my weekly massage therapy but the pain was getting progressively worse. I saw an osteopathic physician on Friday and again this morning. The xrays indicate the herniated disc and bone spurs. The treatment plan for the next two weeks is muscle relaxers when I go to bed, pain meds morning and night and cervical traction for 20 minutes, twice a day. If that doesn't help, he suggested the possibility of a cortisone injection and maybe surgery. The idea of a cortisone injection doesn't bother me (I've had them in my shoulder and elbow) but the idea of neck surgery is creeping me out. I'm not a weenie when it comes to surgeries. I've had my hands operated on, my shoulder, my gallbladder and a hysterectomy. Breezed through them just fine. But, I guess, I've heard too many horror stories about back/neck surgeries that didn't work or made the pain worse, etc.

So, any of you out there have any words of wisdom or personal experience to share with me? I know modern surgical techniques are amazing and I know I don't want my neck to hurt like this for the rest of my life.

Laurie

Comments (5)

• cbarry
    17 years ago

DH had a herniated disk that had slipped into the spinal column at L5/S1 (lower back, just above the tailbone), and was crushing the spine. By the time we received a proper diagnosis, he had already suffered partial, permanent nerve damage. The surgeon who (essentially) saved his life performed emergency surgery within hours of the diagnosis. Tiny little incision too. A few years later, my BIL had the exact same surgery done by the exact same surgeon, only the injury was caught before any nerve damage had occured. (Clearly, there's something wrong with those 2 brothers!!!) But DH has the use of the lower half of his body thanks to the surgeon.

And now yoga keeps him flexible and out of the chiropractor's office.

Carolyn

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Laurie, my mom had back surgery for herniated discs and bone spurs too...I can't remember which vertebrae, but she did really well, and is pain free (from that part).

I'd do my research and make sure your doc and facilities have good success rates. Then I'd go for it.

I'd wager you hear more about the botched ones than the ones which do fine.

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

I'd be hesitant to have anyone mess with my back too. Like you, I would try the less invasive therapies first.

That said, if you ever have any numbness, weakness or lack of sensation anywhere in your body, assume it's the disk misbehaving and get to an ER ASAP. As Carolyn suggested, it can be reversed if acted upon promptly but promptly doesn't mean tomorrow, it means NOW.

• momma_d
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to all of you for the advice. So far, the only symptom is neck pain that turns into a screaming headache by the end of the day. I've been doing some research and it sounds like if I have to go the surgery route, it will be minimally invasive, short stay with a small incision in my throat. Maybe that's what's creeping me out - they go in through the front of the neck because it's easier to see what they're doing and access the affected area.

I'll keep you posted on what's going on - I have to go hang myself now - the cervical traction thingie hangs from the door and I sit in a chair with my head in a sort of sling. It does feel better while I'm in traction.........but feels exactly the same when I take it off :(

• cjwatson
    17 years ago

Laurie, I recommend you grab your x-rays and run to an orthopedist now and if he/she recommends surgery, I would run to the operating room immediately. Bone spurs do not go away, they just grow bigger and cause more agony and damage and can even break off. If the disc comes apart and damages the nerves, you may be looking at a lifetime in a wheelchair. Different circumstances, but my stepson lived as a quadraplegic for nine years after he broke C-4 until he died in his sleep at the age of 34. He was foolish and had to race his motorcycle on rainy mountain roads. Don't be foolish and drag this along until it is too late to operate.

Cortisone may take away the pain and reduce the inflammation, but it doesn't fix the problem. Traction is not going to fix the disc or remove the spurs either. They may give you some relief from pain, but it just might cause you to wait too long to fix the problem and end up in far worse and irreparable condition. Right now, the problem is at its easiest to fix, and from here on out, it is going to become more and more difficult to get a satisfactory result.

Just my personal opinion. You have plenty of time before the holidays to get it done, if the doctor recommends surgery.