Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
komi_gw

another shout out - ginnibug?

komi
17 years ago

are you around?

anyone heard from/of her recently? been trying to email.....

Comments (25)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

She must be since she just responded to my paint thread.

• ginnibug
    17 years ago

I'm here,I'm here!!! I sent one reply back like...last week. Did you get that one? Give me a holla! Sorry I didn't see this until today, Wednesday the 20th. ginnibug

• varmint
    17 years ago

I must be so nosy. I always pull up these threads even though they are not for me. :0)

Maybe I am just bored and lonely. Sigh.

Anyway. Now that Ki found Ginnibug anyone wanna help me melt this thread?

Here is an interesting thing to blab on for a sec. I have been buying these European chocolates from import stores in my area. They are called kinder surprise. They are a chocolate egg with a really great toy inside. The toys are well made and some need to be assembled. I am going to show my age now -- the toys remind me of the cool things that came in cracker jacks back in the late 60's early 70's. Anyway, I found out they are illegal here in the U.S. because the FDA won't approve them because the toy is a choking hazard. Must be why you don't get toys in most cereal or snack foods these days. Sigh.

-Mimi

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

Mimi

I snoop too. We should form a club or something.

That egg sounds very strange. You should post a pic. I can't imagine such a thing existing. What happens if you bite down on the thing really hard? Do you break a tooth or choke from the toy inside or make your mouth all bloody? Are the toys metal with pointy things all over to really hurt you? Sounds like something to give out on Halloween to all those little brats I love so much. Maybe the toys are made of lead and the chocolate is all full of lead and you are killing yourself very, very slowly.

They sound very cool indeed.

K

• komi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

hi ginnib!!! Now I am guilty of not responding. *hides*

So I was wondering where the food thread was. Here it is! right under my nose.

speaking of noses, my "new" bulbo has a candy scent.

{{gwi:135411}}

but back to the food - somewhere in the depths of my memory, I seem to recall chocolate eggs with toys inside, but I don't think any of them were so cool.

• mrbreeze
    17 years ago

I'd never heard of those bizarre eggs until this year when a friend sent me some. The chocolate was really good! The eggs are about the size of a real egg so only the BIGGEST mouthed kid could swallow one whole. The toys do have some tiny parts... but so do legos and my 2-year old niece eats them all the time.

I think it's silly to make them illegal. If nothing else they could sell them in liquor stores. Hmmm, maybe all dangerous things should be sold in liquor stores! Guns, fireworks, habenaro peppers, knowledge, voter registration forms...

-MB

• varmint
    17 years ago

I found a link to the canadian site. Our buddies up north are probably pretty familiar with these.

The eggs are actually very safe. They are made of very soft chocolate which you can easily break open with your fingers. Inside is a plastic container (which you can probably try to swallow but you would definately choke on) you open this small plastic container to find the toy which is often in pieces to put together which probably also pose a choking risk.

Here is the link with some of the toys and puzzles listed

Here is a link that might be useful: kinder surprise - canada

• varmint
    17 years ago

Yes, yes! The liquor stores could also sell exotic pets and all manner of sharp things. They already sell cinnamin schnaps and goldschlagger. Too potentially dangerous things. Then again dangerous items and alcohol don't mix that well....

• ginnibug
    17 years ago

Hey 'everbuddy!!

I remember cracker jack toys, never really played with them much though; you see I had an admitted problem back then...I was a chewer! All the small toys had to be taken away because I would put it in my mouth.

And yes Breezey, I agree totally. All the liquor stores are closed around here on election day, I think maybe they need to change that. I say mandatory drinking on election day,maybe some of these people would make better decisions.gb

• ginnibug
    17 years ago

Jaegermeister and Baerenjaeger don't mix all that well either. DH found that out a couple years back. It's a German double whammy! Too many shots of those and you feel like the Kaiser 'til ya lose your schnetzel. I too have worshipped the porcelein gods because of Goldschlagger.gb

I'm helping hijack a thread for me. Who coulda thunk it.

• varmint
    17 years ago

Your helping us hijack the thread because you love us.

:-)

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Hnmmmmm Spring surprise anyone? That's all I could think about when reading about the eggs.

• jacamarorchids
    17 years ago

Hi from canada
    the kinder supprise eggs are all over the place up here! i remember them from at least 17 years ago. what could be better than a chocolate with a toy inside? as for the choking thing let darwin do his work if the kids cant figure out that you eat the chocolate and not the toy maybe its for the best (just my ever so HO *grin*)
    Bryan

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

I remember those eggs from a trip to France. I've been sneaking the little plastic animals into a co-irker's desktop zen garden along with other things.

What should I make for dinner tonight? It'll be after a yoga class so quick and easy is probably a good idea.

• varmint
    17 years ago

Shady,
    You are wonderful. Nothing would be more zen destroying than a tiny toy car or a plastic cartoon character!!

-Mimi

• turkeytaker
    17 years ago

The Kinder Eggs are wonderful! They're always the first thing on my shopping list when I go out of the country. We lived in Germany when I was little, and I had such a huuuge collection of the little toys.

I like the zen garden idea...

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Mimi--it was culminating with a pink-haired troll that I thought was the perfect ending. I've since retrieved all the pieces one at a time. Next I'm going to take out the rocks slowly and end with removing the sand. I'm undecided whether to replace it with M&Ms or bring the troll back and bury it. Decisions...decisions...

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

I think this would be a nice Zen garden addition. He looks peaceful doesn't he?

{{gwi:135412}}

• varmint
    17 years ago

I like her pink nose. Is she a piggy bank (or I guess I should say cowwy bank)?

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

Nope, just a little cow. I also have a pig. You can put little chocoate covered things in her and have them come out the rear end. This is the Midwest you know. We like things simple and down to earth.

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

My imagined concept of your home and taste level has just taken a turn.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

Shady - You don't like my cow???? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Please don't judge me on her or her cousin the pig. (sniff) My house is very tasteful. For example, right now I'm looking at a very nice pair of 18th century Sang de Boeuf ginger jars on my dining room table.

Somehow I did make a decision a long time ago to allow cute and funky crap in my kitchen, hence the cow and pig. I have one shelf in there with a very odd assortment of animals. They make me laugh. That's what kitchens are all about.

I won't even talk about my collection of refrigerator magnets in the making.

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Should I send you the moose cousin? They sell these in NE too...JoAnn fabrics used to have a bunch particularly around Christmas.

Hmmm. You've got a pair of Sang de Boeuf, and I have early 19th century blue/white ginger jars and 18th century export porcelain and Spode...hmmmmm....maybe we should open a shop....

• ginnibug
    17 years ago

I particularly like the chickens and roosters in the kitchen. Oh yum eBay kitchenalia, especially porcelien salt boxes,german or french in particular. I paid $180 for an old german one. ok I like enamalware salt boxes too. I know not real pricey but that's ok,more money for kids animals and orchids.

Did Ki reply back to me? I better check my email.gb

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

My ginger is in plastic jars and ziplocs.