Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

The evening news

aachenelf z5 Mpls
17 years ago

CBS News with Katie Couric  Belch!

OK, so whatÂs the verdict for those of you who watch the national news?

I canÂt stand her, never could. To me she always sounds like a 3rd grade teacher addressing her class and I think her class might just be up on things a bit more than she is. CanÂt stand the new format either. WhatÂs up with this "Free Speech" segment? Listening to someone blab on about something is boring. Debate is interesting.

If they wanted a kick-a__ woman (and the news needs a kick-a__ woman), why didnÂt they import someone from the BBC or something? Why did they hire her anyway? I guess I like the old geezers better if I had a choice. Well, I do have a choice I guess.

Comments (15)

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Who cares? She's got about what? 18 minutes to present the news of the world and at least one fluff piece. TV news isn't about being informed. It's about being entertained with the notion of being informed. I gave up on broadcast when I realized "if there wasn't footage it wasn't news" and gave up on print when I realized what I was reading over breakfast I knew already via digital.

• Judybird2014
    17 years ago

I have CNN and Fox News.com on here and check the headlines every now and then,
    more so when something 'big' is going on..
    Evening news is either too depressing or too phony.
    I listen to/watch Imus sometimes in the mornings when I want a real weird slant,
    (his motto: I'm not happy 'til you're not happy;-)

• clintdawley
    17 years ago

There is no such thing anymore as a real journalist on TV. They are all talking head fluffs that probably have below average intelligence, but still look presentable enough and can read. SAD..SAD...

I get all of my news online...

OH..and Judy...stay away from Faux ...er Fox news..they'll only brainwash you with fear and Repuglican propaganda reminiscent of Pravda.

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, I'm aware of all this stuff, but still have this ritual of watching the news during dinner. I don't expect any major insights from these folks. I just want to find out who blew up whom today or what words of wisdom came out of our great leaders mouth today. I still like the BBC. It's amazing what they can cover in a 1/2 hour and still make you feel like you actually learned something.

What's very sad about all this is how the news is presented reflects what people want to see. If Katie is a rip-roaring suceess, it's more of a commentary on where the American people are at. Networks wouldn't do what they do if people didn't want it. All about ratings you know.

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

If you just want to know what words of wisdom came from our great leaders mouths on any given day, there is only one place to get that info. The Daily Show. It's on comedy central but if you don't have cable, this site has clips of it. You can probably find the entire show on youtube if you wanted to look.

They had great fun with that senator, or whoever he was, who stated that the internet was like a dump truck and could only hold so much. As proof that the internet tubes clog, someone sent him an internet on Friday that didn't make it to his computer until Monday.

The sad thing is, this guy is on a committee studying internet regulations, and he doesn't even know that the internet and email are two different things.

Here is a link that might be useful: daily show clips

• arthurm
    17 years ago

If you google Katie Couric and select images. You find zillions.

Be fair, this is a difficult job. You have to look good, show no emotion no matter what you are reading and if something goes wrong. deal with it in a smart way.

The career path seems to be that you have to be a journalist first.

One news reader on the National Broadcaster (free to air, trusted, funded by the government and hated by politicians) could be her twin.

How long before your great and glorius leader has to retire?

Here is a link that might be useful: Juanita Phillips

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

"he doesn't even know that the internet and email are two different things"

This is news to me. How does email get from place to place? :)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I miss the Daily Show soooooooo much. There is nothing better on the tube. Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it.

Back to Katie. She's being paid $15 million a year! No I'm not going to give her a break! I think she has the no emotion thing covered. All the buzz is about how much botox she's had pumped into her face. One side looks a bit frozen.

• michigoose
    17 years ago

Should I cut my spike? All the flowers dropped off.

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

Wiseguy

• Ginge
    17 years ago

Well take the @#*&^ Phal. out of the freezer. not that much cool down . lolol .. G

• arthurm
    17 years ago

This should be relabeled the night owls page. Apologies for another senior moment. My post should read "glorious leader"

Thank goodness we have the Australian Broadcasting Commission. Funded by taxpayers and costs everyone about 8C a day.

Of course it doesn't keep the Ba--d--ds (politicians) entirely honest, but it helps a little bit.

Someone must have something nice to say about Katie.

• arthurm
    17 years ago

Gin. Lol

• Ginge
    17 years ago

She reminds me of the old Chatty Kathy Doll, bet she has a string somewhere ? G :)

• clintdawley
    17 years ago

Arthur,

As an Aussie, you're forgiven. You probably didn't watch American TV during the good old days of investigative journalism. There is a difference between that and reading from the talking points of the "Decider". Katie Couric probably ranks high as a hottie in your age group.

A real journalist doesn't tell you what Paris Hilton is wearing or show you pictures of Suri Cruise.

I wanna see that British Programme: Death of a President. I can't wait until Tony Blair's bloody New Labes tear him apart.