Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ntgerald

Has this forum lost participants?

ntgerald
14 years ago

I rarely come in now, for some strange reason. In fact, I started with this forum.

Comments (10)

• sambac
    14 years ago

Ahhhh, good to see you back!! Miss your gallery posts!! You very well know that you are personally responsible for my insane spending ( orchid spending only)Still in search of a resonably priced coel usitana and some species vandaceous. How's life otherwise? How are the farm visits coming thru?

• cjwatson
    14 years ago

Hi, Nelson! Good to see you.

It's still summer and people are on vacation or spending more time out of doors rather than at their computers. Also, school had just started and parents had been busy getting their kids ready. Most of the forum bunch should be returning soon.

Miss your photos.

• ntgerald
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am building a caretaker's cottage in the farm right now. Or rather, several guys are doing it, lol...

• albertan
    14 years ago

I, too, come back to read what is going on in the forum from time to time. Health issues prevent me from taking care of my orchids, and having friends do so allows me to enjoy them, to a lesser degree. But it isn't the same--hands on was so much better. I do enjoy reading the forum and seeing old friends still participating, and I do post now and then. Am still reducing my collection gradually.

• xmpraedicta
    14 years ago

Albertan - good to see you again! I visit but mainly lurk in the gallery...you know what we're missing? Some good ol fashioned drama to stir up the pot and bring everyone out of hibernation

• ntgerald
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness Alberta. I do miss you.

You were the first person to ever answer a question from me in this forum.

How are you, girl?

I now have about 5000 plants of my own in the farm, about a third of it naturalized in tree trunks. And, I have started flasking as well. I have a link to my site, which houses photos of my plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: likas_halamanan

• albertan
    14 years ago

Glad to hear you have amassed 5000 plants. That was my peak number, before a couple of hurricanes decimated a good many.I am forced to use a wheeled walker that doesn't work too well on grass, so I don't get out to the orchids very often, but I have two friends who come on different days every week to care for them, and they bring blooming plants onto my patio and hang blooming vandas to the outer edge of my growing area so I can enjoy them. There are usually at least a dozen blooming at a time, so life is good! I still have about a thousand plants left. I still belong to six societies and enjoy their programs.I think I do pretty well for a young 89 year old.If only I could buy a couple of new legs.................
    I really enjoyed visiting your site.

Calvin--Good idea--you get the pot on the fire and I will be glad to take my turn at stirring!

• blackeyedgurl
    14 years ago

I know I left the forum a while back and have only recently returned. I can't remember the password for my old user name so I had to take a new one. I was formerly known as PhalGal (I wrote the reddening leaves FAQ way back in the day).

It seems a lot of the old familiar faces are MIA. Although it's good to see Alberta is still around!

Adrianna

• chickadeedeedee
    14 years ago

I'm not much of a forum participant before just because I know little about orchid culture and often lurk to glean useful information. I do have a nice collection of species orchids and some foofy ones too.

My husband has a serious illness so my priorities have been with his needs. This last Wednesday I had surgery on the radial and ulnar nerves of the left arm as the result of damage I got at work. And of course I am left handed soooooo typing is, uhh, different now. I'll be one armed for 4-6 weeks. Plenty of time for me to become an Internut and perhaps ask some orchidy questions.

That's my story.

I'm usually over in the Pond forum but that is *very* slow too. Maybe the Ponders have gone into hibernation too?

• Ginge
    14 years ago

Hi all ! I drop in off and on and read . Good to see friends :) Gin