Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michigoose_gw

Ultimate Brownie recipe?

michigoose
17 years ago

Ok..I've decided I'm not happy with my brownie recipe of many years. I'm looking for a fudgy, gooey one, preferably with a glossy top. Part of this is for my dd who prefers box brownies...I like the consistency of box brownies, I like the glossy top...I hate the taste as it tastes like preservatives to me.

Tonight I tried one which had 1 1/3 c flour, 4 squares baking chocolate, 1 cup butter, 4 eggs, 2 cups sugar, 2 tsp. vanilla. Even though it billed itself as a gooey brownie, it wasn't. Top was dull, and the brownie more fine-grained cake like..I'll also say that these measurements were fora 9 x 13" pan.

Also...what the heck MAKES a glossy top? I thought it had to do with the amount of eggs, but I'm unsure.

Molli, I hope you're reading!!!

Thanks...oh yeah, and I have to admit, I like brownies for the batter....Blonde Brownies are da bomb!

Comments (5)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

I have a whole bunch of brownie recipes I've never made. I loved these as a kid, but haven't made any in years. You know, I just remembered something. Brownies were the very first thing I ever baked. We could all bake a batch and post pictures???

• jacamarorchids
    17 years ago

i dont have the recipe handy but nick manoilavich from the show savoir fare did one that you may be able to find online they were the BEST. when you baked them they puffed up to around 4 inches tall and just before they were done they would fall and be just over an inch! SOOOO dense and chewy also they were ment to have macadamias and pecans placed on top (they didnt need icing) do you know how good a pecan tastes after 2 hours in the oven, AMAZING!!! try and find the recipe let me know if you cant and i'll try and find my old cook book.
    Bryan

• aphrodite
    17 years ago

Outrageous Brownies

1 pound unsalted butter
    1 pound plus 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips, divided
    6 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    6 extra-large eggs
    3 tablespoons instant coffee powder
    2 tablespoons real vanilla extract
    2 1/4 cups sugar
    1 1/4 cups flour, divided
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    3 cups diced walnut pieces

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 13 x 18 by 1 1/2 inch sheet pan.

Melt together the butter, chocolate chips, and unsweetened chocolate on top of a double boiler. Cool slightly. Stir together the eggs, instant coffee, vanilla and sugar. Stir in the warm chocolate mixture and cool to room temperature.

Stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the walnuts and chocolate chips with flour to coat. Then add to the chocolate batter. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until tester just comes out clean. Halfway through the baking, rap the pan against the oven shelf to allow air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Do Not Overbake! Cool thoroughly, refrigerate well and cut into squares.

This is a recipe I make from Food Network (Barefoot Contessa)

• aphrodite
    17 years ago

This is my everyday recipe.

4 - 1 oz squares Baker's Unsweetened Chocolate
    3/4 cup margarine or butter
    2 cups sugar
    3 eggs
    1 teaspoon vanila
    1 cup flour
    1 cup chopped nuts

350 degree oven.
    Microwave chocolate & margarine in large bowl for 2 min. or until margarine melts. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Stir sugar into chocolate. Mix in eggs and vanilla until blended. Stir in flour and nuts.

Spread in greased and floured 13 x 9 inch pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with fudgy crumbs. Do Not Overbake. Cool in pan and cut into squares.

Note: When using glass baking dish, bake at 325.
    For cakeline brownies, stir in 1/2 cup milk with
    eggs; use 1 1/2 cups flour.

• Jaktup
    12 years ago

I found Nik's recipe from episode 416 of his show:

Brownies

In looking for the ultimate in brownie points, I thought we'd share the best brownie recipe we've ever come upon. It comes to us thanks to Sarah Shuken, a friend, who also works for L-Eat Catering. Sarah was graciously honest in informing us that her Mom gets the big brownie points for this one, as it is her scrumptious recipe. We decided to make a double recipe because it's so good and so easy.

Ingredients:

2 cups sweet butter
    2 cups white sugar
    2 cups brown sugar
    1 1/3 cup cocoa powder
    4 eggs
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    3 tsp baking powder
    3 tsp vanilla extract
    handful of macadamia nuts
    handful of pecans

Method:

Melt butter in a saucepan. Add sugar to mixing bowl and then pour in butter. Add brown sugar and cocoa powder. Stir together well, making sure to get out the lumps of the cocoa powder (*it can be quite bitter if you bake it with the lumps). Add eggs and continue to stir. Add flour, and baking powder. Fold all of it together. Add vanilla. Grease 9" x 13" baking pan with butter (*a great trick is to use the wrapper from a stick of butter). Transfer mix into baking pan and spread it out, making sure it reaches the sides and is as even and level as possible. Garnish the top with nuts, alternating between macadamia nuts and pecans, using them for portion-sizing. Bake at 350� for 40-45 minutes. When it's done, it will start to pull away from the sides and it might start to crack; however, the middle should be loose so that your brownies will be nice and chewy. Remove from pan and allow it to cool completely. Cut and enjoy!

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals