Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginnibug

Let's do fun stuff like....let's talk beer (or bier)

ginnibug
13 years ago

Around here, we like the stuff you can't see through. You know like a good German wheat or a nice cloudy monk bier. Ok my guiltiest pleasure are the fruit Lambic biers. I have discovered a nice little treat though. Leinenkugel has this lovely little number that is a Berry Weiss. Pretty inexpensive for a 6 pack instead of $10 for one bottle of Lambic. Oh my Goodness, line 'em up I'll knock 'em down. What do you all like. Maybe I'll find something new to try. Thanks ginnibug

Comments (5)

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

My son in law is like that, his beer can be cut with a knife. I'm totally boring having restricted myself to 'Coors Light' for decades. I also like 'Natural Light' which tastes similar but is much cheaper.

I love a cold beer on a hot day or with a football game but am really not looking for the alcohol effect which I actually dislike. Never took a liking to the alcohol free beers. I'm not a moralist, just a loser when it comes to drugs. In my 20s and 30s I was surrounded by pot smoking, and coke snorting friends and relatives, tried it and simply disliked the effect. Never used it again. I had a sign on my front door in the 80s which read: 'This is a no smoking house, thank you for your consideration.' Enforcing that in those days took a major effort. Alcohol makes me the life of a party, I go to sleep in a corner.

If the substance abuse industry had many more like me to deal with, they'd all go broke.

Nick

• ginnibug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh. Rereading my post from earlier; I guess it could be taken that we're lushes around our house. But I'm pretty much in the same spot you are Nick. Now a days, if I have two beers I'm junk.If I have a six pack in a month, it would surprise me. Yep asleep in the corner right next to Nick. I have gotten to the point that I only drink for the taste anymore. That berry beer just tastes so good. I guess that sort of goes along the lines that we follow with our choice of wine for the holidays too. My DH and I like the seeter ice wines or Moscatos. Can't tolerate the dry stuff, it's like rubbing alcohol. Where's the fun in that? ginnibug

• orchidnick
    13 years ago

For years it was rumored that red wine, consumed daily extended the life of men over 50. Finally a study was completed and it confirmed that, with some modifications. Both men and women benefite equally from daily consumption of alcohol. Red wine, white wine, beer or Cognac all have the same beneficial effect. Not much, one glass of wine or one beer does the job.

This was a 12 year study which was published approx 6 month ago and it showed a definite decrease of cardiac events associated with daily moderate or less alcohol use.

Since I have a couple of cardiac risk factors I started daily consumption, can't hurt and may do some good. I'm actually beginning to look forward to the nightly glass of red wine. I have such a discriminating taste for fine wines that the stuff one buys by the gallon works perfect for me!

Nick

• ntgerald
    13 years ago

I was really surprised by the results of recent studies. Drinkers live longer.
    I wonder what the physiological effects are. Because I am Asian, I metabolize alcohol poorly. A glass of wine, and I would be sleepy the whole day next day.

• ginnibug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Isn't that so interesting. I wonder what the chart looks like on the ethnicity breakdown for alcohol to be metabolized. In the same sense I wonder if there is a difference of chemical sensitivity?

I know certain groups of people can't eat fava beans and most Asian people are lactose intolerant.Know of anymore? Just being nosey! ginnibug