Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cbarry_gw

Carotid Endarterectomy - Any experiences or advice?

cbarry
17 years ago

DH needs this. We're only in the beginning stages of finding a vascular surgeon, etc. He was diagnosed with 70-90% blockage in 1 caotid, and something like 50% in the other. The 50% is too "clear" to be a concern at this point. His other cardiac and stress tests were OK (meaning no cardiac implications at this time).

I just got off the phone w/ my brother, who is an anesthesiologist (doesn't live near me tho), to get his comments and advice, so we're a lot further ahead than most people might be.

DH is pretty whacked out by this. He hasn't heard what I learned from DB yet (DH is at work). Mostly I think he needs the moral support (maybe me too). We both have medically related work/backgrounds so he understands enough to really freak out, while I tend to be very logical, direct, and cool.

So, I've googled this, but what really can we expect? Any advice or comments? A good friend's wife is a local internist, so I'm going to call in a "friend card" and ask for recommendations (for and against) specific drs and hospitals.

Sigh. At least my job lets me also take this as sick time, and my boss is personally very caring and generous with family needs. So I don't have to worry about that.

thanks, Carolyn

Comments (13)

• sambac
    17 years ago

It has become quite a common procedure these days, and things have changed. Don't get too anxious about it(hard to do that -isn't it), I am sure it will go fine, as you said- key is to get a good vascular surgeon to do this for you. Good Luck!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

Carolyn

Can't offer you any advice since I know nothing about this, but it really does look like you are way ahead of where most people would be who are facing something similar. Doing the research you need to do is the right way to go along with accepting the support I know you'll receive from family and friends.

Keep us posted. We're all thinking about you.

Kevin

• Judybird2014
    17 years ago

ditto what Kev said..
    big hug to you both~

• cbarry
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for the well wishes :)

Up next is an MRI to get a picture and confirm that surgery is necessary.

Carolyn

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

Congrats Carolyn, I think for the first time, a question has been posted no one knows much about and/or doesn't have an opinion on.

You've stumped us.

Joking aside, I'm sure your husband will be fine. It has become a fairly common procedure.

Laura

• cat80
    17 years ago

Hanging in there Carolyn, this is the time you need to be *there* for him, even though you need just as much support, or perhaps even more, since you need to care for both of you at this difficult moment... been in similar situation twice, I understand it isn't easy but he will pull thru, and so will you... think positive, and lots of luck to both of you...
    cat80

• komi
    17 years ago

I just looked this up and it is totally scary. What a relief to hear that it has become a relatively common procedure - modern medicine amazes me.

Good luck, best wishes, and keep us posted when you can.

• cbarry
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Laura- LOL! So this is what it takes to stump this group, maybe I should tell DH that...

Komi- Yes, it's scary surgery, even for me who can totally watch surgery on TV, and has done animal surgery. I'm the "house medic". This is just a little gruesome, somehow.

But apparently this is done like 5-8 times a week by many doctors. In and out in about an hour. Ah, yes, the miracles of modern medicine!

I'm sure everything will be fine, I just hope that the recovery is not 4-6 weeks as someone told DH...I just don't know about 4-6 weeks of him not going to work, and being home ALL OF THE TIME.

Again thanks to you all, I feel better already,
    Carolyn

• cbarry
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, all of your good wishes and vibes have paid off- we finally found out that surgery is not only not recommended, but that he's not sick enough (arteries aren't clogged enough) for surgery. Maybe we revisit this in 6 mos or a year, but he got a pass for now.

So that's good news!

Now onto the lifestyle changes and probably lipitor.

Thank you all!
    Carolyn

• Judybird2014
    17 years ago

fabulous news!!

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    17 years ago

I'm sooooooo happy for you both.

K

• michigoose
    17 years ago

I agree...it sounded soooo scary.

• cbarry
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you all again for your kind wishes!

I will probably be asking you all for "manly" meaty low cholesterol recipes :)

He'll eat veggies if I hide them under the steak ;)

Carolyn

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH