Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Update on my window problem

aachenelf z5 Mpls
17 years ago

I am so excited about this, I just had to report back.

Remember I had the two rotting storm windows in my dining room? I thought I had to replace them, but I donÂt. A friend told me about two products I wasnÂt even aware existed: Minwax Wood Hardener and Wood Fill. You brush on the wood hardener over any soft, rotting wood and it soaks in and strengthens and reinforces the wood fibers. Then you fill in any completely rotted areas with the wood fill. Once all is dry, you sand and paint as normal. I can fix these buggers!! I love fix it stuff!

K

Comments (7)

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Wow! I wonder what's in it? Doubtless this'll come in handy at some point in my life. Aren't old houses fun? (We're replacing the rest of our windows this fall)

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Doesn't say, but there are about a billion warnings on the can. This one is kind of fun: "Contains solvents which can cause permanent brain and nervous system damage." I guess I won't use the plastic tent over the work area. If I start posting lots of phal questions, you'll know I breathed in a few too many fumes.

I agree. Old houses are such fun. I think the next one is going to be something made from plastic and stainless steel.

• Driftless Roots
    17 years ago

Donate your body to a medical school and it's yours!

• tuezday1
    17 years ago

I could use some of this stuff too. Does it stop the rot or just slow it down? I guess you have to sand all the paint off first? Like I need any more projects while trying to move, but if it "hides" the fact that the window frames on the north side of the house are all rotting...

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think if you use enough of the stuff and treat all the rotted wood, it stops it. You have to remove all the really rotted wood until you get to stuff that is reasonable. The directions also say only to remove the loose and flaking paint, so it must be able to penetrate at least some paint. Once you have the existing wood stabilized, you use the wood fill product to rebuild. Maybe if I get motivated, IÂll take some pictures of the project and the progress.

• michigoose
    17 years ago

This is actually and epoxy which has been used in the conservation trade for years....at least that's one of the products that is available and I think this is just one of them. In the museum biz they used it when it was important to save as much of the original wood/material as possible. It can be sanded and painted.

Kind of like a super wood putty. It is important to 1. get all the rotted wood out and
    2. solve the problem which caused the rot in the first place.

Wood, when exposed to the conditions which CAUSED the problem (i.e. moisture) will continue to rot.

Now, Kev are you thinking of selling the house? Because, I'd really think about replacement windows. I used to be anti-replacement windows until I came to the understanding that not all houses should be preserved in their original state...if that was the case, then I wouldn't have just stripped out the nasty dog-pee smelling carpet and put down laminate in the family room (hey, I know, I prefer wood too, but this was the main entrance from the swimming pool after you go through the sunroom and dog did a number on the wood with her claws at the other house, so I thought this was the better way to go and I got a lovely handscraped hickory finish by Tarkett which actually has grainlines which RESEMBLE the print on the laminate, something which always bugged me!) and I put in granite instead of the nasty nasty formica that was here.....

• aachenelf z5 Mpls
    Original Author
    17 years ago

L

Nope, not selling the house. This is just something I discovered while doing the exterior painting thing. (Got the first floor done. YIP!!) I only have one window with the original wooden storm. It's the storm rotting, not the window itself and the rot isn't too bad - only the bottom of the window, so I know it's fixable. Plus, I like doing these kind of things. I tried the stuff out on another exterior sill and it worked really well.

Here's the original thread with a picture of the interior window.

Here is a link that might be useful: Window